Sitcom Trials 2015

Are you a budding script writer in the midlands?

Along with Foghorn Improv, we will be hosting The Sitcom Trials midlands division at The Old Joint Stock Pub & Theatre on July 3rd.

Producer/Performer Aaron Twitchen writes: We are currently doing an open call for scripts. See details below. Please share and enter. I, personally, would love to see a script with a strong, handsome, vest-wearing, brunette male lead in his mid-20s.

Full details below:

Interested? Take a look at the brief:

The Sitcom Trials wants situation comedy scripts that a small group of actors can perform in a live environment with minimal staging in front of an audience, who will hopefully laugh! Ideally these sitcoms will be so marvelous that the TV and radio industry representatives in the audience (should there be any) will snap them up immediately.

Your script must have no more than four main characters and a first 'half' of less than ten minutes. This first half should ideally end in a cliffhanger, or something that leaves the audience wanting more. It must then have a second 'half' of no more than five minutes long; after the audience have voted, the top two favourites will battle it out and perform their second 'half!'
Scripts will be performed by resident improvisation group, Foghorn Improv, and a selection of other local professional actors.

Please put your name, email address, and the title of your sitcom on the first page of your script, and send it as a PDF file. Entries must be submitted to scripts@foghornimprov.com by Friday 22nd May.

We're in the process of setting up the Radio Sitcom Trials, and we'll offer the writer of the winning sitcom the chance to have their script recorded as a full-cast audio play (with music and FX) and then hopefully broadcast on BBC local radio sometime this year.
~ Just want to come along and watch?

A selection of the top entries recieved will be performed on Friday July 3rd at the Old Joint Stock Theatre in an exciting rehearsed-reading radio-style affair! These sitcoms will be in competition with each other, the winner to be decided by an audience and panel vote.

Tickets on sale soon!

Bookings
oldjointstocktheatre@fullers.co.uk 0121 200 0946

Hi is this open to those outside the midlands?

You wait ages for a new Sitcom Trials to turn up, and suddenly three come along at the same time. No sooner have we announced the inaugural Midlands Sitcom Trials, taking place in Birmingham on July 3rd, we are delighted to announce the return of the Manchester Sitcom Trials on June 21st and the first ever Cardiff Sitcom Trials in July (date tbc).

And your scripts are invited for all three shows now!

Yes, if you would like the opportunity to see your situation comedy script performed on stage and voted on by a live audience, please send them in now, the deadline is May 22nd.

TO ENTER THE MIDLANDS SITCOM TRIALS - send scripts direct to producer Aaron Twitchen, see guidelines and details here.

TO ENTER THE CARDIFF & MANCHESTER SITCOM TRIALS:

1) You'll need to join the Facebook Sitcom Trials Group here*.

2) Go to the Group Files here, and follow the instructions marked "Sitcom Trials Summer 2015, how to enter a script (READ BEFORE ENTERING)"

*Joining the Facebook Group is different from Liking the Sitcom Trials Facebook page, though you're advised to do both. The Group is a closed group & therefore more private.

Happy comedy writing everyone. And don't forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for news.

Quote: blahblah @ 21st April 2015, 7:31 PM BST

Yes it is. The Sitcom Trials Midlands, Cardiff and Manchester are all open to writers from all over. However I am asking everyone to mention on their scripts which venue would be closest to them. If the script then proves popular, I could recommend it gets performed at a venue you might be able to get to.

We are still working on reviving the Sitcom Trials in London and Bristol, but no news at the moment.

Kev F

I (and I'm sure many others!) would love to enter if this comes to London. Good luck everyone!

Quote: Claire Lawliet @ 25th April 2015, 2:22 PM BST

I (and I'm sure many others!) would love to enter if this comes to London. Good luck everyone!

You can enter these regional Sitcom Trials if you're based in London. And I'm still working on a London Trials, we have a willing producer, fingers crossed we get a venue sorted.

Kev F

This is proper good news. Learnt so much about sitcom writing from taking part in Sitcom Trials.

That it's back is a fine thing

Quote: Trinder @ 9th May 2015, 7:47 PM BST

That it's back is a fine thing

That it appears to have had only one entry is weird. I usually expect more by now. I wonder if the Facebook files are some sort of problem? Anyhoo, enter now and you're a dead cert to get in the show!

Dotting the 't's and crossing the 'i's and there'll be two in from me within the next week.

Very exciting news coming up. We have a new Sitcom Trials team in a new city. Can you guess which city's about to announce a Sitcom Trials?

I'm thinking Vatican City. Is it Vatican City?

Cam you enter all three trials?

Yes you can enter all three cities (Birmingham you send the scripts direct to Aaron, Cardiff & Manchester you upload to Facebook). And you will all be welcome to enter the same scripts again to ******* when it's announced.

(I can tell you the script deadline is August 8th and the show is on September 8th. But as for where the new city is, you'll have to wait a tiny bit more. Not long now.)

What makes a good Sitcom Trials script? Read this brand new blog post by Sitcom Trials Manchester head honcho Sean Mason - http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/what-makes-good-sitcom-trials-script.html

Deadline Friday, bring em on!

Are you a budding sitcom writer in Scotland?

We are delighted to announce that Glasgow based comedy team Beyond A Joke will be hosting The Sitcom Trials' inaugural Glasgow show* at YesBar on September 8th 2015.

We are currently doing an open call for scripts and Glasgow's head honcho Colin McQuaid has taken on the onerous task of receiving all your scripts. So please read the submission details below, and send them to the address shown. The deadline for scripts is Saturday August 8th.

Full details below:

Plebs"

Interested? Take a look at the brief:

The Sitcom Trials wants situation comedy scripts that a small group of actors can perform in a live environment with minimal staging in front of an audience, who will hopefully laugh! Ideally these sitcoms will be so marvelous that the TV and radio industry representatives in the audience (should there be any) will snap them up immediately.

Your script must have no more than four main characters and a first 'half' of less than ten minutes. This first half should ideally end in a cliffhanger, or something that leaves the audience wanting more. It must then have a second 'half' of no more than five minutes long; after the audience have voted, the top two favourites will battle it out and perform their second 'half!'

Scripts will be performed by the regular team of Beyond A Joke comedy, and a selection of other local professional actors.
Entries are also welcomed from writer-performers, ie people who wish to perform their own scripts. In this case, could you include YouTube clips of you in action so we know what to expect.

Please put your name, email address, and the title of your sitcom on the first page of your script, and send it as a PDF or Word file. Entries must be submitted to beyondajokelive@gmail.com by midnight Saturday 8th August 2015.

Have we found the new Still Game? The new Rab C Nesbitt? The new Gary Tank Commander? You decide.

*PS: In fact this is the second Sitcom Trials to take place in Glasgow. The Trials touring show came to Glasgow on March 12th 2005, hosting a Sitcom Masterclass and a show at The 13th Note featuring special guest Janey Godley (here's a blog about how it went). It'll be good to be back.

Quote: Claire Lawliet @ 25th April 2015, 2:22 PM BST

You could always enter Sitcommission.