Rutland Weekend Television

I looked and there doesn't seem to be a thread on this which surprised me.

This of course launched The Rutles to the world.

Well considering it is 40 years old now and not repeated, it is no surprise to me there is no thread.

It was the first post-Python thing as I remember (unless Ripping Yarns was).

I'm surprised though that nobody seems to have mentioned it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b1RVXi1wQ

Saddlebag, saddlebag.

It was before my time and despite Eric being my favourite Python it has never been repeated. And has probably been mostly wiped.
The Rutles movie is a wonderful thing though.

This is the sort of show that annoys Aaron because it's pre internet, and cannot be documented.

I remember it as both parodying the Beatles, and including one of them.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2015, 11:24 PM GMT

It was the first post-Python thing as I remember (unless Ripping Yarns was).

RY came out just as RWT finished in 1976

Quote: Nogget @ 15th March 2015, 5:54 AM GMT

I remember it as both parodying the Beatles, and including one of
them.

That was The Rutles which was a parody of The Beatles and had a cameo John Lennon being a commissionaire at the entrance I seem to remember to a Gents underground toilet in the street, but that may have been in RWT - it's all a bit blurry now. :S
Ah! See it now. Yes the JL skit must have been in RWT as it appears it was George Harrison who was in The Rutles.
Lot of other big names were in it too:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077147/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

It was a spin off from the TV series Rutland Weekend Television which was sort of Pythonesque and ran for two series.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 15th March 2015, 2:41 AM GMT

It was before my time and despite Eric being my favourite Python it has never been repeated. And has probably been mostly wiped.

Nothing on Amazon but I did find this:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/rutland-weekend-television-2-dvds-neil-innes-eric-idle-530324064

Also found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUTLAND-WEEKEND-TELEVISION-DVD-ERIC-IDLE-MONTY-PYTHON-GEORGE-HARRISON-NEIL-INNES-/281617806631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4191bab527

I'm proud to say I selected the surnames of the Rutles on the Only Connect wall the other week :D

Quote: fasty @ 15th March 2015, 12:27 PM GMT

I'm proud to say I selected the surnames of the Rutles on the Only Connect wall the other week :D

Nice one, :) but sadly it wasn't one of mine I sent in. :(

Quote: fasty @ 15th March 2015, 12:27 PM GMT

Yes that was one of the few that I was able to get as well

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 15th March 2015, 2:41 AM GMT

This is the sort of show that annoys Aaron because it's pre internet, and cannot be documented.

No, I've every episode of this series, actually. :)

I do remember a bit of RWT and bits can be found on YouTube.

It's never been repeated or put onto DVD because, allegedly, Eric Idle won't give permission as it reminds him of a pretty bad time in his life.

Regulars included Gwen Taylor, David Battley and Henry Woolfe (who Steptoe fans will remember as Frankie Barrow). Neil Innes would make guest appearances and George Harrison did turn up for the Christmas Special.

Highlights included "The Old Gay Whistle Test", with Eric Idle taking of "Whispering" Bob Harris and interviewing a dead rock star - and a very good spoof of the Faustian legend with the Devil (David Battley) running a hardware shop and agreeing to take Eric Idle's soul for a liason with Helen of Troy (Gwen Taylor)sporting a Brummie accent "Helen of Troy? Helen of bleeding Edgbaston, more like!".

BTW - The John Lennon sketch was in "Not Only, but Also" from circa 1966, not RWT.

Quote: Babyface Omipalone @ 15th March 2015, 4:52 PM GMT

BTW - The John Lennon sketch was in "Not Only, but Also" from circa 1966, not RWT.

I stand corrected - as I said it is all a bit blurry now - don't get old!

Do you not think the two DVDs I highlighted are dodgy?

I think they may be - no official DVDs seem to have been released.

Quote: Babyface Omipalone @ 15th March 2015, 8:38 PM GMT

How has Aaron got it all then? Maybe he can bootleg it.

Quote: Nogget @ 15th March 2015, 5:54 AM GMT

I remember it as both parodying the Beatles, and including one of them.

I have got the Rutles DVD and two CDs.

Oh and I've also got though I'd forgotten the Rutland Weekend Songbook on vinyl.

Quote: Babyface Omipalone @ 15th March 2015, 8:38 PM GMT

People seem quite happy with them on the feedbacks and they look a reputable company..........worth a gamble methinks?

Quote: Chappers @ 15th March 2015, 9:04 PM GMT

How has Aaron got it all then? Maybe he can bootleg it.

I have got the Rutles DVD and two CDs.

Oh and I've also got though I'd forgotten the Rutland Weekend Songbook on vinyl.

Perhaps it is Aaron behind that company. :D

I've got that Songbook too. :)