Hyperdrive

I know Aaron has a bit of a downer on this, but I think secretly he likes it and is just trying to develop a comic motiff. The truth is, Hyperdrive is actually a pretty decent show. The scripts are original and it's great see Nick Frost developing as a performer in his own right, and not just an adjunct to Simon Pegg. And any show that has Kevin Eldon in can't be all bad. I can't wait for series 2.

Can this be deleted before Wheeler reads it?

Sorry, have to agree with Aaron on this one. Found it a very very poor comedy and not a good vehicle for the likes of Frost and Eldon. Cannot believe there is another series coming. It just wasn't very funny.

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ November 16, 2006, 9:51 AM

Laughing out loud

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ November 16, 2006, 9:51 AM

Too late, GJ! Hyperdrive - a pretty decent show? God help us all. Now where did I put those pills for me nerves? :)

I think that the Beeb is the flagship of world broadcasting, and a leader in comedy: scouting, and development. Saying that, Hyperdrive(l) had me searching the Radio Times for misprints, i thought it was an ITV production. It was Red Dwarf with all the jokes edited out and has to rank as the Beeb's (God Bless 'er Soul) biggest mistake - I'm including Anton Rodgers and J. McKenzie in this, that's how big a bollock it was. I love Eldon and ol' Frost but didn't they suss out something was amiss when the script had "Printed on recycled paper" written over it. I hope their agents are on the dole.

The best thing about Hyperdrivel is that it gave my ulcer something to gnaw on through long Winter nights.

Sorry Jason, I'm also with Ginger Jesus, Jay72, Aaron, Wheeler and SlagA on this one: Hyperdrive was dire. I'm dreading the next series as we're commited to covering everything in full which means I've got to spend another three hours watching it.

So sorry, it appears to be a general consensus that it wasn't very good. That said, everyone has one or two comedies in their favourites list that most people hate... as long as they make someone laugh they are still a comedy!

Quote: Mark @ November 16, 2006, 2:12 PM

Sorry Jason, I'm also with Ginger Jesus, Jay72, Aaron, Wheeler and SlagA on this one: Hyperdrive was dire.

add me to that list, it was worse than dire,

I didn't hate it, exactly.
It wasn't what I expected from Nick Frost and Kevin Eldon, but I just had to retune my mind and in the end I found I could enjoy it. But maybe sitcoms shouldn't be so much hard work.

Still, there was one scene with, erm... the hairy bloke who's a stand up talking about his dead dad leaving him a dad-robot to replace him, that nearly made me cry.
Yup.
So it can't be all bad!

I thought it was crap.

I'm not saying it's my favourite show by any means, but the amount of ire and anger directed at it, strikes me as out of all proportion to the shows actual faults. In fact, the more Hyperdrive gets villified, the more I like it. Mind you, I also grew fond of Maxine Carr when she got such a kicking at the hands of the tabloids.

Laughing out loud

Still, nothing on media hack Neil Sean, who believes that Ian Huntley is "cute".

Oh heck, I couldn't stand Hyperdrive and I can't believe a 2nd series has been green-lighted. I think I laughed once during the whole run (kept watching in the hope it would get better)!

Quote: lewisroberts @ November 16, 2006, 2:15 PM

add me to that list, it was worse than dire,

I'd like to be on that list too.

You'll have to beat me and wheeler out of the way, Erika.
:P

I quite liked it, it wasn't going to set the world alight but for the slot it occupied it was one of the only good things on. Plus I like the woman whose name know escapes me...She was on Not Going Out as the acupuncturist and a saleswoman in Lead Balloon.