Lets start a band. Or similar.

Hi, I have been really surprised at the lack of comedy nights and comedy groups outside of London. I'm happy to travel, but I thought I would put out a call to writers or performers who fancy working on a sketch project and is in the Surrey/Hants/Berkshire area.

I'm based near Guildford, fully house trained and need to be working on something a little different. Improvisational comedy nights seem to be very rare now. It's probably a good thing, but I am also open to that.

I don't have any preconceived ideas so let's talk.

Ashley

I could get involved in the writing - if it's not totally improvised. And I'm no performer either.

Nice one Chappers. Let's talk when I get an idea of how many/who is interested.

It's all really early on but I'm fed up of nothing much happening west of the smoke!

Quote: TallTales @ 2nd March 2015, 12:48 PM GMT

Hi, I have been really surprised at the lack of comedy nights and comedy groups outside of London. I'm happy to travel, but I thought I would put out a call to writers or performers who fancy working on a sketch project and is in the Surrey/Hants/Berkshire area.

As a comedian I have done loads of gigs in the Surrey/Hants/Berks area, are you sure you've looked very closely?

Off the top of my head I've gigged in Guildford, Woking, Bracknell, Odiham, Dorking, Aldershot, Farnham, Crawley, Reigate, Haslemere, Sutton and many other places which must be within an hour's drive.

Hi Tony,

I have looked really hard and whilst I agree that there are gigs happening, I was referring more to the lack of opportunities for beginners or open spots. I have gone along to open mic nights that offered the usual music/poetry/comedy, but they seem to be 99% music acts. That was the reason for trying to get some like minded people together and try to put on something every month (or thereabouts)and hopefully build an audience for what is on offer.

If I am missing something then please tell me, as any guidance is appreciated
:)

cheers

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Have you tried going along to a local comedy night and talking to the promoter and/or local acts?

Other wise I would say it's a case of scouring listings on Chortle, facebook, here, etc and contacting people.

Comedy is a networking business.

Television is a networking business.

Installing routers is a networking business.

Fishing is the only real networking business!

Being a drag queen is a fishnetworking business.

The business of making nets is a networking business!

Writing is a not working business.

Woking is a not Dorking business.

Buttock control is a no twerking business.