RIP Cilla Black Page 2

Quote: shaggy292 @ 2nd August 2015, 8:30 PM BST

Ain't, I'm afraid. That would be Cher.

#popnerd

Or Hilda Woodward of Lieutenant Pigeon. This is a very sore point of contention with a guy I know who in comparison makes Kevin off the Eggheads look totally wet rather than the dry old stick he happens to be. I am literally gob smacked about this news and initially didn't know what to say or feel about it. To be frank, I don't think I ever believed in her voice, especially when it came to a classy and classic Bacharach and David tune. The Liverpudlian persona seemed very put on and actually Liverpool and Liverpudlians are not "my North", however important they rightly know they are to what remains of our sense of nation. Her ex husband seemed iffy to me. I always suspected I wouldn't like her politics and I hated Blind Date. And yet, you know, I liked her. I liked her quite a lot. That must say something about the essence of her character. It obviously says something about her role around the Beatles in British culture. And it no doubt says something about me and what really matters to me these days. She was an entertainer. Entertainers are the best people, however good, bad or indifferent they might be. Thanks Cilla. Too early. Too soon. You gave many people pleasure. And that's the very definition of lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2DERNmLP0

I suppose a dead husband could be called "ex". ;)

What was iffy about him? As I think I he kept very much in the background and little is know of him.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2015, 9:21 PM BST

I suppose a dead husband could be called "ex". ;)

What was iffy about him? As I think I he kept very much in the background and little is know of him.

What do you think this is mate?

20 Questions? :D

I've just realised that Hilda is the oldest woman at number one and not what I said earlier.

Bloody Cher causes a lot of problems one way and another. Seems to be on every musical borderline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5GWJJP3FM

Surprisngly during the record-mad 1960s, only 14 singles sold a million copies in the UK so good old Cilla did pretty well to clock up 950,000 sales for 'Anyone who had a a heart'.

It was the 27th-biggest UK seller of the decade and that's particularly impressive when you consider that The Beatles had eighteen hit records (double-A-sides count as one record) in the top 60 UK best-sellers of the 1960s and only nine of them beat Cilla's 27th place.

Cilla Black (#27) and Mary Hopkin (#45) are the only solo female artistes from anywhere in the world to make the 'Top 60 Biggest UK Sellers of the Sixties' chart.

Those were the days, my friend.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd August 2015, 9:54 PM BST

Surprisngly during the record-mad 1960s, only 14 singles sold a million copies in the UK so good old Cilla did pretty well to clock up 950,000 sales for 'Anyone who had a a heart'.

It was the 27th-biggest UK seller of the decade and that's particularly impressive when you consider that The Beatles had eighteen hit records (double-A-sides count as one record) in the top 60 UK best-sellers of the 1960s and only nine of them beat Cilla's 27th place.

Wow.

Stunned into silence.

Are you Read, Rice or Gambaccini? :D

Not 'arf Pop Pickers. Cool

Rip Our Chuck

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd August 2015, 10:05 PM BST

Wow.

Stunned into silence.

Are you Read, Rice or Gambaccini? :D

Wikipedia.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd August 2015, 11:34 PM BST

Wikipedia.

Is that code for Gambaccini mate?

On May Bank Holiday Monday of 2010 on Radio 2, the above-mentioned top 60 hits of the Sixties were counted down and played by housewives' favourite Tony Blackburn.

Cilla and her achievement received an honourable mention.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2015, 12:14 AM BST

On May Bank Holiday Monday of 2010 on Radio 2, the above-mentioned top 60 hits of the Sixties were counted down and played by housewives' favourite Tony Blackburn.

Cilla and her achievement received an honourable mention.

Cool.

I would prefer to listen to 60 Cilla Black tunes than to become a millionaire.

Money is crap when you think about it.

I'm sure most members will remember Cilla's surprising (many would say shocking) performance of 'You Gotta Get a Gimmick" at the Royal Variety Show in 2001 where she sang and wiggled, her torso adorned by a set of 3 strategically-placed flashing hearts.

I thought it an embarrassing performance as Cilla had (in my view) absolutely zero sex appeal and she was (again in my view) demeaning herself while not understanding why she was so unwise to perform in that way.

Earlier in her career however, that lack of sex appeal had stood her in very good stead when 'Blind Date' was being pitched to ITV who thought it much too sexually-charged for family TV. Producer Alan Boyd assured TV bosses that it wouldn't offend viewers as it would be presented by 'the most sexless person on TV'.

Cilla was duly booked for the job and the rest (as they say) is TV history.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd August 2015, 8:26 AM BST

I'm sure most members will remember Cilla's surprising (many would say shocking) performance of 'You Gotta Get a Gimmick" at the Royal Variety Show in 2001 where she sang and wiggled, her torso adorned by a set of 3 strategically-placed flashing hearts.

I thought it an embarrassing performance as Cilla had (in my view) absolutely zero sex appeal and she was (again in my view) demeaning herself while not understanding why she was so unwise to perform in that way.

Entirely agree with you there - it was toe curling embarrassment, and as for her having a figure - NO!

I remember when I first saw her in the early 60s and thinking she had skinny funny shaped legs, so later on when it was mooted that she had fabulous pins, I thought WHAT!? No way.

Even after you've just died as an OAP with a long, successful career, people are dissecting the quality of your looks. What a world! ;)

(Not judging, I'm sure I do it too.)

RIP

She was very good in Benidorm a few years back but I'll always remember her for her appearances on The Morecambe and Wise Show and that hilarious Blind Date / Mr. Bean sketch.