Fried - Series 1

Three weeks in and no thread? Are viewers loving or hating it? Nice to see Matthew Cottle of Game On fame still on TV after 20 years. He's less ginger now.

Always a big fan of Katy Wix and yeah, I think it's alright. I get a couple of laughs out of it.

Saw about 34 seconds of it the other night

That was plenty

Yes - I like Katy but I watched a bit and it is a bit forced.

I'm not totally sold on it but I'm just watching it to see Matthew Cottle back on our screens.

Last night's was the weakest so far. It lacks customer interaction, it could be so much funnier if it included people from all walks of life that do go/end up in chicken shops from morning till the dead of night.

I keep turning it on but nothing encourages me to pay attention or keep watching - not even Katy Wix.

Fried is as dismal and dire as the setting it's based upon. Its just got a good cast is all.

I didn't think much of it to start with but for some reason I stuck with it and I have to say that it's grown on me. While it's not groundbreaking it has its moments, though I can see how people wouldn't like it.

Quote: tonecapone @ 8th September 2015, 1:31 PM BST

Three weeks in and no thread? Are viewers loving or hating it? Nice to see Matthew Cottle of Game On fame still on TV after 20 years. He's less ginger now.

I've noticed that ginger people in general do get less ginger as they age

Fried has set sitcom writing back 20 years. It's amateurish and contrived - and an insult to the thousands of superior ideas and scripts that have been rejected in favour of this supreme dross.

Quote: Hugh Pitcher @ 28th September 2015, 3:55 PM BST

...and an insult to the thousands of superior ideas and scripts that have been rejected in favour of this supreme dross.

Are you bitter?

I only watched this as I have a crush for Katy Wix. Weird crush probably.

As a comedy - how is this stuff signed off by the commissioner at the BBC? It's desperate stuff. Bad acting mostly and just not convincing.

For example, in the first episode, the girl at the till was on her phone whilst some appalling actor was ordering his meal. She was obnoxious and unrealistically rude to his face while he just accepted it and walked out.

I know it's meant to be light entertainment and not some crime drama, but I still like to see an element of realism in a comedy.

Matthew Cottle was funny in places and Katy Wix is, despite me finding her quite sexy and cute for a chubby bird (not relevant I know), is kind of a one trick pony with her comedy acting style.

The guy in the chicken suit is just another Jay Cartwright and completely pointless. The awkward lad who fancied the rude girl is an extension of Simon from Inbetweeners also.

Come on, BBC, you can do better than this.

I can't even judge whether the acting is good or bad when the characters are this weak. Chantelle is probably the most pointless regular character I've seen in any genre, and a real waste of an experienced actress (surprised she's not listed on the credits as 'angry black woman'), but absolutely none of the characters seemed to show any development from episode to episode.

It says a lot about the show that the centrepiece is two amazingly dull characters. The Joe / Amara relationship (needy obsessive boy / attractive but vacuous girl) wobbled backwards and forwards between the two classic resolutions (she discovers he's caring and deep / he discovers she's self-obsessed and shallow). Each time the writers hit the reset button and the exact same tedious exchange begins anew.

Cottle's character was ostensibly a work obsessive out to overthrow the incompetent Mary throughout the whole series. Classic comedy setup. Shame they threw it away in the first episode (Cottle's character discusses his plans with a disguised Mary). The reset button here? 'It was all a joke.' Seriously. They occasionally refer to this ambition throughout the rest of the series, but the character spends the awards ceremony - surrounded by everyone important in the company he's supposedly dedicated his life to - getting drunk out of boredom. Nice consistency there.

Bagshawe's one of the oddest creations I've ever seen in a comedy. Every episode he seems to be a completely different character: distant, by-the-book overseer of worker drones when he demotes Mary to shop manager in one episode; overlooking Mary's threatening behaviour because he values her integrity in another; open to bribery by Cottle's character in the next; hugely unconvincing closet gay in another: 'A woman's anus is completely different from a man's anus, Mary. You should know that.' - yeah, that's about the quality of writing throughout.

Overall, wholly incompetent show that has probably harmed the careers of all involved. Unfairly at that; I really don't think there's anything the actors could have done with this rubbish.

(And yep, I unashamedly watched them all out of a sense of morbid curiosity.)

I tried it but can't be bothered to try it again.