Newsjack Series 13 Page 10

Quote: Bonzo @ 15th September 2015, 10:18 AM BST

Hello - reporting back from the newsjack writersroom - we had a brilliant day yesterday, it started at 9.30 with a writers meeting where each person (or pair - last time there were 2 pairs, this time we were the only pair) pitched 3 ideas for sketches and everyone else offered suggestions and possible angles. This was really good fun. That took us to around 11.15 when the producers decided on 2 sketches each for us to work on. We then wrote up those sketches (you could either draft the whole thing, or just give the 'beats' - we did mostly the whole thing, just leaving some xxx's where we still had jokes to think up). We then sent these to the producers. After lunch we got notes back from the producers and made the changes they recommended before resubmitting the sketches. We were finished at around 6pm. It all felt very relaxed and we were with a really lovely bunch of writers - a fantastic experience.

:)

Glad you had a great day Bonzo, well done for getting your feet under the Newsjack table, thanks for the inside story, I love hearing these behind-the-scenes type things, makes the BBC sound like much less of an impenetrable edifice.

Hello Bonzo, thanks for the report.

Just to clarify, DeathByMonkey mentioned rewriting / improving submitted sketches - is this the same as the pitches that you were talking about in your writers room session, or were they all your new ideas?

Just curious as to the process.

Looking forward to this week's episode.

Quote: IlDustino @ 15th September 2015, 12:50 PM BST

Thanks for sharing your experience, Jane. Sounds like you're having fun.

Just sneaked my one-liners in on time this week. Also managed to submit one sketch and one advert on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks IlDustino!

Quote: Lazarus Goldfinger @ 15th September 2015, 9:34 PM BST

Glad you had a great day Bonzo, well done for getting your feet under the Newsjack table, thanks for the inside story, I love hearing these behind-the-scenes type things, makes the BBC sound like much less of an impenetrable edifice.

Thanks Lazarus!

Quote: Scott K @ 15th September 2015, 9:57 PM BST

Hello Bonzo, thanks for the report.

Just to clarify, DeathByMonkey mentioned rewriting / improving submitted sketches - is this the same as the pitches that you were talking about in your writers room session, or were they all your new ideas?

Just curious as to the process.

Looking forward to this week's episode.

Hi Scott - Yes, we pitched 3 ideas, then the producers asked us to write up 2 of them. We did that, then sent the sketches to the producers who read them and came back to us with notes. We then wrote up the same sketches again and resubmitted. So we worked on the same 2 sketches through the day.

:)

That all sounds awesome, Jane. Really interesting to have an insight into what goes on in the writers room -thanks! :)

Was anyone at the recording this eve?

Have just received the good e-mail. Makes my grand total three in 13 series worth of one-liners, so the moral is persevere and the cash will flood in! Good luck to other BCG posters.

Congrats Blinkered, got something in also. Chuffed to bits.

Congratulations both. I got the close-but-no-cigar email. Anyone know how much they cut for the final record/edit (ie how close to the cigar are you?) and whether they will tell you what bit almost made it (ie sketch or oneliner)? Ta.

Hi, this is the first year I've been able to submit stuff to Newsjack and I've sent things off to both episodes of this series, no luck so far but well done to everyone who did! It's absolutely my dream to become a comedy writer for BBC Radio so I'll keep trying! But I'm still very inexperienced in sending things off although I've been writing sketches for several years, if anyone has any tips for things I definitely should or shouldn't do when writing for Newsjack, they'd be very much appreciated! Thank you!

I got an e-mail about 7 o'clock tonight saying I have got something in. I have no idea what though. I feeling it may be a one liner. Was anyone at the record?

I got two emails. I don't know if that means two things on the show or poor admin....

Well done everyone else that made it onto the show anyway!! It's nice to see a lot of good news on the forum this week!

Does anyone have any tips on or a format for writing a musical sketch?

From memory I'm not sure they're keen on musical sketches (except for maybe the rap e.g. last week) - the tight turnaround would make these difficult to rehearse, plus hard to communicate music.

Congratulations to everyone who got the good email and the almost email! :)
Nothing for us this week.

Quote: talltaz @ 17th September 2015, 9:37 PM BST

Does anyone have any tips on or a format for writing a musical sketch?

So they won't use anything based on a well-known tune, because they don't have time to get in touch with the copyright holder.