Peep Show - Series 9 Page 7

Quote: sootyj @ 17th December 2015, 6:57 AM GMT

Beautiful but sad, especially as you know it ended just before the door got kicked down y the police. Peep Show in prison? C'mon Mark would be a perfect creepy librarian and Jez could get hilariously conflicted about being raped in the shower.
They'd share a cell of course like Porridge crossed with Shawshanks.
You pissed in my piss!

You've just storylined "Peep Show: The Movie" Sooty. A bit like the play "Cell Mates", but with more warmth, wit and wooly hugs.

Quote: T.W. @ 17th December 2015, 12:35 AM GMT

I am normally loathe to suggest a spin-off of any sitcom, but part of me wishes that we might see a Bergerac-style "SuperHans' Macedonian Moped Hire."

Quote: Nogget @ 17th December 2015, 2:54 PM GMT

The very same sentiment was expressed by a journalist on The Radio Times. Let's start tweeting Armstrong and Bain.

I thought the last episode was like the rest of the series. Okay, but a bit perfunctory by PS standards. All the stories seemed to be echoes of ones we'd seen done better in previous series. And none of the new characters really left much of an impression. But still head and shoulders above most of today's sitcom standards.

There were puzzling little ends that weren't tied up, for example, the exchange between Mark and April where she said condoms weren't necessary. What was the point of that?

Quote: Nogget @ 17th December 2015, 6:31 PM GMT

There were puzzling little ends that weren't tied up, for example, the exchange between Mark and April where she said condoms weren't necessary. What was the point of that?

Even that last scene felt like the writers weren't totally convinced Peep Show had finished.

That said, it's not the only point this series when they seemed to be setting something up which didn't quite pan out. Megan's threat to make Jeremy cry "delicious tears" being an obvious case in point. Maybe they were just getting sloppier.

At least they neatly evaded an unlikely cheesy happy ending. I thought bringing Jeff back was a nice touch too.

I got the impression Jez cried off camera like Mark's second toilet shag.

Part of the power of the show is the confidence not to show everything.

You hardly ever see little Ian but you don't have much doubt Mark loves him.

Quote: enigmatic @ 17th December 2015, 8:51 PM GMT

it's not the only point this series when they seemed to be setting something up which didn't quite pan out.

Yes. It felt like the writers were seeding potential plotlines, perhaps in the knowledge that they wouldn't follow them all up; but then chose not to edit these bits out. Whatever the reasons, I quite like the way they act as red herrings, and it's an interesting practise to remember when we hear the standard advice that a writer should rigorously pare the script back.