Together Page 2

Ellen's car also appeared in Keith Lemon's Back T'Future Tribute, fact fans.

I found the 4th ep a little frustrating. Getting the whole cast out to the woods seemed a bit contrived and then why Tom didn't just call Ellen when he saw her being driven away bemused me. He had gone missing to take a call, she then texted him later like it was nothing. I get it was setup for him getting caught in the smallest and most avoidable reenactment but it took me out of the episode. You got to stick to the rules of characters and they were texting/calling so much throughout apart from when it really mattered.

There's a lot to like about this show otherwise.

Quote: italophile @ 21st October 2015, 8:03 AM BST

Adapted from his Radio 4 sitcom Hard To Tell which worked a treat. I've only caught up with the first ep for which he'd cannibalised bits and pieces from eps of the R4 original, which is understandable.

His real gift is lovely dialogue, rapid interplay, non-sequiters. It worked beautifully on radio. I thought it too often less successful on the screen with such conventional TV direction, cutting between single shots. The rhythms are lost. Needs a simpler, one-shot style, letting the dialogue sing. That said, Sweet's very talented in the Tom Basden-style, and good on him.

I really enjoyed Hard to Tell. It is a shame he did not just transfer straight to TV. I have not been as impressed with Together but there have been moments of genius such as breaking into the flat of Geoffrey McGivern. Ellen is a tougher character but also less funny. It may just be because Charlotte Ritchie was so good but the new Ellen just does not have the same timing. Maybe she is more of a drama actor as I have only seen her Downton Abbey prior to this.

It is worth watching just for the clips of Alex MacQueen and Vicki Pepperdine. That is one pairing he kept from Hard to Tell and works very well. Also good cameo from Tim Key as the policeman.

I enjoyed the weird dad and his snail obsession. My stepfather's personal minibeast preference is bees. He used to create slide shows of them.