Newsjack Series 13 Page 12

Well done Kate!!! And everyone else who got a credit.

I sent in a pigjoke sketch - hands up everyone else

I sent in what I believe to be a cunning twist on the pig joke but which almost certainly is not!

Good luck to everyone submitting this week!

Ugh. No sketches from me this week. I think I splurged all this weekend's creativity on another project.
Just managed to get some one-liners in though, and not a single Hameron/piggate one!
I've been to the last two recordings so I knew my failure by Wednesday night, but it's back to the Thursday night email refreshing this week.
Good luck all.

We should try for 'absolute worst Cameron pig-gate one-liner' on here, to keep us occupied until Thursday! I'll start:

"Cameron opens dialogue with EU leaders ahead of referendum - promises to bring home the bacon"

Cameron confirms that he only started dating Samantha because although she was a very selfless lover and had a good bit of meat on her, his dead pig's head just didn't understand him.

Lord Ashcroft said he has beef with David Cameron, mainly because he heard a terrible rumour about what the PM did to the pork.

I steered well clear of piggate this week. I suspect there'll be a slurry of submissions.

Quote: StephenM @ 21st September 2015, 8:48 PM BST

Well for me I try to be polite and write a one sentence 'pitch' for each sketch. Something that hooks you in and wants to read more.

Wouldn't say it's the right way to do it as sure there's people who've a much better hit rate than me who do something different.

Thanks! I've just been writing a default "here are my submissions" but pitching sounds good.

Quote: Glauber Berti @ 22nd September 2015, 1:54 PM BST

I steered well clear of piggate this week. I suspect there'll be a slurry of submissions.

Oh dear, so did I. I bet everyone thought like this, so they'll end up with no pig jokes at all.

On ITV, one of the authors admitted to having only one source (rather than two independent ones as Hoffman and Redford's editor demanded in All The President's Men). She said 'It's hardly Watergate. Just an anecdote were were passing on. We do not say this is as a fact.'

And of course she couldn't get it straight from the pig's mouth.

Hi, I never managed to get tickets for a recording, can anyone tell me what a typical audience member is like? I have this image that most of them (excluding writers who go) are probably retired middle class people. I am considering this in the context of what cultural references they might get?

One of my one-liners this week 'Corbyn makes opportunistic pledge to nationalize Skype' kind only works if you use Skype day-to-day and know of its outage. So, if everyone there is 67 and spends all day reading the Telegraph it might be lost on them?

Any thoughts would be great, cheers.

Quote: JonWoodhouse @ 22nd September 2015, 6:26 PM BST

Hi, I never managed to get tickets for a recording, can anyone tell me what a typical audience member is like? I have this image that most of them (excluding writers who go) are probably retired middle class people. I am considering this in the context of what cultural references they might get?

One of my one-liners this week 'Corbyn makes opportunistic pledge to nationalize Skype' kind only works if you use Skype day-to-day and know of its outage. So, if everyone there is 67 and spends all day reading the Telegraph it might be lost on them?

The Newsjack audience are a mixed bag age-wise, but the audiences I've seen have been predominantly early twenties to mid thirties. The producers and actors are also quite young. Your reference wouldn't be lost. One of the one-liners last week was something like "Tories say Jeremy Corbyn will nationalise your mum." They often do sketches on Facebook and internet stuff as well as pop culture. They had a whole sketch with urban music references in last week too. Listen to the show and you'll get a feel for what they go for.

Many thanks, I got a one-liner in on show 4 (I think) last series - however, like you suggest it might be an idea to actually listen to the show in bit more detail than I have been - my bad.

Quote: dtmcc @ 22nd September 2015, 12:29 PM BST

We should try for 'absolute worst Cameron pig-gate one-liner' on here, to keep us occupied until Thursday! I'll start:

Probably coming to this a bit late, but well done everyone that got one in (the pig's head). Thanks to Bonzo, StephenM et al for your helpful tips, much appreaciated.

Glad to see we are all capable of hamming it up :D

Quote: JonWoodhouse @ 22nd September 2015, 6:26 PM BST

To be honest I'd aim it more at the 20-30s audience as that is who the script editors and producers are and they are the ones who make the final decision about the script and what makes the cut. Yes you've got to remember the audience but the NJ audience is (or at least was a few series ago when I used to go regularly) fairly young (20s-40s) and given all the tickets are ordered online must at least have a passing knowledge of the internet. That and my mum uses Skype and she's well into he 70s so think that's a fairly sage reference.

The News Quiz audience on the other hand...

Anybody heading down this eve?