Simple Question.

When writing do you guys use pen and paper or a computer.

I started using a computer but changed to the old fashioned pen as it was easier to delete therefore it stopped me developing ideas.

Curious to see what you guys do?

Ps. on this site a lot but never post

computer always

it looks more real.

Quote: sootyj @ 5th April 2015, 10:56 PM BST

computer always

it looks more real.

Fair point, I do miss that aspect to the computer.

Quote: Brandon Jay Barnett @ 5th April 2015, 10:55 PM BST

I started using a computer but changed to the old fashioned pen as it was easier to delete therefore it stopped me developing ideas.

Curious to see what you guys do?

Ps. on this site a lot but never post

How can it be easier to delete using pen - or do you mean too easy to lose stuff on the computer? The good thing about a computer is you can write out of order then move chunks to where you want them in the great scheme of things. Just remember to keep saving (Note to self!).

I'm sorry...what's a pen?

A pen is an enclosure for animals.

Quote: Brandon Jay Barnett @ 5th April 2015, 10:55 PM BST

Both.
Scribble ideas on unlined paper, then quickly transfer to computer.

...pencil and paper for me all the way... Only type anything up when the scribbling stops!

Both.
I squiggle by hand, then consolidate it into typed text.
Then I squiggle all over the typed text, adding and correcting.
Then I type up all the changes to form a neat, typed text again.
Then start squiggling again.
And so forth....

I find creative work is easier by hand. More spontaneous.
But typing it up is helpful in forming it into something useful.

Typing and retyping also prevents things sliding into a jumbled chaos of squiggles, additions and arrows which I soon after can no longer decipher.

Sua cuique voluptas, as old chickpea would say.

I always use pencil and a scrappy notebook. Never anything fancy. It is only when I have everything worked out that I will switch to the computer.

Quote: Deferenz @ 17th April 2015, 9:31 AM BST

Never anything fancy.

I like using nothing fancy too, it seems that if I'm scribbling on waste paper it's easier to not try too hard to get a finished product too early.

Quote: Nogget @ 17th April 2015, 9:42 AM BST

I like using nothing fancy too, it seems that if I'm scribbling on waste paper it's easier to not try too hard to get a finished product too early.

Fancy notebooks all the way for me - love them - might need to take out shares in Paperchase.

Why can't you write in tatty notebooks? It was good enough for Agatha Christie.

My secretary takes notes while I lie on a chaise longue fondling my Pekinese.

This is a really interesting post. I've never written on my site using a pen and paper, although I always write down ideas for news satire on paper. That way I don't forget my ideas the week after.