Writing comedy in Birmingham

Hi, I'm a 22 year old guy living in brum looking to write/perform/think comedy with people in the area. The thing I find funniest (at the moment) is The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer. This is my latest video from my awful YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWJhcPWuBk

Get in touch if you want to chuck ideas at each other, preferably people aged around 18-30 but if you have similar taste in comedy that's all that matters.

Cheers

Louis

I did not find your video very funny, it really needs work doing to it, editing, and getting rid of the awful noise part way through, and I have no idea who Lidl (?)are. It does come across as very amateurish. However give your self balls for putting something out there.
Last time I chucked an idea at someone he ducked and it flew out the window never to be seen again. Shame it wasn't a boomerang.
This sounds very harsh however as I keep being told, edit, edit, edit then you may have something worth publishing, it's a hard world out there that owes you nothing, so do not expect a damn thing. I am now wondering why I keep this person as a friend.

Strumpet

Quote: Louis Tierney @ 31st October 2015, 1:10 AM GMT

preferably people aged around 18-30.

You do know this isn't a holiday club ? I really would like to say encouraging things, but you've taken a worn format and stripped the humour out of it. I also agreed with Strumpet's comments. But good on ya for having a bash.

Quote: Strumpet @ 1st November 2015, 6:29 AM GMT

I did not find your video very funny, it really needs work doing to it, editing, and getting rid of the awful noise part way through, and I have no idea who Lidl (?)are. It does come across as very amateurish. However give your self balls for putting something out there.
Last time I chucked an idea at someone he ducked and it flew out the window never to be seen again. Shame it wasn't a boomerang.
This sounds very harsh however as I keep being told, edit, edit, edit then you may have something worth publishing, it's a hard world out there that owes you nothing, so do not expect a damn thing. I am now wondering why I keep this person as a friend.

Strumpet

As you're from Oz you wouldn't know what Lidl is (basically its a bit like Coles) & he's taking the mick out of the TV advert campaign. Apart from that I agree with everything you've said.

Its just not funny & before you're putting something out there for the public to comment on you need it as tight as possible. This just feels like a first draft led to a quick film & oh well sod it that will do. It won't, especially in this day & age.

Okay, so people are quick to criticise.

I think it was a good attempt and if it was filmed properly without the awkward stopping, starting and strange whistle, then it would have been bizarre in the same vein as Reeves and Mortimer.

People are too quick to be negative. You've had a go and made something with the tools you have to hand.

Now, find someone to do this with. Someone with a camera who can film it and control that so you can concentrate on your performance. Maybe try to find film students or anyone with a decent SLR that does video. Also you need someone who has some sort of video editing software. Put some opening titles on there.

Credit where credit is due, you've not just talked about doing something you've actually got off your arse and you're trying to do something. Ignore the keyboard warriors, keep going.

I've written something and approached someone who runs a local production company who I knew from way back. Showed them the script, they like it and suggested writing a script for a three minute teaser. They were interested in filming comedy drama which was not something they had done before. So, we both started working together to make it happen.
I wrote a teaser script, then we needed to find actors. Couldn't find any volunteers so we needed to pay people. To get funding we entered a competition to create a comedy on line advert for Barclaycard. We won. We now have funding and last week we auditioned actors for the roles and we now have two actors and a crew lined up to make the teaser for the sitcom I've written.

Then we'll have a full series written as well as a teaser to drum up interest and show how serious we are about this. It might not go any further towards being fully made, but we're having a good go and I'm loving the journey and seeing something I've written being performed with enthusiasm by actors.

If you want to make things happen, you can do it. You've posted on here, to network to help your cause and shown an idea to show what you're about. You're giving it a crack. Keep going and take on board any feedback you get regardless of how negative it might be. It will make you better but equally, take some of it with a pinch of salt.

Best of luck fellow Brummie

It's kinda weak but it could work, poor production values and all.

Basically it's a vine that you've made a minute long.

You could get the whole thing down to 10 seconds and it could work.