New sitcom episode, first half

EXT.FIELD-DAY

A stretch of short grass outside some farm buildings, a soldier GARY (late teens, athletic, good looking) is digging a trench. LT RILEY (mid 20's, short, aloof) approaches the trench carrying his rifle, he stops and hunkers at the edge of the trench.

LT RILEY

Afternoon, Miller.

GARY

Sir!

LT RILEY

Trench nearly finished I see.

GARY

Nearly, Sir.

LT RILEY nods as he looks at the trench then clicks his tongue a few times.

LT RILEY

Okay, and a fine job you've done of it too but I need you to stop and fill it back in.

GARY stops and looks at LT RILEY with confusion.

GARY

Sir?

LT RILEY

I have it on good authority that Lima Troop will be carrying out a surprise attack on our camp tonight and this trench is in the wrong place.

GARY

Which way are they attacking from, Sir?

LT RILEY points out at the field and woods directly opposite the nearly finished trench.

LT RILEY

The enemy will most likely attack from that direction and of course since it is a surprise attack it would seem overly convenient for a fire trench to be directly on their line of approach.

GARY leans on his shovel.

GARY

So no trench, Sir?

LT RILEY

Oh no, we still need a trench, to show we're prepared for any unexpected surprise attacks that might happen.

GARY

Like a surprise, surprise attack, Sir?

LT RILEY

Exactly!

GARY climbs out of the trench and takes a drink of water from a bottle.

GARY

So, Sir, where would you like this new trench digging?

LT RILEY surveys the area around him and points at a nine foot wall near the farmhouse.

LT RILEY

About twenty feet back from that wall should do it.

GARY

Facing the wall, Sir?

LT RILEY

(contemplative)

Yes, yes I think so.

LT RILEY stands up looking pleased with himself as GARY prepares to fill in the trench he begins to walk away.

GARY

Sir?

LT RILEY

Yes, Miller?

GARY

What if they attack over the wall?

LT RILEY looks at the wall then laughs.

LT RILEY

Don't be stupid, Miller. Only a total imbecile would attack over that wall.

LT RILEY walks off smirking as GARY shakes his head in exasperation.

Across the field a heavily camouflaged soldier views the fire trench through his binoculars. He speaks quietly into a radio.

SOLDIER

Zero this is Echo-Two-One. Route Alpha is locked down, over.

ZERO

(over radio)

Roger, Echo-Two-One. How about Route Bravo? Over.

The soldier trains his binoculars on the nine foot wall.

SOLDIER

All clear, over.

ZERO

Roger that, extract to the rendez-vous point, out.

INT.MESS TENT-DAY

OLLY the chef (early thirties, bulky, miserable) is skulking over some pans of foul looking stew. MEL (mid twenties, short, tomboyish) is talking to him.

MEL

Come on, Olly. Don't hold out on me.

OLLY

Not now, Mel.

JONESY (mid twenties, stocky, shifty) enters the mess tent he is looking agitated as he approaches MEL.

JONESY

Mel....

MEL

Hang on! Olly, come on.

OLLY

Can't you see I'm busy?

MEL

Unless you plan on pouring the elixir of life itself into those pans then nothing you do will stop it tasting like reheated manure.

OLLY

Will you go away if I get it for you?

MEL holds up her right hand

MEL
Pinky promise.

OLLY shuffles to the back of the mess tent and sifts through a large green box

JONESY

What's he doing?

MEL

He's searching for the holy grail, Jonesy. The lost treasures of the Incas, the secrets of Atlantis and the golden fleece all stewed up inside a boilable silver packet of utter delight.

OLLY tosses a bulging foil pouch at MEL, she shows it to Jonesy with a flourish.

MEL

Behold, he most delicious of boil in the bag field rations.

JONESY

(reading the bag)

"Stew, chick and Mush" hang on a second?

JONESY tries to grab the bag from MEL who pulls it away and wags a finger.

MEL

Ah, ah, ah, I got first dibs.

JONESY

Mel, it's three years out of date!

MEL

That's just European health and safety crap, these babies are good for a hundred years. Now, if you'll excuse me this girl's got a date with a mess tin and a spork.

MEL goes to walk out of the tent but JONESY stops her.

JONESY

While I fully accept your right to kill yourself with food poisoning we have a bigger problem.

MEL

What?

JONESY leads MEL over to a corner of the tent and leans in closely, he speaks quietly.

JONESY

Gary just told me that Lima troop are hitting us with a surprise attack tonight.

MEL

So?

JONESY

So, if they get into the compound it's game over, we'll have to bug out and that might be a problem as I have a visitor tonight.

MEL

Ah, the lovely Kerry. She's coming out here? We're on exercise in the middle of nowhere, Jonesy.

JONESY

I know, but she really wants to see me. She thinks it'll be romantic.

MEL

Oh yeah! A nice romantic dinner by firefight.

JONESY

Exactly, that's why we have to stop it.

MEL

We? What makes this my problem?

JONESY points at single stripe on the rank slide on his chest.

