Not Safe For Work

I thought that it showed definite promise. I did, however, find the London office of what I guessed to be The Home Office, far too slick for Whitehall though - nobody's *that* well dressed!

That were ace, that.

Missed the first few minutes though so didn't see any London bits. :(
Will have to watch a repeat.

The characterisation's great. The Samuel Barnett role really reminds me of a former colleague and the irritating girl couldn't be more civil servanty if she tried. Ditto the HR woman.

Sadly Danny reminded me of me when I had a job I didn't understand. I wasn't high on drugs though.

Quote: zooo @ 1st July 2015, 11:40 AM BST

Sadly Danny reminded me of me when I had a job I didn't understand. I wasn't high on drugs though.

I often feel like that at work.

Do you recall that episode of 'Black Books' where Fran gains employment in an office and isn't sure what she's supposed to do?

Lol, I think so. Maybe it's more common than I thought, then.

Quote: zooo @ 1st July 2015, 1:20 PM BST

Lol, I think so. Maybe it's more common than I thought, then.

I experienced that feeling about ten years ago when I joined a post where the two predecessors were taking early severance. I never really knew what was going on and used to attend EU meetings feeling flummoxed.

Here's a review from the seminal Whitehall publication 'Civil Service World' https://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/culture/uncivil-service-channel-4%E2%80%99s-new-whitehall-comedy-reviewed

I like this new series very much. It's nicely paced, intelligently and imaginatively written, and there are no 'desperate for a laugh' lines thrown into the script by the writer, D.C. Moore, who will I hope soon be able to give up his job in the Police Service and concentrate on writing full-time.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st July 2015, 3:03 PM BST

I like this new series very much. It's nicely paced, intelligently and imaginatively written, and there are no 'desperate for a laugh' lines thrown into the script by the writer, D.C. Moore, who will I hope soon be able to give up his job in the Police Service and concentrate on writing full-time.

Is he/she any relation to Dee Cee Lee?

I'll Google 'em. I've never encountered the name before.

I thought it might be interesting to see places around Northampton,seeing as I used to live there but apparently this was filmed entirely in and around Glasgow.

Quote: Lee @ 1st July 2015, 3:55 PM BST

I thought it might be interesting to see places around Northampton,seeing as I used to live there but apparently this was filmed entirely in and around Glasgow.

I was wondering where it was filmed too. I think that it was deliberately bland and generic to add to the ambience.

Thanks for the reorienting facilitation :) (from the other thread)

Good to hear the 'no one knows what they're doing' stuff is realistic.

Great cast, brilliant writing. This looks very promising. Succeeds as a comedy and a drama.

I liked it, and hope it builds on the strong groundwork they've laid in the opener. Some big laughs, and nice performances, especially from the Jeffries character.

A couple of early annoyances for me (which might disappear later) are some of the silly words in the banter, which I found jarring, and the occasional use of unnecessarily shaky camera-work.

What were the silly words? (If you can remember any!)

Do you mean the girl no one wanted to sit next to, I do remember her saying some strange stuff.

There were a couple that Danny said, when initially meeting with Nathanial, which sounded too self-consciously 'manager speak done silly' for my liking. Yes, Jenny also used some, which I actually thought were OK in context, but did add to an overall feeling of jarring IMO.
YMMV.

But it's a small, and possibly personal, niggle.