Six Degrees of Separation

I think this a one off pilot, and that's all it deserves to be in my eyes - being how to make science boring, which is a shame as there were some interesting people on the panels; but inevitably there was a lot of boffin in jokes which didn't help.

Chaired by Brian Cox (like) with team captains Hugh Dennis (like) and Ben Miller (like) with participants Alice Roberts (like), Jim Al-Khalili (like), Steve Jones (made a fool of himself on Only Connect) and finally a lady I hadn't heard of Hannah Fry (mathematician?)

I watch all the physics/science progs. that my "like" people present, but in this instance for me it is a non-starter.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th September 2015, 11:53 AM BST

I think this a one off pilot, and that's all it deserves to be in my eyes - being how to make science boring, which is a shame as there were some interesting people on the panels; but inevitably there was a lot of boffin in jokes which didn't help.

Chaired by Brian Cox (like) with team captains Hugh Dennis (like) and Ben Miller (like) with participants Alice Roberts (like), Jim Al-Khalili (like), Steve Jones (made a fool of himself on Only Connect) and finally a lady I hadn't heard of Hannah Fry (mathematician?)

I watch all the physics/science progs. that my "like" people present, but in this instance for me it is a non-starter.

I don't understand why they didn't just try transferring The Infinite Monkey Cage to TV instead.

I don't particularly care for Professor Brian Cox, but I did enjoy this programme. I'm not sure whether it was really a pilot or a one-off, but I think with some refinements it could be very good. Felt like a more sciencey QI.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th September 2015, 1:56 PM BST

Felt like a more sciencey QI.

That probably explains a lot then, as I went off that some years ago - too samey.

This just seemed to be a jolly jaunt for the current batch of science presenters.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th September 2015, 1:56 PM BST

I don't particularly care for Professor Brian Cox, but I did enjoy this programme. I'm not sure whether it was really a pilot or a one-off, but I think with some refinements it could be very good. Felt like a more sciencey QI.

I have no strong feelings either way for Brian Cox. I just wish he'd stop calling himself Brian Cox. You're not Brian Cox! Brian Cox is Brian Cox. The Scottish actor from Manhunter. You're someone else!

I think Professor Brian Cox should always be referred to as 'not the actor, Brian Cox'.

Could he start calling himself Brian Cant?

Brain Cox?

I missed this so glad it was posted here so I can iPlayer.

If you're of a scientific bent (no homophobic slurs intended), the science content of this programme may be enough to keep you watching.

However, the alleged connections between the various 'things' are, it seems, at best tenuous and at worst almost non-existent.

And the basis upon which Brian Cox awards points (often for completely wrong answers) remains a mystery to me.

I like the show despite its faults, which is perhaps all that matters.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th September 2015, 11:53 AM BST

Same here, apart from Steve Jones, never saw him at anything; I quite liked everyone, what I didn't like is panel's format, what is the point of binding discussions to some sort of a weird reward points system, wouldn't be easier just sit in chairs and joke around? And despite the fact that Brian Cox is being a host I didn't like his delivery on rounds; not that it was boring, but not quite 'alive' due to the format of the show (i did like his show on science in DW) Pleased