JONESY

Because I am your Corporal...

MEL

Lance-Corporal.

JONESY

....Lance-Corporal..

MEL

Acting.

JONESY

...and you don't want to be moving all of this junk to the other side of the training area at three o'clock in the morning any more than I do.

MEL

Alright, what do you have in mind?

INT.HEADQUARTERS TENT - DAY

SGT THOMAS (early 30's, female, attractive) is sitting at a table working on a laptop computer, LT RILEY enters and takes off his weapon and helmet.

LT RILEY

All very thrilling stuff, eh Sergeant?

SGT THOMAS

What's that, Sir?

LT RILEY

The surprise attack. Obviously we're not supposed to know about it so I thought I'd play it canny. Moved around the defensive positions, revised the guard roster. Keep them guessing, eh?

LT RILEY shows SGT THOMAS a multi-coloured timetable of chaotic randomness.

SGT THOMAS

Very good, Sir.

SGT THOMAS does not look up from her work on the laptop, LT RILEY regards her for a moment.

lt riley

You seem to have been quite sparing with the camouflage cream, Sergeant Thomas.

SGT THOMAS opens up a small camouflage cream compact and inspects the mirror. She has a few slight daubs of brown and green on her face.

SGT THOMAS

I've got a sufficient amount on, Sir.

LT RILEY goes to speak as MR HOSKINS (early 50's, civillian, bawdy) enters the tent unannounced. SGT THOMAS is visibly repulsed at the sight of him.

MR HOSKINS

Sergeant! I thought it was your motley crew here again. You're looking as beautiful as ever.

SGT THOMAS

Actually sir, I think you've got a point about the cam cream.

SGT THOMAS starts smearing the cam cream on her face liberally.

LT RILEY

Ah, you must be Mister Hoskins. I'm Leuitenant Riley, Officer Commanding of Turtle Troop. Everything okay I take it?

MR HOSKINS and LT RILEY shake hands.

MR HOSKINS

Not exactly, that fellow of yours out there looks like he's trying to re-enact the bloody Somme. I hope you're going to put it all back?

LT RILEY

Well you know this is M.O.D. property, Mister Hoskins....

MR HOSKINS

Well the M.O. Bloody D doesn't have to keep pulling my wife's little ankle biter out of these oversized latrine pits every other week.

LT RILEY

I assure you, Sir...

JONESY pops his head through the flaps of the tent.

JONESY

Hope you don't mind, Sir. Just going to take a few of the lads out on a little light patrol.

LT RILEY

Oh, right, Good man, Corporal. But please be discreet after all tonight..

JONESY

Oh yes I know Sir. The surprise attack. Don't worry Sir, discretion is my creed.

LT RILEY

Very good.

JONESY pops his head back out of the tent.

MR HOSKINS

What bloody surprise attack?

OUTSIDE the tent a heavily armed JONESY gives the thumbs up to MEL who is greedily slurping the last of her boil in the bag meal down her throat. She is carrying two machine guns and is weighed down with bullets and grenades.

MEL

Let's rock!

EXT.FIELD-DUSK

GARY is finishing off the second trench as he digs LAURA (late teens, plump, pretty) stands at the edge of the trench and stares down at him.

LAURA

Are you a soldier?

GARY looks up at LAURA then looks down at his uniform and weapon before resuming digging.

GARY

What makes you think that?

LAURA

My daddy doesn't like soldiers. He says you're noisy and you keep going doodoo in his veg patch.

GARY

Doodoo?

LAURA looks around worriedly before leaning in closer.

LAURA

(quietly)

Pooing.

Gary

Riiiigghht!

GARY digs for a few moments longer in silence.

LAURA

Do you like my dress?

GARY regards the somewhat plain and possibly home-made dress.

GARY

I'm not really an expert in these things.

LAURA clenches her fists and speaks through gritted teeth

LAURA

Say you like the dress!

GARY

What the.....?

LAURA startles as she hears the noise of clinking ammunition. MEL, JONESY and OLLY approach the fire trench. LAURA hisses at GARY and runs away to the farm house.

JONESY

I see you've finally raised your standards, Miller.

GARY

Jesus, did you see that?

MEL

Sensible girl, I'd have blinded you.

GARY

Just tell me you're here to relieve me.

JONESY

No, Olly's here to relieve you, we're here to take you out on patrol.

GARY

Now? I'm starving!

JONESY

Then we'd better get a move on. Olly can't make you any food while he's covering your guard duty, can he?

GARY climbs out of the trench and retrieves his rifle. OLLY climbs into the trench and points his weapon towards the field. GARY points to the wall

GARY

No, Boss wants us to cover that way.

JONESY

Remember, Olly. It's only an exercise. You can shoot them but the rules of engagement do not allow you to feed them.

OLLY grunts as the patrol heads away from the trench. He waits a few moments then sits down in the trench and retrieves a lage sandwich from inside his jacket. As he begins munching it LAURA's feet appear at the edge of the trench.

LAURA

Do you like my dress?