Bluestone 42 - Series 3

I've really been enjoying this new series. As Series 2 ended on an IED, we were all fearing the worst in the first episode. But, the writers cleverly defused the situation after the first few minutes, just to shock us by blasting it all up in Episode 2. It was a nice way to get rid of both Nick and Padre, as their storyline had come to an end.

Laura Aikman does it again. She'd better watch out, or being a replacement cast member might turn into a career. Ask Ted McGinley! ;)

The cast changes have pretty much killed it for me.

(Here's the other one, Aaron.)

Bluestone 42. Ugh.
I think it is my favourite pet hate these days, aside from 'W1A'.

Among the folks I know this is a byword for ghastliness.

I don't remember this being 'comedy drama' when it first launched. It is now. Hmm.

Since the latest changes in the new series have been implemented, we now have more female representation. Not a big problem as such, but one just wonders how believable it still remains.
It's a war. It's the army. Sure, there are women. But I suspect this rather represents the male/female gender ratio of the BBC news room than that of the British army in Afghanistan.

I suspect the writers have most likely never met a squaddy in their lives.
I have. They sounded nothing like the strange confection which populates this army camp.
This is a sort of cross between macho boy scouts and a hair dressing salon, except that everyone says the f-word a lot. No doubt for supposed verisimilitude.
'It's 'ow the effing working class effing talk, you numpty,' when viewed through the prism of the South Chichester Women's Institute, no doubt.

Then there's the nigh on complete absence of gallows' humour.
This is a place where folks are dying, having their legs blown off.
Soldiers are famous for a rather bloody minded perspective on life. Shit happens.

Moreover, nobody ever wonders what the hell they are doing there.
The apparent pointlessness of their activities is never touched upon.
These labours of Sisiphus one would think contain great comic potential. But apparently not.
One does one's duty, heroically. It is enough. Hence 'comedy drama'.

The impression is inescapable that one is terrified of offending someone.
Our heroic men and women in uniform. Our glorious dead.
Well, if that is the overriding sentiment, why try to make a comedy about troopers in Afghanistan?

When watching 'Dad's Army' one can't help get the impression that one is not observing the most able fighting force in the world. There is much silliness and incompetence. That makes for laughs.
But in Bluestone 42 they're all highly trained, superb professionals. The humour is about practical jokes, downtime and shagging.
Does anyone notice the glaring discrepancy between the two?

I think I might have spotted it.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 13th April 2015, 7:22 PM BST

I don't remember this being 'comedy drama' when it first launched.

It was.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th April 2015, 8:44 PM BST

It was.

Well, I defer to your greater knowledge, Aaron.
But I think you'll no doubt foresee that I'm not prepared to concede much else on this subject.

The rest is little more than opinion, which cannot be argued with. No matter how patently insane it may be. ;)

Can't believe the series is already nearly over. :(
Feels like it's only been back 5 minutes.

Quote: zooo @ 13th April 2015, 9:00 PM BST

Can't believe the series is already nearly over. :(
Feels like it's only been back 5 minutes.

Oddly, to me it feels much longer. :)

Great end to the series. Simon!

Watched it for your sake, Aaron.
Found myself inexplicably rooting for the Taliban.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th April 2015, 10:31 PM BST

Great end to the series. Simon!

Re: Simon!
I know - can't believe it - but I'm glad they didn't get blown up.

Really enjoyed this series, hope there'll be a series four, maybe on BBC2?

:)

Quote: Bonzo @ 14th April 2015, 9:41 PM BST

Re: Simon!
I know - can't believe it - but I'm glad they didn't get blown up.

Really enjoyed this series, hope there'll be a series four, maybe on BBC2?

:)

What might it focus on? I admit to ignorance as to what soldiers do after leaving a particular theatre of war.

Quote: William Purry @ 15th April 2015, 9:48 PM BST

What might it focus on? I admit to ignorance as to what soldiers do after leaving a particular theatre of war.

I guess they'll go on another 'tour'?

Quote: William Purry @ 15th April 2015, 9:48 PM BST

Series Four? Surely, it will be a post-traumatic Simon - oiled muscular torso n'all - resurfacing in Syria on a secret mission to free POWs, firing grenade tipped arrows at Isis fighters.