Marks & Gran

Image shows from L to R: Laurence Marks, Maurice Gran

Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran, who celebrate 35 years as TV comedy writers this year, will receive Living Legend awards from the British Comedy Society in September.

Amongst their credits are:
The New Statesman - starring Rik Mayall
Birds Of A Feather - starring Linda Robson and Pauline Quirke
Get Back - starring Kate Winslet and Ray Winstone
Goodnight Sweetheart - starring Nicholas Lyndhurst
Shine On Harvey Moon - starring Kenneth Cranham and Nicky Henson
So You Think You've Got Troubles - starring Warren Mitchell

Not to mention the hit jukebox musicals Dreamboats & Petticoats and Dreamboats & Miniskirts.

Marks and Gran will discuss their impressive, varied career - which also included writing for Frankie Howerd on radio - and be joined in remembering stories from the past 4 decades by colleagues past and present, at London's Leicester Square Theatre on Sunday 13th September at 4pm.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to come. The celebration is being held in aid of Laurence and Maurice's chosen charities, Orbis and Crisis at Christmas.

If supporting good causes and hearing tales from comedy legends is not temptation enough, there's likely to also be the opportunity to meet some true stars as they'll be joined by numerous celebrity guests.

The British Comedy Society hopes to see you there! Members get a discount. See http://www.britishcomedysociety.com/ for details.

Tickets are just £20: https://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873535279

Wow! Thanks for the heads up, front row tickets booked!

See you there! :)

Hearing talks from writers is always interesting. Studying screenwriting at Uni, I had the pleasure of listening to a lecture from Simon Nye, from which I learnt a lot about character work, as well as some fascinating info about his then forthcoming Tommy Cooper drama.

You missed out "Love Hurts"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108840/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4 ;)

Quote: billwill @ 6th June 2015, 10:34 PM BST

You missed out "Love Hurts"

And plenty else; also Starting Out, Snakes And Ladders, Holding The Fort and Roots, for that matter! It's just a few of the most well-known.

This event is Sunday After Next.

TODAY!

Did anyone else go to this? For it, it was one of the best events I'd been to for a long time. They are so naturally funny together, and I didn't realise the audience would be so full of famous people (and Matthew Kelly). Apart from Still William, which I'll admit to finding a little bit painful to sit through, it's given me a whole new list of sitcoms to seek out, talking of which, does anyone know where to get hold of Holding The Fort?

How nice, thank you for saying so, sitcomfan. :) I should have double-checked this thread - would have tried to find you to say hello!

I quite enjoyed Still William, although it did indeed feel quite long at the end of the over-running first 'half' of the show. Such a curio!

We had a great array of guests in the end, and (hopefully) raised a nice little sum for Orbis and Crisis. If you picked up one of our programme sheets, it gives a full list of Marks & Gran's comedies.

Sadly Holding The Fort is not currently legally available - fingers crossed for Network to pull it out of the bag!

It was a great event. Well produced Aaron.

I even got mentioned, though not by name, right near the end. :)

I think you missed "New Statesman" off your info sheet. :)

Indeed there were lots of "famouses" there.

Quote: billwill @ 15th September 2015, 3:29 AM BST

I think you missed "New Statesman" off your info sheet. :)

I didn't have space to mention the stage production(s), but the TV show is mentioned on the first page. :)

Are you planning to do any more of these living legend awards/events? Victoria Wood would be amazing! As well as other writers like Roy Clarke and (if he's not been given one already) Barry Cryer.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th September 2015, 2:31 PM BST

Are you planning to do any more of these living legend awards/events? Victoria Wood would be amazing! As well as other writers like Roy Clarke and (if he's not been given one already) Barry Cryer.

Lots of info here: http://www.britishcomedysociety.com/plaques/

Our next event will be a blue plaque (see Events page): further Living Legends and plaques will follow in 2016 and beyond.

Ah right. I see it says there is an online auction? Has that already ended? It was a bugger on the raffle, the pair sat behind me got two scripts!