Better Call Saul Page 2

Loved Mike's drunken trick he played on the corrupt cops.

Such an amazing show so far.

Watched the first 3 episodes and was disappointed it was just to farcical to continue watching. He played a clever and sharp character in Breaking Bad but in this he is haphazard and bungling.

Quote: Carlos Manwelly @ 13th March 2015, 3:40 PM GMT

Watched the first 3 episodes and was disappointed it was just to farcical to continue watching. He played a clever and sharp character in Breaking Bad but in this he is haphazard and bungling.

You're seeing the genesis of the character. He starts blooming into Saul around episode 4 I think.

Latest episode was a fantastic mix of intricate plot strands being setup and great acting. Loved it when Chuck dropped the box at the end.

Only thing is...

The whole 'buying syringes from a different state' thing. Why is that a big deal? Surely you can buy materials from a different state? DaButt?!

The second season begins tonight in the U.S. and I can hardly wait. I love this show!

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 15th February 2016, 9:38 PM GMT

Probably because it was safer to film in South Africa.

South Africa's murder rate is 33 per 100,000 inhabitants, ranking them 11th in the world. The United States ranks 121st.

Carrizo Springs, Texas, where the shows was set, has zero murders in an average year.

A little slow, but very beautiful.
A question for any Americans out there: I wonder if, as a Brit, I'm missing some of the more subtle elements to this? For example, I can tell that the Hummer-driving Pryce has what sounds like a very non-Texan accent; is that significant to his character? Is he as much a novice to crime as he is a novice to Texas, and if so, are there resonances there that I don't understand?

Quote: Nogget @ 18th February 2016, 5:13 AM GMT

A question for any Americans out there: I wonder if, as a Brit, I'm missing some of the more subtle elements to this? For example, I can tell that the Hummer-driving Pryce has what sounds like a very non-Texan accent; is that significant to his character? Is he as much a novice to crime as he is a novice to Texas, and if so, are there resonances there that I don't understand?

The show takes place in Albuquerque, New Mexico, not Texas. There's really no accent prevalent in New Mexico, except for maybe a slight Americanized-Mexican accent that you hear among people who have been in the States for several generations.

Pryce's accent places him somewhere in the region of North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin or perhaps the upper peninsula of Michigan. You've heard it if you've watched the film or television version of Fargo. That region is mostly quiet and rural, so there may have been an effort to use the character's "Oh gee, gosh darn" dialect to illustrate how naive and unprepared he is for making transactions with hardened drug dealers. A similar example would be using an Italian-American New Jersey accent (every gangster movie ever) to portray a character as tough and mean.

Pryce is a milquetoast who is in way over his head. He had the smarts to hire Mike to protect him on his first transaction where he drove a minivan worthy of a suburban soccer mom, but after making a single drug deal he bought the most ridiculously flashy Hummer that money can buy and decided that he didn't need Mike's protection. The money has gone to his head.

Pryce is in many ways the new Walter White: he's a regular guy who has found himself in the middle of the drug trade and is hooked on the rush of making easy money. But he's also the anti-Walt in that he's clueless and far too arrogant and careless in his actions. I doubt he'll survive very much longer.

Thanks for the answer.

Quote: DaButt @ 18th February 2016, 1:28 PM GMT

I doubt he'll survive very much longer.

It would be convenient if he did though. He's got problems with the law and with Nacho, and he's connected to Mike, who knows Saul, so it could all come together nicely to get the plot rolling.

Quote: Nogget @ 18th February 2016, 9:24 PM GMT

It would be convenient if he did though. He's got problems with the law and with Nacho, and he's connected to Mike, who knows Saul, so it could all come together nicely to get the plot rolling.

He'll probably meet his end eventually, but I have faith in the writers and know that they'll make it a great ride.

And I can't wait to see Gus Fring and Walt's brother-in-law in the future. They almost certainly have to pop up sometime.

Gus was always fun. Of course, we've already seen some of his backstory at the poolside, where his partner/lover was murdered, so there's a lot of gaps that could be filled in. Talking of the future, I wonder what else (if anything) we'll see from the black & white "Cinnabon" era?

Quote: Nogget @ 18th February 2016, 9:56 PM GMT

Talking of the future, I wonder what else (if anything) we'll see from the black & white "Cinnabon" era?

It seems like they're going to show that at the beginning of every season. We'll probably see Saul's downfall in the final season. Most of his adversaries are dead, so maybe the B&W scenes will introduce us to a new foe? Or maybe he'll just run into one of his old con victims?

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 19th February 2016, 1:23 AM GMT

I watched part of Ep. 1 (lost concentration) and thought it was a bit slow.

The first season? If so, it starts out slow, but there's a tidal wave of revelations about what made "Saul" the man he is today. Great stuff.

Another very beautifully shot and carefully paced episode. I particularly liked seeing the other side of Nacho.

BCS is easily my favourite TV show on at the moment.

It always feels like such a slowburner, but the way the writers gradually build up the narrative is phenomenal.