Inside No. 9 - Series 2 Page 2

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you there Paul on all counts:-

A sitcom is a set of regular characters in a common situation, whereas Inside No 9 is irregular characters set in different situations each time making it a comedy drama, and so League of Gentlemen was a sitcom albeit a dark one.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2015, 8:29 AM GMT

A sitcom is a set of regular characters in a common situation, whereas Inside No 9 is irregular characters set in different situations each time making it a comedy drama

No, that makes it an anthology series. The level of humour, played as equal or secondary to the drama and thriller/horror elements, are what make it a comedy drama. :)

Bother, I just read the other posts and now kinda know what happens when I watch my record later. Thanks guys!! ;)

Quote: Aaron @ 28th March 2015, 10:27 AM GMT

No, that makes it an anthology series. The level of humour, played as equal or secondary to the drama and thriller/horror elements, are what make it a comedy drama. :)

Ummm, not sure if I entirely agree with that either as an anthology series to me are primarily dramas, end of, with no humour involved, but I suppose you could include something like L of G in that genre. Having said that, I cannot think of any that fits that bill that may set a precedent.

Whatever, I think my main point was that Inside No 9 is not a sitcom.

League of Gents is a sitcom.

God I've missed this discussion...

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 28th March 2015, 10:34 AM GMT

Bother, I just read the other posts and now kinda know what happens when I watch my record later. Thanks guys!! ;)

Sorry Shandonbelle :( I'm usually aware of not creating spoilers - just got carried away.
Wave

Quote: zooo @ 28th March 2015, 11:09 AM GMT

League of Gents is a sitcom.

God I've missed this discussion...

Boob Boo - you are right. Me typing fingers got carried away
:(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2015, 11:14 AM GMT

Boob Boo - you are right. Me typing fingers got carried away
:(

:D

Michele Dotrice in next week's! You always get a ton of interesting cast members in a No. 9 series.

Yes, there are some great actors coming up. Looking forward to them all immensely.

Any guest star would be an improvement over Jack Whitehall!

I liked it but it wasn't 'up there', am looking forward to better.

Really enjoyed the first ep. Jessica Gunning (the Aussie) was great as usual - she was in What Remains and Quick Cuts, and has a part in Fortitude which I haven't watched as it's annoyingly on Sky Atlantic.

Quote: Agnostik @ 28th March 2015, 7:27 PM GMT

Any guest star would be an improvement over Jack Whitehall!

I thought he was decent. He was such an obvious casting choice, that I wonder if they wrote the character with him in mind from early on?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 29th March 2015, 2:32 PM BST

I thought he was decent. He was such an obvious casting choice, that I wonder if they wrote the character with him in mind from early on?

In general, to me he is one of those that I have no opinion on either way, and also thought he played his part well - ideal in that part in fact..........probably.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 28th March 2015, 10:34 AM GMT

Well I didn't read any of this before watching it because I didn't want to spoil it. However I don't think this would spoil it.

Anyway I watched it on iPlayer for 12 mniutes and got interrupted, I went back 24 hours later and it continued where I'd left off automatically.

I don't think it dragged because being one-off stories in 29 minutes only there was no real room for padding. There were about 5 different stories in it as it was.

Agreeing with everyone I wasn't expecting the first twist, let alone the second one.

Great acting, (almost) totally believable (except maybe the shit in the box). Loved it.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 29th March 2015, 2:32 PM BST

Really enjoyed the first ep. Jessica Gunning (the Aussie) was great as usual - she was in What Remains and Quick Cuts, and has a part in Fortitude which I haven't watched as it's annoyingly on Sky Atlantic.

Quote from Steve Pemberton on iPlayer.

"We wrote a funny character called Hugo who is a posh backpacker, but it wasn't until halfway through that Jack Whitehall popped into our heads. It did help that he was a huge fan and had expressed an interest in working with us."

Just watched it, rather belatedly. Found the first 7 mins or so rather plodding - not that it wasn't well written and performed, it just seemed by the book. Kind of five finger exercise stuff. Once the plot proper got going I thought it was beautifully done, and nicely riffing on a bunch of vintage movies.

Normally I wouldn't go for a shit in a box scene, but the simultaneous crises, as it were, as the delay was discussed, worked very well.

On the downside, I agree that it was odd that the two doctors were in cheap accommodation (though perhaps they aren't nearly as high powered as one of them made out), and I wasn't sure how a woman is supposed to throw herself in front of a train from inside the train. Huh? Xuicide never seemed feasible anyway, given what we saw before the argument.

I predicted the first twist, but I confess the second caught me unawares.

All in all, a nice start to the series, but not as good as the best of them.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th March 2015, 5:57 PM BST

Quote from Steve Pemberton on iPlayer.

"We wrote a funny character called Hugo who is a posh backpacker, but it wasn't until halfway through that Jack Whitehall popped into our heads. It did help that he was a huge fan and had expressed an interest in working with us."

Aha! :)

Thanks, Chappers.