BBC Writersroom Comedy 2015 Page 2

emailed us, maybe you're one of 294?

Is it normal to notify the unsuccessful writers before the successful ones?

On Twitter they said they're releasing the emails in batches throughout the day.

Quote: alphaomega @ 3rd July 2015, 2:18 PM BST

emailed us, maybe you're one of 294?

Thanks for the positive statement, it was probably that bad that it wasn't even worthy of a rejection email. Fingers crossed still will post an update when I recieve an email.

I just got the email, made it through the first sift but no further :(

I also got through the first sift but alas the journey ended there.

I'll take that as a positive. Someone liked some of it enough to force someone else to read the rest!

It's clear from these figures that at least 1000 of those who submitted shouldn't have bothered putting pen to paper. If there could be some way of discouraging their aspirations it would allow the readers to spend a little more time on those that have even a shred of hope of becoming writers. This 'follow your dream' narrative we've all been sold is really quite pernicious.

EDIT: This is not meant as a sleight to those that entered from here - the very fact that you frequent the board and, some at least, have had work accepted in other competitions more than likely puts you in the 'shred of hope' category! But it just feels like there are two doors into the business - one very narrow one, and a huge wide one that takes a huge amount of policing but, in the end, leads to another, even narrower one. One sensibly managed, medium-sized door would be better.
:)

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd July 2015, 4:43 PM BST

It's clear from these figures that at least 1000 of those who submitted shouldn't have bothered putting pen to paper. If there could be some way of discouraging their aspirations it would allow the readers to spend a little more time on those that have even a shred of hope of becoming writers. This 'follow your dream' narrative we've all been sold is really quite pernicious.

EDIT: This is not meant as a sleight to those that entered from here - the very fact that you frequent the board and, some at least, have had work accepted in other competitions more than likely puts you in the 'shred of hope' category! But it just feels like there are two doors into the business - one very narrow one, and a huge wide one that takes a huge amount of policing but, in the end, leads to another, even narrower one. One sensibly managed, medium-sized door would be better.
:)

I agree with what you're saying, but, unfortunately, most people don't have the required self awareness or ability to be self-critical to make that possible.
Many of the people that "shouldn't have bothered putting pen to paper" are expressing genuine surprise and / or dissapointment on Twitter which indicates that they are unable to see their writing for what it is.

It's just like the X Factor et al. There are many thousands of people who enter who genuinely believe they stand a chance of winning whilst the rest of us can see immediately that they're average and have no hope.
You can't say - don't bother entering next year unless you're genuinely good because you'd still get the same number of people entering due to lack of self awareness.

My script got to the 20/30 page sift which I'm actually very surprised at as I can't read that draft without cringing now. I've developed it so much since I submitted it and improved as a writer. It was the first script I'd ever written, so whilst I feel encouraged that I made the top 14%, I'm still real enough to know I'm nowhere near where I need to be yet.

Rejection for me too, which doesn't bode well for my Sitcom Mission entry. Although I did struggle to drag out my episode to the 30 minute mark for this and feel this may have left it a bit tepid in the first 10 page stretch I have no-one to blame but myself.
But hey, nobody said it would be easy.

I got the dreaded rejection letter in the end.

That'll teach me for not looking in my junk folder, well it was junk after all.

Weird thing though, I would like to know how they assess the scripts as I've had my script looked at some top script editors and they've agreed it's ready to be sent out and developed enough.

This makes me think is the right person reading your script? Mine is quite an old fashioned style comedy with loads of verbal gags and slapstick, probably family viewing. If someone who doesn't find that style of comedy funny is then reading my script it isn't going to have much chance.

I am aware that we all need to take on board feedback etc. It just makes me raise the question of is it being looked at the right person as this makes a huge difference. This is what it comes down too in terms of writing sometimes that I think people are not aware of.

Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid.

Quote: woodsy @ 4th July 2015, 1:59 PM BST

I've had my script looked at some top script editors and they've agreed it's ready to be sent out and developed enough.

Did you have to pay for that? (if you don't mind me asking).

Andrew Ellard offers script reading and notes - was thinking about asking him for a price once I get to the stage where I'm happy with my pilot.

