Animated comedy Page 2

Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show! deserves a mention, one of the best animated shows I've seen.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 1st June 2015, 12:32 AM BST

Well I'm not a lady and I agree with Zooo.

Family Guy can be very funny, but when they pick a celebrity and just do a mean spirited joke about their appearance, it makes me not want to watch. It makes it feel like it's made by bullies.

That's exactly why I like it because you can bully and intimidate cartoon characters as much as you want. But you prefer South Park where Kenny gets killed every week!!!

Yeah but he's alive the week after.

As someone who works as an anime and manga critic, I've seen a lot of animated comedy - albeit in Japanese.

There are loads of comedy anime that I could mention, probably too many for a single post. If I were to recommend anything to anyone it would be the works of director Hiroyuki Imaishi, who has made some massively popular and critically acclaimed works including Gurren Lagann (possibly the most over-the-top TV show ever and my favourite anime of all), Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (which is as rude and gross-out as the title suggests) and Kill la Kill (which on the surface seems vulgar, but actually deals with themes of fashion, fascism and possibly feminism but that's debatable).

In terms of animated comedy most people probably have seen, in my personal opinion I prefer Futurama over The Simpsons, the latter of which has run for way too long.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st June 2015, 5:42 PM BST

That's exactly why I like it because you can bully and intimidate cartoon characters as much as you want. But you prefer South Park where Kenny gets killed every week!!!

Well that's not quite what I said. They bully real people using trivial things like looks within the cartoon. Jokes about Reese Witherspoon having a big face, Ted Danson having a big forehead, Sylvester Stallone being incorerent etc.

I know they're super rich celebrities, but that doesn't alter the fact that that insulting someone who hasn't done anything wrong based purely on their appearance is nasty, mean spirited bullying. If it wasn't for that and the general smugness of the show, I'd probably quite like it.

Also, I never mentioned anything about prefering South Park. In fact I never mentioned South Park at all.

I'm not sure it necessarily excuses them but Family Guy creators describe the show as an "equal opportunity offender", meaning anyone is fair game and if you're going to live by that then you've got to stick to it, I suppose whether it be somebody's looks or personality or anything else they can pick on. Whose to say where the line is, everyone is offended by different things. Either way, it's still a very hit and miss show.

I'd like to check out Rick and Morty after watching their recent intrusion into a Simpsons couch scene:

http://youtu.be/7ecYoSvGO60

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd June 2015, 3:52 PM BST

I'd like to check out Rick and Morty after watching their recent intrusion into a Simpsons couch scene:

http://youtu.be/7ecYoSvGO60

Love this! Must have been living a sheltered life having never seen it before and going to show my ignorance - so do the Simpson's creators having anything to do with it?

I don't think there are any ties to the Simpsons team. I assume the scene was an homage to a fellow animated series that they liked.

But the Simpson animation and voices are the same, so did they patch it in or work with the Simpson's team on it I wonder, as it is very good.

Would have been copyright issues as well I would have thought?

It came from an official Simpsons episode that aired recently. I assume the animation and voice teams worked together to create the scene.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd June 2015, 3:52 PM BST

I'd like to check out Rick and Morty after watching their recent intrusion into a Simpsons couch scene: http://youtu.be/7ecYoSvGO60

Good Call Da Butt.

If you've not seen "French Roast" yet, it was Oscar nominated and has bags of atmosphere, like most French Animation.It's also funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQlK7D0VdU

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 1st June 2015, 11:47 PM BST

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Ermm.... Sounds "different"...

I'll deffinitely have to check out "Rick & Morty". I'd not heard of this one before, but it does look pretty hilarious!

I mentioned 'Archer' above, but nobody commented further. I think it's something that flew under a lot of people's radars. Even myself, I had only seen a few episodes here and there when I'd noticed they were on. I found the DVDs of seasons 1-3 in HMV the other day, for £7.99 each. I'm now half way through season 1 (I haven't yet come across an episode I've seen previously!) and I have to say it is hilarious. It's got a lot of British sensibilities to it, all the characters are massively sarcastic. I think it may be my new favourite comedy show! If it looks like it may appeal to you, check it out. It really is very funny.

I like Archer, but have only watched a few episodes. It's quite funny but I feel like I have to be in the mood to watch it.