Late night talk shows in the UK Page 3

Quote: fopdoodle @ 3rd March 2017, 12:30 PM

Graham Norton yelling and swearing at people on a cooking show?

Oh Yeah. He would be hilarious having a strop at a chef for over cooking their eyeliner. He is the King of late night shows, no wonder we have such high expectations of the Nightly show. Why not bring back Skinner and Baddiel ?

Quote: Firkin @ 5th March 2017, 10:13 AM

Oh Yeah. He would be hilarious having a strop at a chef for over cooking their eyeliner. He is the King of late night shows, no wonder we have such high expectations of the Nightly show. Why not bring back Skinner and Baddiel ?

Frank is definitely up there with the best. I used to find him a tad grubby like Jimmy Carr using lad's humour too much when I thought he was better than that, but I think he's just grown out of it now and he is just constantly comically brilliant and very likeable with it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd December 2015, 9:12 AM

The only one we used to have was in the late 80s/early 90s I seem to recollect - the live "After Dark", that would go on with no set time to end and would usually end when everyone was too pissed to be coherent and/or an argument broke out. There were more serious ones, but they weren't so interesting. :D

I remember Anthony Burgess was always very interesting and one of them was when he became obsessed with someone's sex life (can't remember who the other person was now unfortunately!) and there was another on comedy where a big argument broke out and somebody stormed out big time, but thinking about it now that may have been another late night show.

It's all a bit blurred now, my recollection, as they would all sit there drinking and smoking and you would be doing the same..

Came searching for the background to the Nightly Show (fail, imho) and found this interesting post. All the After Dark shows - including that one with Anthony Burgess - are listed on a special page on Wikipedia:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_After_Dark_editions

and they also have quite a good article on the series itself:-

https://tinyurl.com/hzc6gqo

Wow, don't remember all them, but then it was after the pubs shut and I was home starting on the bevvies - bet this one was good :-

26 January 1991 Do Men Have To Be Violent?

Helena Kennedy (Chair)

Antoinette Giancana, Neil Lyndon, Keith Simpson, Arthur Hyatt Williams, Oliver Reed, Kate Millett, Elliott Leyton

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th March 2017, 10:57 AM

Wow, don't remember all them, but then it was after the pubs shut and I was home starting on the bevvies - bet this one was good :-

26 January 1991 Do Men Have To Be Violent

Here's the link from Wikipedia about that programme:

https://tinyurl.com/jh68lsc

Ho ho!

Thanks for that - what larks!

"Although Reed was not the only disruptive guest in the history of After Dark, what put this particular show into the headlines was not so much Reed's behaviour as C4's. It took the show off the air for 20 minutes, filling the space with an old documentary about coal mining. When our programme returned, Reed was still on set and still disruptive."

Love it - Ollie Reed, the man's man who couldn't give a shit, and the furore that went on in that 20 minutes!

It was a great series though and a shame it's not on now as there are still " I couldn't give a damn characters" about. Johnny Vegas would be good on that for example.

Watching John Bishop on the Nightly Show. I like him but not on this. This is not getting any better.

Couldn't we have someone like Alexander Armstrong or Dara O'Briain?

Or Rob Brydon.

Quote: Will Cam @ 8th March 2017, 10:15 PM

Watching John Bishop on the Nightly Show. I like him but not on this. This is not getting any better.

I've never seen John Bishop miss the mark until this show, he was quiet stilted. Where as Norton, Carr & Ross have that natural , talking to your mate, feel about their shows. Maybe it's the writers ? I see Mel and Sue have pulled out. Maybe Basil Brush should do it, even a dead horse would be funnier.

Bring back Roland - savior of GMTV and described as being the only rat to join a sinking ship.

I am being serious.

Actually I think John Bishop is a really natural likeable bloke. I saw the Roger Daltrey one and really enjoyed it and now watching Pamela Anderson although - surprisingly - just for Bishop.

Pamela Anderson looks hideous. She just looks soooo plastic and her lips look disgusting.

She still looks tight but I wouldn't even go to Tesco's with that hair . . . I'd have put a hat on!

And trouble with lipstick any shade darker than your lips . . . you have to balance your eye make up with it otherwise they look tired and piggy.

John is a very natural interviewer, but the show is still a dud riddled with flaws.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th March 2017, 10:57 AM

26 January 1991 Do Men Have To Be Violent?

Helena Kennedy (Chair)

Antoinette Giancana, Neil Lyndon, Keith Simpson, Arthur Hyatt Williams, Oliver Reed, Kate Millett, Elliott Leyton

Oh that one is notorious!

A bit here:

I loved The James Whale Show which had a similar format to The Word but James kept a firm hand at keeping things in order. There were interviews and music and also regular slots like my favourite 'Justice With Jacobs' when solicitor Gary Jacobs would answer legal questions put to him from members of the audience. He was no nonsense and to the point but also very nice and courtious to people which made him a firm favourite so I was saddened when he passed away in 2002. He also had a weekly legal advice column in the Daily Mirror called Justice With Jacobs with a picture of him as a judge and giving replies to legal queries.

The audio to this episode is blocked in my country which is a bummer but if you spin on to 22:40 you can see James introducing Gary for his segment.