Quote: woodsy @ 4th July 2015, 1:59 PM BST

This makes me think is the right person reading your script?

No. The entirely wrong person is reading your script.
Anyone with the required vision wouldn't touch the slush pile with a barge-pole.
This is the problem with this sort of sifting.
The readers haven't got the time or ability to identify the ones with potential.
They can spot the shit easy enough, and as that's about 90% - fair enough - saves some other poor bastard having to read it.
No, it's the shades of grey at the top end where the problems lie.
The kind of stuff that should really be in front of a proper development guy, who will give it a decent read.

If it's any consolation I only sent one thing into Writersroom - which failed to get past the 10-page stage.
It's currently under option and we are in the process of trying to attach talent.
It'll probably never get made - most things don't - but it's earned me a few bob and is getting me some decent meetings.

The sooner you can get your stuff in front of people who's job it is to make stuff, rather than reject stuff, the better.

A lot of the above sounds depressingly right. I doubt there is any point at all in sending your cherished sitcom script to WR if you ultimately want it commissioned. Their whole ethos seems to be that if you're sending to WR you can't be that good, and this won't be helped by readers who if they're as poor as most talent show judges, follow trends and safe rules and can't see potential that doesn't follow them.

So imo they are probably missing potential gems. The Office would never have been picked up via WR, I reckon the reader would have thought the author hadn't seen a sitcom before!

Almost all the Beeb's new sitcom commissions are for established comedians and comedy writers. WR is not the place to send your sitcom script.

Quote: Penge @ 3rd July 2015, 3:57 PM BST

I also got through the first sift but alas the journey ended there.

I'll take that as a positive. Someone liked some of it enough to force someone else to read the rest!

Me too, happy with that for a first sitcom attempt.

Quote: Brosie @ 4th July 2015, 3:45 PM BST

Did you have to pay for that? (if you don't mind me asking).

Andrew Ellard offers script reading and notes - was thinking about asking him for a price once I get to the stage where I'm happy with my pilot.

Hi Brosie nah I used a company called Euroscript and managed to use the talent of script editor Andrew Cartmel (Dr Who and Casualty) he has a great sense of humour and great teaching you rather than telling you. The price I think is £80 for a thrity page sitcom, but the report is extremely detailed and helpful.

Hope this helps :D

If it's any consolation I only sent one thing into Writersroom - which failed to get past the 10-page stage.
It's currently under option and we are in the process of trying to attach talent.
It'll probably never get made - most things don't - but it's earned me a few bob and is getting me some decent meetings.

That's really helpful and gives me a lot of confidence.

If you don't mind me asking? Actually even if you did I'm going too anyway, which production company has optioned your script or where is the best place to send it?

Quote: woodsy @ 6th July 2015, 9:05 AM BST

If you don't mind me asking? Actually even if you did I'm going too anyway, which production company has optioned your script or where is the best place to send it?

Well, as always, it's complicated. Two separate companies haver had it. DLT Entertainment initially took it, but we took it out of there because they were looking to push it where it didn't want to go, which was a wasted 18 months. It's now with a guy from AMC Pictures - but in fact I've gone into partnership with him, so we've formed a sub-company for this and two other projects. He's a guy I worked with on a couple of film projects who wants to move more into TV - tons of contacts and a good business/production head.

I got stuff read because I have an agent - which I know is the classic Catch 22 - I happened to luck out, is the truth of it.

There is a list somewhere on this site of ProdCos who read unsolicited material - someone might be kind enough to post a link.
Its still the slush pile - but it's a step up from The Writersroom IMHO - and you are at least talking to producers of TV, plus they are unencumbered by the excruciating diversity agenda of the BBC which rules a lot of us out - they just want to make money!
And it's worth remembering that the BBC are not the only player - and are increasingly less important.
Sy make comedy, UK TV make comedy, Dave, HBO, E1 - the net is broadening.
There's things you can do to help your cause, like only sending it to ProdCo's that match your works genre, trying to get a specific name, a polite introductory e-mail etc etc
Again there are threads dedicated to this somewhere on the site.
Good luck!