Come-back sitcoms - which ones would work? Page 2

Brittas Empire - my understanding is that one of the original writers has written a script for a special that is either being made for a Christmas special for this year or next, that was the gist of what Chris Barrie said at a recent convention anyway.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th September 2015, 7:42 AM BST

'Early Doors' is possibly the most under-rated British sitcom of all time, which is all the more surprising when one considers that it is (in my view) also one of the best British sitcoms of all time.

It was originally to be a joint writing enterprise between Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash but, when CA pulled out, the BBC wanted to abandon the project as CA was seen as very much the major talent of the writing duo.

Luckily for comedy fans everywhere, CC was able to persuade the BBC to carry on with the project and the result was a show that (in my view, again) outshines The Royle Family like the sun outshines the moon.

Wow, a big Early Doors fan then.

I reckon you're very much in the minority with the opinion of ED outshining RF. Very much so indeed.

I personally preferred Early Doors to The Royle Family as well but doubtless there are many who disagree.

There are lots of shows that I would love to see back, in a way, but that doesn't mean that they would all be a good idea. Getting the original writers of shows back together would be crucial for pretty much all of them though.

So, we're agreed? Early Doors it is.

Boom.

I think it would be good if they did a selection of one-off comeback episodes of sitcoms for Christmas or something like that.

Just one perfect 'where are they now' episode, which would probably be better than trying to do a whole series.

I think Drop the Dead Donkey would be one that would work though only if Jenkins and Hamilton wrote it again and they could find a way of getting round the fact that Sir Royston sold off Globelink.
I quite like the idea that they end up back in the same building for whatever reason and after all the time that's passed Gus is still there in his office but he's gone completely feral.
The fun they could have with phone hacking, super injunctions, Berlusconi, FIFA, Big Brother (Sally and Henry end up being Housemates)

Quote: Flavian @ 23rd September 2015, 6:03 PM BST

Early Doors would stand out now I reckon. It'd be great to see a list, like the Wikipedia page on Oscar winners, of each year and which new British sitcoms had been released. We could probably pick a shed-load that, with slight tweaks/different casts, could be well remade.

Granted you can't (yet) filter by sitcom, but: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/year/

Quote: Mutley @ 28th September 2015, 2:14 PM BST

I think it would be good if they did a selection of one-off comeback episodes of sitcoms for Christmas or something like that.

Just one perfect 'where are they now' episode, which would probably be better than trying to do a whole series.

That's an idea I've always had!

What are Basil and Sybil up to now etc

Did Frank Spencer's daughter, Jessica end up just like him?

What happened to Tristram from George and Mildred?

Whatever happened next to the likely lads?

Quote: Woozie @ 23rd September 2015, 4:58 PM BST

I would like to see Goodnight Sweetheart make a return. Even if it was a different cast in the same universe. Change up the time periods and whatnot.

http://www.marksandgran.com/blog/2013/09/23/for-all-you-sweeties/

Quote: Nestor Carbuncle @ 28th September 2015, 11:00 PM BST

I think Drop the Dead Donkey would be one that would work though only if Jenkins and Hamilton wrote it again and they could find a way of getting round the fact that Sir Royston sold off Globelink.
I quite like the idea that they end up back in the same building for whatever reason and after all the time that's passed Gus is still there in his office but he's gone completely feral.
The fun they could have with phone hacking, super injunctions, Berlusconi, FIFA, Big Brother (Sally and Henry end up being Housemates)

I want DTDD to return too, but I won't be pausing the recording of Dave/Neil Pearson taking his clothes off like he did in series two. He's older now and well, I know that acting is 'art', but he's written a very well respected book and directed stuff on stage and all that.

I'm sure it could return though. Maybe George could return after Margaret's death and Helen would be forced back into seeking paid employment following the demise of her sandwich business after the great yeast famine of 2008?

Dave got his kit off did he? I don't remember that bit at all, then again I don't tend to remember that sort of thing.

Actually speaking of Andy Hamilton's work I know it's radio based but I would love for some more Old Harry's Game, I only got into it last year because I missed it first time around as I had no time for radio when I was a teen but with Clegg, Miliband, Salmond, Farage, Osborne and Cameron and that bloody pig and various other politicians etc there would be no shortage of gags.

I'd love to see a TV version of that but only if Andy Hamilton still played the devil, the tone of his voice makes the jokes work for me even if they're blatantly obvious. I know an animated pilot was done a couple of years ago but it didn't really work.

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/some-mothers-do-ave-em-to-make-bbc-comeback-11364009040779

Do you like circuses?

(^ in the best episode ever)

Secondly, if it's been off air for a few years, don't bring it back, it doesn't work. Exhibit A, "Still Open All Hours"

I must admit though, just to contracdict myself, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads was better than the original (though I didn't see many of the originals to be fair).

T

Quote: TonyT @ 30th October 2015, 10:29 PM GMT

Secondly, if it's been off air for a few years, don't bring it back, it doesn't work. Exhibit A, "Still Open All Hours"

In your personal opinion. It's been a huge success.