Pompidou Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 4th March 2015, 2:05 PM GMT

Says a man who worships the Goons? Hmmm...

Way below the belt and absolutely no comparison.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th March 2015, 3:27 PM GMT

Way below the belt and absolutely no comparison.

The Goons worked in a radio fantasy world. Pompidou doesn't work in the TV world.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 4th March 2015, 6:51 PM GMT

The Goons worked in a radio fantasy world. Pompidou doesn't work in the TV world.

Amen to that. :)

I really enjoyed this.

It helps that I like Matt Lucas, of course, but I thought it achieved what it set out to do.

Haven't seen it as yet. But surprised no one has mentioned Futtocks End which this immediately put me in mind of from the trailer I saw. Good to hear Hunderby is coming back meanwhile.

Quote: Marc P @ 5th March 2015, 5:32 PM GMT

Haven't seen it as yet. But surprised no one has mentioned Futtocks End which this immediately put me in mind of from the trailer I saw. Good to hear Hunderby is coming back meanwhile.

Futtocks End = Rolls Royce

Pompidou = Bicycle with a flat tyre

Decided to catch up with this earlier and I have to say I thought it was pure tripe! Shame really as I do like Matt Lucas but maybe this show just isn't aimed at me.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 4th March 2015, 6:51 PM GMT

I don't think Pompidou would work in the radio world either.

Gave it 10 minutes. Not my cup of tea.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 7th March 2015, 11:22 PM GMT

I don't think Pompidou would work in the radio world either.

The Goons was made for radio! Pompidou was made for TV!
The only other difference was that the Goons were funny!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 8th March 2015, 10:10 AM GMT

The Goons was made for radio! Pompidou was made for TV!
The only other difference was that the Goons were funny!

:D And still are for me - whenever I am down for some reason I put one on and it lifts me immediately. How I wish Milligan, Sellers, Secombe and Co were still with us.

Dreadful. The fact that Alex Macqueen is in this makes it better and worse at the same time. Better because, well, he's brilliant in everything, and worse because he's doing Pompidou instead of something else. Anything else.

Very much rehashed his old Sir Bernard Chumley character and added a Butler and less dialogue. Good for CBBC but perhaps not for BBC Two still going to give it a go though.

I watched episodes one and two this morning via iPlayer in the company of my seven-year-old son (whom I had to explain the plot to). I can see what they're getting at, but like others have already said, it's in a comedy netherworld and I'm not sure my son really appreciated it. As for me: I did laugh out loud a few times due to the surreal nature/concept of a lapsed aristocrat living in a dilapidated caravan. Some of the bits were really funny - i.e. Roy Barraclough's 'Sorry I Pushed You Into A Lake' card was one such example. I personally hate sentimentality in all its forms.

It did remind me of the bad old days of CBeebies and 'Mr Tumble' though. Bored with all of that stuff. Hmm.

I know Matt Lucas is nuts but this is a little weirder than I expected. I'm going to watch episode 3 tonight. It's a little funny, mostly the slapstick stuff, but I'm just not getting it. I'm not giving up just yet.