Could you help?

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help a newcomer.

I'm writing a sitcom and I'm at the stage where I need some honest feedback - so I have 2 questions:

1. What do people think is the best way to get people to give feedback? I worry that if I just show a script it won't get read, or the comedy/characters may be misunderstood.

2. Should I be worried about copyright if I put it on a forum?

Any replies would be appreciated, I'm sure there are lots of people on here who've had the same thoughts.

Well I am new to the sharing aspect of script writing myself.

For internet sharing and general feedback:
If it's an original idea, then I tend to post a scene or two that best sums up what I'm trying to achieve; setting, characters or the style of humour, for example. I suggest asking for specific feedback from online communities as opposed to just is it good or bad because if you want a straight answer, you'll get one and they are not helpful whether they are positive or not. You'll need to know why something is bad, why it's working or why it doesn't. Not to blow smoke but I find this community to be the most honest, educated and helpful of all those I attend. You may regret posting an entire script, however, especially if it's rather good, because someone may grab it and run with it.

For professional feedback:
There are professionals you can pay to assess your work but I suggest sending them to an agency, they normally have a group of people who will filter through everything sent. Most of the time it will be sent back with some notes but if it's up to snuff, it'll be read by the big cheese and then they can act as a conduit for your work.

1 At some point a bored, underpaid person who is at the bottom of the pecking order in a production compnay may disinterestedly glance at your script. Before spilling coffee or more likely whiskey on it and hurling it into the shredder so he can line his daughters rabbit cage with something later.
This is if you are very lucky.
So it has to read funny off of the page. You will not get a chance to sit there going
"but it's funny, really funny, here let me do the funny voices!"
It works off the page or it don't.

TBH once you send it out into the world in any format you risk it being ripped off. Forutnately chances are it's not good enough. Don't worry almost all scripts aren't good enough. Most production companies aren't sitting around sweating in fear, waiting for that one brilliant script to save them. Besides posting a script on a time dated, public accessible site popular with unemployable, sofa masturbators from around the world like this one. Is a surprisingly good way of dating and establishing your copyright.
Though if you're really worried just post a couple of scenes.
Or bury it in your backgarden for all eternity, knowing this cruel world wasn't ready for your genius.

Quote: Woozie @ 17th July 2015, 9:31 PM BST

For professional feedback:
There are professionals you can pay to assess your work but I suggest sending them to an agency, they normally have a group of people who will filter through everything sent. M

This is certainly true most established script readers have great contacts with production companies.

And may if sufficently impressed by a script forward it onto them.

They recieve hundreds of scripts and in order to maintain their rep will rarely forward any.

So I'd hire a script reader if you genuinely want and need feedback on your script.

You probably do. And then I wouldn't send them one till you've run it past a few people for free to check it has potential.

I still remember doing a comedy course where the tutor bought all us students a round of drinks at an expensive Islington pub declaring,

"Some idiot just hired me to read his script, I asked for £100 an episode and he sent me 10 episodes! £1000 and the feedback was the same on all of them, they're shite!"

So basically if you're spending £30-£1000 to get your script read because you think it may be the one to get noticed. You're better off investing it in Euromillion tickets, hoping you win and spending millions on establishing your own production company.

Thing is if it's any good as a company, it may still reject your script.

Quote: Wripc86 @ 17th July 2015, 9:20 PM BST

Hi,

I worry that if I just show a script it won't get read, or the comedy/characters may be misunderstood.

Only established writers get to 'pitch' scripts.
Yours will 100% have to work off the page.
And work quick.
It's your job to make sure the reader understands the characters and get the jokes.
Thats what writing is.
That's what a script is.

Post a couple of scenes on here.
If that goes well pay someone to read it and give notes.
But post here first or you might be wasting good beer money.

Give up now!
you have more chance of a polar bear learning to talk then ever getting your sitcom off the ground this way!

Find yourself some skilful wanabees, actors, cameramen editors ect. make the first episode yourself, post it on YOU TUBE AND PROMOTE THE HELL OUT OF IT!

if its any good this is realistically the only way you stand any chance of getting noticed.

But don't give up your day job just yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Post the first ten pages here, and some of us will give you an opinion. Maybe even the talking polar bear.

Quote: Wripc86 @ 17th July 2015, 9:20 PM BST

Hi,

Should I be worried about copyright if I put it on a forum?

Yes.

I put "Blackadder", "Only Fools and Horses", "Vicar of Dibley", "Fawlty Towers", "Yes, Minister" and "Father Ted" on comedy forums to get some feedback.

And do you know what happened???????????? :O

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th July 2015, 5:34 PM BST

Yes.

I put "Blackadder", "Only Fools and Horses", "Vicar of Dibley", "Fawlty Towers", "Yes, Minister" and "Father Ted" on comedy forums to get some feedback.

And do you know what happened???????????? :O

I Posted two sitcom's in the early 90's on the internet

Men Behaving Fabulous
And
Absolutely Badly,

and nobody stole my ideas!!!
I think you will find in the real world there's no such thing as plagiarism its just a made up word like globalwarming to scare new writers into not sharing their ideas!

If I hadn't of shared my idea for Rubik Cube Roulette, I'd just be some sarcastic sad idiot who sits on his sofa writing nonsense for strangers to read!

:-( oh!!!!

:(

Quote: beaky @ 18th July 2015, 12:41 PM BST

Post the first ten pages here, and some of us will give you an opinion. Maybe even the talking polar bear.

This is good advice.

Quote: sootyj @ 18th July 2015, 8:24 AM BST

unemployable, sofa masturbators from around the world like this one.

In fairness to sootyj he finds all soft furnishings a turn on, he's been after my fouton for years.

I really do despair whenever I see anyone asking for advice on a sitcom they've written.

The head of comedy at the BBC could see NO merit whatever in 'The Office' when he was shown scripts and, even after watching a pilot episode, said that, IF it were ever to be commissioned, they'd have to get someone other than Ricky Gervais to play David Brent.

TV bosses in the USA could see NO merit whatever in 'Seinfeld' and even after making the pilot, took years and years to find it a slot on TV.

Even when the series was doing quite well, they pulled one episode they really hated, accusing Larry and Jerry of writing a totally unfunny pile of poo, betraying the TV station and of peeing all over the people who had given them their big chance on TV. When it was finally screened, that episode was hailed as a milestone in TV comedy.

So here's my advice to all sitcom writers: it doesn't matter what ANYbody says about your sitcom. If YOU think it's funny, that's all that matters.