RIP Cilla Black Page 3

My niece was "caught out" on Surprise Surprise.

My late sister in law arranged for the family (her, husband, son and two daughters) to go to the studio with the aim of surprising her husband - everyone being in on the joke except this eldest daughter who thought her father was going to get the surprise of his life.

Cilla came into the audience to speak to the family along the lines of "This is Pat Donley, with her husband etc.etc. but it's not your husband I have come to talk to and surprise, it is you Mandy!" The look on my niece's face was brilliant as she was totally gob-smacked.

Very clever how they set it up. She wanted to be a cheer leader, so they whipped her out of the audience and after a bit of training backstage with a semi-pro group from I think some London basketball team, she then came on at the end of the programme all kitted out in the same uniform and did a routine with them.

They all said what a lovely lady Cilla was.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2015, 11:51 AM BST

My niece was "caught out" on Surprise Surprise.

My late sister in law arranged for the family (her, husband, son and two daughters) to go to the studio with the aim of surprising her husband - everyone being in on the joke except this eldest daughter who thought her father was going to get the surprise of his life.

Cilla came into the audience to speak to the family along the lines of "This is Pat Donley, with her husband etc.etc. but it's not your husband I have come to talk to and surprise, it is you Mandy!" The look on my niece's face was brilliant as she was totally gob-smacked.

Very clever how they set it up. She wanted to be a cheer leader, so they whipped her out of the audience and after a bit of training backstage with a semi-pro group from I think some London basketball team, she then came on at the end of the programme all kitted out in the same uniform and did a routine with them.

They all said what a lovely lady Cilla was.

Great story!

My sentimental MIL used to like Surprise Surprise, my own Mother wasn't a fan.

I remember her changing the lyrics to one of her songs to make it PC.
It ruined it.
The sang was called mucky kid or dirty kid.......something like that.

And the original line said something like...and when you get home you'll get a belt from yer dad.

And she changed it to... when you get home you'll get a telling off from ya dad.

Not quite the same. Maybe it should have been ..you might get a mild rebuke from your father.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd August 2015, 3:29 PM BST

I remember her changing the lyrics to one of her songs to make it PC.
It ruined it.
The sang was called mucky kid or dirty kid.......something like that.

And the original line said something like...and when you get home you'll get a belt from yer dad.

And she changed it to... when you get home you'll get a telling off from ya dad.

Not quite the same. Maybe it should have been ..you might get a mild rebuke from your father.

I was utterly appalled when I heard her sing this new PC-version of 'Liverpool Lullaby'.

The original line was "and when he hears the things you did, you'll get a belt from your dad".

It was changed to "and when he hears the things you did, you'll get told off by your dad".

Was she seriously suggesting that, when it comes to the mending of one's ways, Scousers of any age respond to anything other than a bloody good hiding or a lengthy prison sentence?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2015, 5:09 PM BST

I was utterly appalled when I heard her sing this new PC-version of 'Liverpool Lullaby'.

The original line was "and when he hears the things you did, you'll get a belt from your dad".

He might have just been giving his son something to hold his trousers up.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd August 2015, 10:49 AM BST

Even after you've just died as an OAP with a long, successful career, people are dissecting the quality of your looks. What a world! ;)

(Not judging, I'm sure I do it too.)

They were basically saying that she made a grave error of judgement.

Spanish police saying it could have been an accident in the home. Have posted this before but it is my favourite as it absolutely has the smell of the early 1970s and to my mind that is a very good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYdWkB-MZFE

Quote: A Horseradish @ 3rd August 2015, 8:29 PM BST

it absolutely has the smell of the early 1970s and to my mind that is a very good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYdWkB-MZFE

There's not much more cringe-inducing than watching a singer with ZERO coolness try to work with a singer/song with MAJOR coolness.

Cilla was never ever even remotely cool, and Marc Bolan was ultra cool. It was a truly dreadful match.

I haven't cringed so much since I watched the terminally uncool Kathryn Jenkins sing (and ever-so-sweetly murder) "Hallelujah".

Someone should have a word with these people.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2015, 8:49 PM BST

There's not much more cringeworthy than watching a singer with ZERO coolness try to work with a singer/song with MAJOR coolness.

Cilla was never ever even remotely cool, and Marc Bolan was ultra cool. It was a truly dreadful match.

I haven't cringed so much since I watched the terminally uncool Kathryn Jenkins sing "Hallelujah".

Someone should have a word with these people.

Interesting. When I first dug it out - last year or the one before - I liked it. I also thought it was a bit cringeworthy and, therefore, a laugh. Think what strikes me, though, in terms of BCG, which while comedy based is also great on media history, is how in that era there was often that criss-crossing. Often an ITV thing - I see it as an ITV thing - but also on the Beeb. Most at that time would have recognised the mismatch to some extent. I just think now that the mismatches did have charm. There is something complimentary between the two of them. Not so this - which I have been watching - in which the one who thinks he is the most substantial isn't and the one who may or may not have had nits in his hair is far more impressive in talk that I ever realised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imz0i4X4xac

To keep it on track, the great George Martin and Burt Bacharach - and the recording of "Alfie":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDF_taQnoXk

That reminds me of the Bing and Bowie duet. But I'm not actually sure which one of them was the cool one.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd August 2015, 9:29 PM BST

That reminds me of the Bing and Bowie duet. But I'm not actually sure which one of them was the cool one.

Great comment zooo.

December 1982. These things change over the years. I was a new student and in a pub bang on the dot at 6pm where they would start the evening with a Perry Como tape. Bing was seen as no more cool than PC. But of course history shows he was cool and Bowie will always be very cool.

Cilla was never cool. The word iconic has been used. That is not quite right either. But just as the Carry Ons and a lot of sitcoms were as fundamental to British history as Stonehenge albeit in a different "1960s plus "early" media way" she was a part of that I think, especially with the Beatles link. These things matter. It is a good part of why BCG matters. It documents and keeps alive what we didn't realise were pioneers.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd August 2015, 9:29 PM BST

Neither.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd August 2015, 10:00 PM BST

Neither.

So much for complimenting your BCG malarkey. :P

Cilla Black was bloody dreadful.