Writing tips for a beginner?

I'm only 17 (one of the more junior members on the site I assume), and I've recently begun trying to write my own comedy. Without trying to sound vain I would say I'm quite a naturally funny person, but how easily would you say a natural humour translates in to writing some funny material?

Also, what kind of thing did you first write when you first began? I've been writing my own episode of Family Guy (I don't really
find it funny, it's just on TV before I go to bed so I know the characters pretty well)

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

Just start writing, jokes, blogs etc.

Personally I wouldn't try and copy someone else's style, you've got to make your own kind of music.

Thank you very much sootyj lad

I shall start writing right now then

Quote: Fred Halliwell @ 22nd August 2015, 9:23 PM BST

I've been writing my own episode of Family Guy (I don't really
find it funny, it's just on TV before I go to bed so I know the characters pretty well)

If you don't find it funny (I think at its best it's brilliant and amazing they can keep on producing it)why use that as a test?

How are you using it? In the same style with 2 or 3 story threads, cutaways and writing the characters as they have always been?

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd August 2015, 10:22 PM BST

If you don't find it funny (I think at its best it's brilliant and amazing they can keep on producing it)why use that as a test?

How are you using it? In the same style with 2 or 3 story threads, cutaways and writing the characters as they have always been?

Using it purely because I know the characters well, and the kind of jokes they would make / are capable of making. Not a fan of the cutaways myself, they rarely seem to fit the story and I feel they're a bit of a lazy way of putting in a joke, so I haven't used them.

And yes, using two or three story threads. I feel my main weak point is my actual story writing, so I feel it's good practice.

Why not write an episode for a series you do enjoy, you're far more likely to get to the end, will enjoy the process more and have more fun researching (aka watching) the series.
If you're not a fan of cutaways in family guy, watch arrested development. The writers manage to create brilliant, related jokes from them without being too surreal.

I find it easier to imagine a 4-sided triangle than to imagine a comedy-writer who doesn't find 'Family Guy' funny.

As Samuel Johnson might have said "When a man is tired of Family Guy, he is tired of laughter; for there is in Family Guy all that comedy can afford."

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd August 2015, 12:17 PM BST

I find it easier to imagine a 4-sided triangle than to imagine a comedy-writer who doesn't find 'Family Guy' funny.

As Samuel Johnson might have said "When a man is tired of Family Guy, he is tired of laughter; for there is in Family Guy all that comedy can afford."

It's just the cutaways I dislike, the plot-related jokes are funny

Quote: Jodan @ 23rd August 2015, 4:23 AM BST

Why not write an episode for a series you do enjoy, you're far more likely to get to the end, will enjoy the process more and have more fun researching (aka watching) the series.
If you're not a fan of cutaways in family guy, watch arrested development. The writers manage to create brilliant, related jokes from them without being too surreal.

good shout with arrested development, love the awkward style of comedy

I haven't watched family guy for a while but I think the cutaways can be hit and miss, some are downright hilarious (I still love the "first couple to have problems" skit) and some are rather jarring. I also think the whole show can come across as quite smug at times.

They have a right to be smug though because they're good. I do agree with some of the cutaways not being funny though - like Peter fighting the chicken guy. I just don't get it.

If copying something is the way you want to go, do what Chappers said and choose something you actually like. But, why not create your own characters and your own story?

Yeah I realised that writing family guy felt really forced and difficult. Jokes weren't flowing well.

I have been writing some of my own stuff though, it's much easier. Don't even have to think of the jokes, they're just there.

Work hard, never give up, be brutal to yourself, never take any advice on here (including this)

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 27th August 2015, 7:40 PM BST

Work hard, never give up, be brutal to yourself, never take any advice on here (including this)

Thank you very much!