R.I.P Blakey

"On The Buses actor Stephen Lewis has died aged 88, his family have confirmed.

The star died peacefully at 1.50am on Wednesday in the Cambridge Nursing Home, in Wanstead, east London.

He was "in high spirits" right until the end, his niece Rebecca Lewis said, adding that he had been in the care home for around three years.

"He was always singing and joking," she said.

She tweeted: "Sadly my uncle 'Blakey' Stephen Lewis passed away yesterday. Very sad time for family.""

:(

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/actor-stephen-lewis-dead-buses-6247667

Sad news - he made a very good contribution to sitcom.

I could never think of him as being called Stephen Lewis.

He should have been a Bert or Fred or something similar.

I've never watched many episodes of On The Buses. To me, a big fan of Last of the Summer Wine, he was always Smiler.

R.I.P. Smiler :(

RIP.

His characters were instant classics. He left behind a legacy that will keep me laughing for many years to come.

Quote: Woozie @ 13th August 2015, 9:35 PM BST

RIP.

His characters were instant classics. He left behind a legacy that will keep me laughing for many years to come.

Did he ever play a different character?

He played a transvestite in a little-known sitcom, I seem to remember.

Rip Blakey

gone but not forgotten.

Quote: george roper @ 13th August 2015, 10:36 PM BST

Rip Blakey

gone but not forgotten.

At least you don't have to get that bus out now.

(Can't believe I knew that)

Sad news. I really enjoyed his performance as Smiler in Summer Wine.

Laid to rest yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3210293/I-hate-Butler-Buses-star-Anna-Karen-mourners-told-actor-Stephen-Lewis-loved-repeat-Blakey-catchphrase-nursing-home.html

She's looking well (Olive) for 78. Perhaps frail and needing a stick but good for her age

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th August 2015, 7:11 PM BST

She's looking well (Olive) for 78. Perhaps frail and needing a stick but good for her age

That's what I was thinking - she was cleverly made to look very dowdy in her series part.