You, Me And The Apocalypse

I've not seen this yet, I've been very busy. Only seen the trailer

My first thought is setting it in Slough is a No no. Slough is synonymous with The Office. That puts me off it. Are they trying to make out it's set in an insignificant place (comedy device)? But that has already been used by the The Office, so what are they doing trying to run off the back of the popularity of The Office? Not very intelligent comedy writing.

Any thoughts?

All the different storylines are set in all sorts of places all over the world.
I've never seen anything less like The Office.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough...

I watched the first two episodes and then I didn't return. If they were 30 mins. long an episode or 23mins. with ads, I would have been more interested in hanging on to it. Cast is great.

I think I'm about 4 or 5 episodes in. It's brilliant.

Quote: Perky @ 14th November 2015, 6:50 AM GMT

I've not seen this yet, I've been very busy. Only seen the trailer

My first thought is setting it in Slough is a No no. Slough is synonymous with The Office. That puts me off it. Are they trying to make out it's set in an insignificant place (comedy device)? But that has already been used by the The Office, so what are they doing trying to run off the back of the popularity of The Office? Not very intelligent comedy writing.

Any thoughts?

I imagine Slough specifically was picked because the original title of the series was Apocalypse Slough.

As for reusing a specific setting, I couldn't begin to count the number of sitcoms set in the same places in London.

And Slough is very definitely a valid 'insignificant' comedy location, whether it's been done before or not!

I wonder how it did in the ratings. I thought it lost its way as it progressed and the last few episodes seemed bizarre and not just because of the end of time. It's a show that always tried to keep some realism in what was happening but that went out the window late on. Then there was the second coming story that came and went without much conclusion.

As for Slough, I don't see the problem. There is nothing similar about the two shows at all. It's almost like saying I saw Friends on my telly so I can't watch anything funny on my telly anymore.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 4th December 2015, 2:07 PM GMT

I wonder how it did in the ratings.

Average of 230,000 based on 9 of the 10 overnight ratings.

I thought it was a great series. Had me captivated throughout. Some faults, certainly, but really so, SO good overall I can't complain much. I'm praying Sky orders more.

Sky ratings I guess are a little different as everyone of their viewers is paying so much more than the license fee.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th December 2015, 2:49 PM GMT

Average of 230,000 based on 9 of the 10 overnight ratings.

Do we know if that's good for Sky?

Their current number 1 show has 78,000.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th December 2015, 3:01 PM GMT

Their current number 1 show has 78,000.

Wow! Then that's a great return. It had great ambition, that's for sure. And I watched them all but overall was left a bit disappointed by the last few episodes and the ending itself.

did the world actually end it?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th December 2015, 4:23 PM GMT

did the world actually end it?

They didn't confirm it! After all that. They ended it with a 'twist' they telegraphed a bit earlier.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 4th December 2015, 2:54 PM GMT

Do we know if that's good for Sky?

It's pretty good, yeah. I don't have Wednesday's figures at the moment, but their top rated show yesterday was an episode The Simpsons with 310k, and on Tuesday it was another Simpsons with 249k.

Mostly depends on how it's received in the US though.