Hugh And I Page 2

Quote: wigwam willy @ 25th April 2015, 3:53 AM BST

Both Tony and Hugh were of an age that would have known them as Wine Gums. So that little scene rings true to me.

Can't agree with you there as at the time they were known as Fruit Gums, which was drummed into people's brains with this classic ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lVfxS3Tao

Wine gums were, and still are, a totally different kettle of fish. (awaits joke)

I am sure it was down to the BBC policy on advertising.

Yep, just watched the whole sketch on YouTube, defo fruit gums called wine gums, but then you all knew that!

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 25th April 2015, 10:09 AM BST

Yep, just watched the whole sketch on YouTube, defo fruit gums called wine gums, but then you all knew that!

Yes ;)

"Wine gums" sounds funnier than "Fruit gums". It's as simple as that.

Quote: beaky @ 25th April 2015, 2:01 PM BST

"Wine gums" sounds funnier than "Fruit gums". It's as simple as that.

Does it ? Eh? To be honest, I would have thought the other way round.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th April 2015, 8:36 AM BST

Can't agree with you there as at the time they were known as Fruit Gums, which

I concur with The Honourable Gentleman.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 25th April 2015, 9:10 PM BST

I concur with The Honourable Gentleman.

:) Sir Hercules Grytpype Thynne, has a nice ring to it.

I went along to an event organised by Kaleidoscope at Birmingham Uni and was lucky enough to watch the one remaining episode of 'Hugh and I Spy' which was a one series follow up to 'Hugh and I'. It was presumed lost until it turned up as a part of a collection of old recordings on Ebay in 2013.

And it was a fine example of 1960s British comedy. Obviously, it was dated compared to modern sitcoms, but it was still highly enjoyable. Just a shame that we may never see any more. I wrote a quick article about it here:

http://www.curiousbritishtelly.co.uk/2017/09/hugh-and-i-spy.html

Very good piece, Ben.

Thought it was a very good series, enjoyed it. Great series, some funny episodes and plots. Terry Scott was great in this. Nice to see Mollie Sudgen in this as well!