What are you reading right now? Page 192

So I was reading about Richard the lionheart

When it was his coronation , the leaders of the Jewish community in London turned up with gifts of jewellery and swords n stuff to honour him

This was seen as some sort of conspiracy against the king (eh??)

And just about every Jew in the land was massacred

Ffs, those guys just can't catch a break

Saints of the Shadow Bible' - Rebus.

Bloody Hell.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 11th January 2014, 8:01 PM GMT

Excellent book.

Quote: Tursiops @ 22nd January 2014, 8:52 AM GMT

Excellent book.

It's on my "to-read pile", as soon as I finish some work, some Chinese biographies and the Billy Bunter canon.

Its a fast read

Quote: sootyj @ 22nd January 2014, 12:29 PM GMT

Its a fast read

The Bunter canon or the Gaiman book? I thought I'd never read any Gaiman until I realised he was the author of Don't Panic, a book about H2G2 and Douglas Adams. Which I read over 20 years ago.

Gaiman he's an absolute master story teller

"The Reason Why - The Miracle Of Life On Earth" by John Gribbin. This book fills me with wonder. So much to think about. It's right up my street.

One of the pleasures of reading Billy Bunter is the liberal use of the word "ejaculate" in the days before it was hijacked by the medical community as a euphemism for jizz coming out of a man's dick.

I never snigger when I read the word "gay" in Blyton because gay means bright and jolly, whereas "ejaculate" in Bunter invariably elicits a chuckle. Such as in the following sentence from Bunter the Caravaner:

Apparently it was something in that letter which caused Quelch to ejaculate so suddenly and emphatically.

Superb.

Another pleasure of Bunter is Frank Richards' references to classical Roman authors. There's a lovely passage about Lucretius in Bunter Out of Bounds. I had to study Lucretius in my final two years of Latin - he was the Richard Dawkins of his day, but less prosaic.

Lucretius lay unheeded on the table ... begins one sentence. Had me in spasms, I'm afraid.

The last thing I read was Anne Rice's Wolves of Midwinter. I haven't read much lately aside from the Metro and local news.

The Graveyard Book was indeed great; now moving right onto another Gaiman novel, Neverwhere. The orignal TV show is a favourite of mine, never read the book before.

I didn't rate Neverwhere, American Gods etc were much more fun.

Quote: sootyj @ 24th January 2014, 9:27 AM GMT

I didn't rate Neverwhere, American Gods etc were much more fun.

We shall see...

As I say, the orignal BBC TV series is brilliant. If cheap as a bastard.

It's more that his skill is having massively complex, references within references linked together.
As Neverwhere was for telly it missed out.