Writing a racist

Hello all,
I was hoping somebody could give me some advice on writing a character that is obviously racist yet not actually writing racist things in a script. Although I remember in I'm Alan partridge series one the final episode has a racist guy but that is only for one episode and pretty much his last line is where we find out.
Thanks for any replies

as long as it's clear that you or your other characters don't approve you can have him say things that would normally be unacceptable - so long as it's obvious that it's unacceptable.

And less is more - so things like: you people / go back to your own country etc would probably be OK if handled correctly

And if you didn't want to have him say anything racist you could show it - like maybe he's got a racist tattoo or he treats other races differently - or like Father Ted, he's got a room full of nazi stuff

There's a few shows that have tackled it - like Mark's friend in Peep Show, Father Ted like I mentioned and Brickleberry is a bit racist / stereotypical.

I think you can get away with it too if the character's elderly as many don't seem to get that racism isn't the done thing anymore. My mother subconsciously, once came out with this..... she was telling me and hubby that someone had implied she was a racist she said (to My dad too) "I'm not racist, am I Fred. We've had ten n*ggers in here." Me and hubby had to stifle our laughs until we left. We had to park up as he couldn't drive for laughing.. and neither could I. It sounds awful but she said it so innocently. She was in her seventies at the time. We have a black in-law :)

I don't think it's about getting away with it. If you're thinking that then it's as if you're doing something wrong. Racism in comedy is a good thing, it helps us to laugh at the absurdity of the concept. Look at Richard Pryor for instance. Yes he mostly attacks the white community but ask yourself do you laugh and relate to it? I know I do. It should be the same the other way around there are lots of characteristics of races that are funny. Exploit them for humour. Why not. This 'white guilt' that seems to engulf white society is endemic. Time to get over it. In Drama Look at 'This is England" (the film) tackles the subject head on. Same as Alan Clarke's 'Made in Britain'.As long as your reasons for writing a racist character is not to oppress or to propagate any personal views then go for it. (I mean the royal you, I'm not talking about you) If it's done well, with humour or with poignancy then it can be very effective. We shouldn't shy away from racism because we fear to offend someone. I feel that the general feel of racism has changed a lot over the last ten, twenty years. This young generation coming through are far more open and accepting with all differences in people, not just colour of skin than my parents were. So go for it, find the inner racist. I feel racism should be out there, laid bare not hidden away behind closed doors. That leads to closed minds and ignorance.
Shutting up now, going to get some fried chicken.

Quote: Jodan @ 20th August 2015, 10:31 AM BST

Hello all,
I was hoping somebody could give me some advice on writing a character that is obviously racist yet not actually writing racist things in a script.

I presume you mean not actually writing offensive, things in the script rather than racist. Seems easy to me.

'Of course they're all over here now.'

'They're not like us, are they?

etc..

Apparently in Goodness Gracious Me tonight they're doing a spoof called Brownton Abbey.

If a white actor took the piss out of something like Roots but making the characters white they'd never get away with it.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th August 2015, 7:38 PM BST

Apparently in Goodness Gracious Me tonight they're doing a spoof called Brownton Abbey.

If a white actor took the piss out of something like Roots but making the characters white they'd never get away with it.

There is so much I want to say on this subject, but I'm a little bit drunk and fear that a drunken post might be regretful in the morning.

Chappers, you re kind of right, but it shouldn't be allowed. Brontown abbey is a great idea for a parody and so would roots renamed as Honkey Homes or something would be just as good. Don't shy away from racism. That goes for both sides of the coin. Embrace it. it's inherent in all of us. After all, we all have altruistic genes telling us that we are the better race. Black, brown, yellow and white. Make fun of it and love everyone.

Unfortunately, while there are many different views as to what racism actually is, most people seem united in being keen to take offence.

Quote: Nogget @ 26th August 2015, 6:48 AM BST

Unfortunately, while there are many different views as to what racism actually is, most people seem united in being keen to take offence.

Spot on!

Quote: Nogget @ 26th August 2015, 6:48 AM BST

Bang on...

It's a discussion for another day, an interesting dialogue to have though. Anyway, I'm too hung over to even see, let alone think right now!

I agree with most of what Yogi said - basically, it's fine to acknowledge differences (in race, looks, ability - anything) so long as it's not done in a derogatory way

Unfortunately there isn't much thinking going on lately around calling people out on racism. A footballer was recently censured for using the word 'Jap' which is slang not racism. It says nothing about the person you use it to, good or bad, beyond the fact that you think they are Japanese.

Even 'Chink' which was also used in the football world a while back is not racist, just slang, like Brit - which I don't like - but is not racist.

Recently Roger Moore was called racist for suggesting that Idris Elba was the wrong colour to play James Bond. Actual racism would be suggesting that a white actor had to play a black man. Not that a black or white actor can't play a black or white character.

Must white actors be considered for any remake of 'Shaft?'

People are too f**king thick for their own good.

I wouldn't even attempt to include a racist character in a script.

Unless you're a supremely talented writer, you'll attract ALL the following comments from readers and viewers:

a) Your racist is a great bloke who's saying what everybody really thinks.

b) Your racist is a disgrace to humanity: he should be taken away and shot.

c) Your treatment of the subject is naive: don't give up the day job.

It'll lead to tears, I'm telling you.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th August 2015, 4:47 PM BST

I wouldn't even attempt to include a racist character in a script.

Unless you're a supremely talented writer, you'll attract ALL the following comments from readers and viewers:

a) Your racist is a great bloke who's saying what everybody really thinks.

b) Your racist is a disgrace to humanity: he should be taken away and shot.

c) Your treatment of the subject is naive: don't give up the day job.

It'll lead to tears, I'm telling you.

Rood Eye is absolutely right. Getting someone to like a script is hard enough without giving them a reason to turn it down.

Plus, it's kind of old news and lazy to tackle racism. It's been done to death

What I said before? That was if you are adamant about having the character - think of something funny instead