Would I Lie To You? - Series 9 Page 4

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 28th August 2015, 10:24 PM BST

I'm starting to agree with Stewart Lee about the same couple of agents getting the same acts on everything.

Tonight, Rhod Gilbert was on WILTY on BBC1. At the same time Rhod Gilbert was on 15 to 1 on C4 with Adam Hills. An hour later Adam Hills was presenting The Last Leg on C4 with Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker. Just before that Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker were on Cats Does Countdown on C4.

I don't have any problems any of them, but it is the same dozen or so comedians appearing on everything.

We're currently approaching that magical time after the Edinburgh Fringe when some new faces appear on panel shows, utterly fail to be funny and return to obscurity.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th August 2015, 10:36 PM BST

Not yet. Just read the Catastrophe thread and it seems I missed out on something.
Just didn't find him very funny on this episode of WILTY, to me he was just a (very) good looking bloke.

He is quite the handsome chap.
You should definitely watch Catastrophe, it's ace.

Quote: Haywired @ 28th August 2015, 11:13 PM BST

Me too. Rhod's always good on this.

Another all-round great episode tonight.

Yes, I really like him. He was taking a chance and she took it in good humour - ooer.

Does anyone actually like Rob Brydon?
Don't get me wrong I think that he is a nice guy and all that.
But I just don't find him in the slightest bit funny.
I hate the sort of 'silly comedy' like a bit what Harry Hill does.
I'm not saying I want a new host but I don't think it would affect the show's viewing etc. whereas the team captains would.

Quote: Jackamo @ 29th August 2015, 11:23 AM BST

I'm not saying I want a new host but I don't think it would affect the show's viewing etc. whereas the team captains would.

I like him, but not bothered about Lee Mack - for me there's something forced about his humour. I suppose it is like his "Not Going Out" - all the jokes are telegraphed.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2015, 11:53 AM BST

I like him, but not bothered about Lee Mack - for me there's something forced about his humour. I suppose it is like his "Not Going Out" - all the jokes are telegraphed.

I don't really get what you mean by that to be honest, in particular the word 'forced'.
He is very quick and always on the ball so maybe it could come across as prepared or something.

I don't think he is a natural comedian.

Quote: Jackamo @ 29th August 2015, 11:23 AM BST

I can only assume you've never seen Marion & Geoff, Human Remains or The Trip. All very sophisticated, clever, nuanced very well performed shows. Marion & Geoff is (purely IMO) one of the best comedy shows I've ever seen.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2015, 3:06 PM BST

I don't think he is a natural comedian.

Ding ding ding, Bizarreland City Centre, everybody off! :P

You don't get a quick wit like Lee's without being a natural comedian, whether his style is to your personal preference or not.

Indeed, Aaron. Even though I'm not a Lee Mack fan (he seems to try and hog the spotlight on panel shows way too often for my liking), he is definitely a natural comedian.

Unusually negative write-up in the Radio Times for next week's episode - they're usually always very positive about the show so interested to see this one now.

Quote: Aaron @ 29th August 2015, 9:20 PM BST

Ding ding ding, Bizarreland City Centre, everybody off! :P

You don't get a quick wit like Lee's without being a natural comedian, whether his style is to your personal preference or not.

Don't agree with you one little bit.

Quote: Agnostik @ 29th August 2015, 9:49 PM BST

Indeed, Aaron. Even though I'm not a Lee Mack fan (he seems to try and hog the spotlight on panel shows way too often for my liking), he is definitely a natural comedian.

Ditto

Lee Mack is a quick wit, very very quick. I think that's his forte. Scripted, particularly with No Going Out, long past its use-by-date, it all becomes contrived and predictable.

I recently got Series 4 on DVD, amd my God it makes me laugh. I can still remember one joke, wherein the story was about a guest having had their house exorcised of ghosts and complaining about the cost, to which Lee came back immediately with "To be fair, if you can't pay the costs they'll come back and repossess your house".

I need to be in the studio audience one day.

Quote: italophile @ 31st August 2015, 7:44 AM BST

Lee Mack is a quick wit, very very quick. I think that's his forte. Scripted, particularly with No Going Out, long past its use-by-date, it all becomes contrived and predictable.

Exactly, I am not saying that he is not funny, just as your last phrase points out.