What are you reading right now? Page 195

Aw, yay for Young Adult books!
And Stephen King. Is that really the first King you've read?

Quote: zooo @ 1st April 2014, 4:54 PM BST

And Stephen King. Is that really the first King you've read?

It is, never read much in the way of 'horror' for some reason.

Quote: zooo @ 1st April 2014, 4:54 PM BST

I've got The Hunger Games book sat waiting, too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 1st April 2014, 4:57 PM BST

It is, never read much in the way of 'horror' for some reason.

Ah. He's very psychological as well as bits of horror and gore.

I've got The Hunger Games book sat waiting, too.

Love them. Still haven't read the third one yet.

Pet Sematary is an awesome choice, what drew you to it.

It's probably his best and his darkest.

Quote: sootyj @ 1st April 2014, 5:09 PM BST

Pet Sematary is an awesome choice, what drew you to it.

It's probably his best and his darkest.

I knew it was a well regarded one after I looked into which one to get first. Plus it wasn't one of the thousand page plus ones. I vaguely remember a film of it, too.

The film's a lot of fun and quite faithful, but it's also quite hoaky so I'd finish the book first.
Loved that book, it fuses the modern psychoanalytic school of horror where the terrors come from our subconscious. Along with the darker Victorian one where it comes from a fear of death and sense of personal guilt. It shouldn't work but it does.

I'm planning on reading some more Jim Thompson, because he's a bad ass and takes no prisoners.

Doesn't the film have Edward Furlong? Aw.
I need to reread some of the old Stephen King books. I haven't read them since I was 12.
He's the only author who writes short stories I enjoy. I'm not into them as a rule at all. But some of his are the best things I've ever, ever read, and have stuck in my head for years.

it seems terrible to say but he wrote his best stuff when totally wasted.
I think he claims to have written Cujo and TommyKnocker so wasted he forgot writing them.
Dr Sleep is good, but it doesn't just have that meanness.

Tinker, Taylor, Soldier Spy. Generally good but gets bogged down in unnecessary amounts of background filler. Shame. The BBC series was amazingly faithful to the book.

It's an enjoyable read, but it's a little slow.

The TV show is excellent.

I think I must be the only person who likes his later books. I think once he left the warm bosom of the cold war, his stuff became much sharper and more passionate.

About crime scene cleaners. Very interesting.

Pet Sematary was really great, will be picking up more of that King bloke's stuff, I hear he's written another novel or two.

Next, this:

Wow Stott you're knocking it out of the park on the awesome book lark, the follow up Anansi Boys is great.

Best Stephen King other than Pet Semetary is a toughie, have you read Different Seasons.

No, but it's one of the ones I'll be picking up at some point. Obviously I've seen the three films that came out of it though.

Don't let that put you off, all 3 are very significantly different.
It turns out Andy Dufranes is actually a transformer, sorry for the spoiler.

But other classics, Salems Lot and Cujo both very sparse, lean, ruthless horror stories with a great 70s feel and some nasty twists.

Talisman is another fan fave, good fun if a little bit sissy.