Newsjack Series 13 Page 8

Quote: Steev @ 11th September 2015, 12:08 PM BST

I was one of successful ones. First try, too!

I think I should quit while I'm ahead :)

FWIW, I did the - less than topical - Top Gear joke.

Well done Steev and fishsauce!

Great show this week and a brilliant cast.

Viv and I have been commissioned for the writersroom on Monday. :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 11th September 2015, 3:28 PM BST

I assume you both got sketches/one-liners into episode 1 then?

Quote: martinw @ 11th September 2015, 3:48 PM BST

I assume you both got sketches/one-liners into episode 1 then?

Hello - no, nothing this week for us.

[quote name="Bonzo" post="1133568" date="11th September 2015, 3:28 PM BST"

[/quote]

Well done both!

Nothing this time, but got a sketch idea for next week so going to keep brainstorming some others/one eye on the news over the weekend!

Really enjoyed last night's episode; my favourites were the Queen rapping and the Budget BBC with Nish in everything (and "Olivia Colman, probably"). Also loved the Naked Rambler joke!

Nice one :D

Thanks Steve, thanks Kate. :)

Well done Steev and fishsauce!

Great show this week and a brilliant cast.

Thanks - very nice, hope it goes well!

Quote: Bonzo @ 11th September 2015, 3:51 PM BST

Hello - no, nothing this week for us.

Ah OK, I'm just curious how the commissioning process works - presumably it's because of your work in the past.

I had a few things on the last season, will keep plugging away.

Let me add my congrats to Viv and Bonzo - very well don't in getting in the writers' room!

And congrats Steev - sorry didn't say that earlier! Good work on standing out on a well-covered subject.

Well done everyone who was recorded for a corking episode 1. And if the owner of the black market GCSE sketch (which didn't make the broadcast) hangs around here, I loved it and am gutted it didn't make the final cut.

Thanks for the nice comments from people re our impending writers' room day. The fact that last time we brought cake has absolutely nothing to do with it.

One of the very useful things that the script editors said at the writers' meeting in August was that the sketches will go through six or seven sifts before the final selection. So even if it feels like you're not getting stuff on, you may well be getting quite far along in the process, and the producers will remember you.

Bit of advice please!

I've written a joke for next week where the punch line includes the word 'shithole'. I've tried to use synonyms but can't get it to work without including the profanity. Is it worth keeping it in my 6 or will it just get rejected straight away?

Tweet from the official NJ account today, advising people to keep their one-liners shorter as a lot of the ones submitted were more long-winded than they were after.

So, hands up who's doing a Sherlock Corbyn and Tom Watson sketch for this week then? :)

Quote: AndyGilder @ 12th September 2015, 7:43 PM BST

So, hands up who's doing a Sherlock Corbyn and Tom Watson sketch for this week then? :)

Probably not as many writing a 'Tom & Jerry' one... ;)

Quote: Glauber Berti @ 12th September 2015, 7:02 PM BST

Bit of advice please!

I've written a joke for next week where the punch line includes the word 'shithole'. I've tried to use synonyms but can't get it to work without including the profanity. Is it worth keeping it in my 6 or will it just get rejected straight away?

I can't comment about the edit process, but if it's the best of your 6 then submit it. (If it's the funniest thing the editor heard that week, they would be a fool to exclude it. And/or *they'll* find another word.)

Have you thought about giving the joke a posh voice, so you can use clinical accurate terminology? It might open up the vocab a little. e.g. 'faeces-laden excrement tip'. Posh people getting irate, wanting to swear, but knowing it's becoming, can be funny.

My minimal 2p.

Don't usually post but just wanted to say a big thank-you to everyone who takes the time to go to recordings, post up advice and info and generally share their thoughts and encouragement. And mega congrats to all who get something on! I had a small success a few series ago and I'm determined to have a bit more. It's a great feeling. So well done all :)

Hello folks, quick question:

It says "2 sketch maximum" and "send them both in one email", but what about the extra "30 second Ad" sketch? I was going to send all three in this week, so am I meant to include the 30 second ad sketch in the same email as the 2 main sketches, or do I send it separately? I'm concerned that if I do send all three in in the same email, they'll just click on it, think I've sent in 3 sketches, shout "2 sketch maximum!" and delete it.

Also, how should I title the email? Put the names of all 3 sketches in the subject line? What way did you send yours in last week?

Sorry if this is already mentioned somewhere on here.

Thanks for any advice.