RIP Cilla Black

72 is no age and worrying for someone of my age if it is true she died of natural causes. :(

Hope she is happy now with her beloved husband Bobby who died a few years back and she never got over when he went.

There's a bit of a Barney taking place on Mumsnet about people's varying opinion of the late flame haired entertainer.

Certainly not a fan of hers particularly but can't deny her 50 year successful career in showbiz, from the hits of the 60s to her very popular TV shows.

Just watched Brucie talking about her on the news with a look of "sure it would have been me first". ;)

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd August 2015, 4:25 PM BST

There's a bit of a Barney taking place on Mumsnet about people's varying opinion of the late flame haired entertainer.

Hah, not big fans of Blind Date?

RIP Cilla. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2015, 4:28 PM BST

Certainly not a fan of hers particularly but can't deny her 50 year successful career in showbiz, from the hits of the 60s to her very popular TV shows.

Just watched Brucie talking about her on the news with a look of "sure it would have been me first". ;)

Agreed. Brucie is immortal though, he often borrows Madonna's anti ageing sleep suit.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd August 2015, 4:25 PM BST

The best way to start a row on Mumsnet is to suggest that not ALL men are child-abusing, wife-beating rapists.

Then sit back and watch the fur fly!

As for Cilla, she was perhaps the most successful British female recording artist of all time. I certainly can't think of another British woman who had more hits, made more money and whose name is better-known.

She may have had her faults but, for a pop star and TV star, she seems to have lived a relatively blameless life.

I think "Anyone Who Had a Heart" remains today the biggest selling single for a female artist in the UK, and on some TV show I watched a while back Burt Bacharach said that her version of "Alfie" was the best. I believe he personally supervised the recording.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2015, 5:37 PM BST

Burt Bacharach said that her version of "Alfie" was the best. I believe he personally supervised the recording.

Watch that very recording here:

http://guidadepalma.com/cilla-black-burt-bacharach-recording-alfie-abbey-road-studio#.Vb5KFbXgyJM

Wouldn't call myself a fan but was sad to hear this news.
Kinda grew up watching her Saturday night TV shows. It's one of those names that will still be referenced for years to come by my generation and previous ones.

She was a good singer at the time. I've still got my EP of You're my World. She had a great voice and I saw her at the London Paladium in the mid-60s.

She was obviously a lovely person but I couldn't watch her "entertainment" programmes though.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd August 2015, 4:55 PM BST

As for Cilla, she was perhaps the most successful British female recording artist of all time. I certainly can't think of another British woman who had more hits, made more money and whose name is better-known.

Is that true? I would've thought Dusty sold more records.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2015, 4:19 PM BST

72 is no age and worrying for someone of my age if it is true she died of natural causes. :(

That just means it wasn't an accident or suicide.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd August 2015, 7:21 PM BST

Surprise, Surprise!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd August 2015, 7:21 PM BST

That's why Hercules is worried.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd August 2015, 7:24 PM BST

Surprise, Surprise!

Angry

I think "Anyone Who Had a Heart" remains today the biggest selling single for a female artist in the UK

Ain't, I'm afraid. That would be Cher.

#popnerd

I think "Anyone Who Had a Heart" remains today the biggest selling single for a UK female artist in the UK,

Quote: shaggy292 @ 2nd August 2015, 8:30 PM BST

Ain't, I'm afraid. That would be Cher.

#popnerd

I missed out the "UK" female artist.