Newsjack - Series 12 Page 2

;) Thanks for that- not much really... suppose I have write a full sitcom?, er, how much for 30 mins of time?, yes, I'll look it up, xxxx

ps do you think the great British public is ready for a ' Hospital/cancer based sitcom?'....

so.... anyone going to the briefing?

Guess not. No invitation. Had one last series but was in hospital so couldn't go. Had assumed that I got the invite last time around because of a credit in the previous series and so thought I may get one for series 12. Can't be that simple after all.

Quote: thebda @ 12th February 2015, 11:57 AM GMT

What do they tell you at these briefings?

I went for the first time last series. They told us the sort of stuff they're looking for and they talked about the new 'mini sketch'. I'm going to this one so I'll take notes and post them here after.

:)

OK, here are some notes - please add to these anything I've missed:

Notes from Newsjack Writer's Briefing - Thursday 12th February 2015

Try to write an intro with Nish in mind
The format will be similar to last series with the same five categories
There will be NO TV LISTINGS!!
Instead, they are bringing back 'Vox Pops' at the end - these are; short and snappy, a character's view on something in the news, a bit like Jack Apps, can be set somewhere random
Keep an eye on Twitter for any changes to format
So the new submission quotas will be:
2 x sketches
1 x advert
6 x mixture of breaking news & vox pops (so this is less than last time, but the vox pops are more substantial than the one liners)
Please use the templates
Sketches and advert to be in by noon on Monday
One liners inc vox pops to be in by noon on Tuesday
Regarding breaking news - they would like these to be topical; they don't have to be though
Someone asked if they wanted election stuff or not; they said that we should remember that the BBC has to be balanced

Thanks Bonzo, useful stuff. He says, deleting all the TV listings I've been working on since October.

They've updated the guidelines now to reflect what Bonzo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1hDdvFLfWClPHW7zT3sq01S/submit-a-sketch

OH great, thanks- lot of work to do!

Quote: Bonzo @ 12th February 2015, 8:29 PM GMT

Try to write an intro with Nish in mind

Any recordings of him?

Someone asked if they wanted election stuff or not; they said that we should remember that the BBC has to be balanced

Not just concentrate on UKIP?

'Viewsjacks are vox pops in format' - So is that the same format as the Breaking News one-liners?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th February 2015, 8:07 AM GMT

Any recordings of him?

He's got some stuff up on the YouTube and was on the Alternative Comedy Experience last year too. If you really want a good insight into his comedy he was also interviewed for the Comedians' Comedian Pod last autumn.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th February 2015, 8:07 AM GMT

Not just concentrate on UKIP?

Gabby (hope I got that right) one of the inhouse writers pointed out that Farage is essentially his own punchline and difficult to write about with any originality.

Quote: Gollum Bond @ 13th February 2015, 10:43 AM GMT

'Viewsjacks are vox pops in format' - So is that the same format as the Breaking News one-liners?

They used vox pops in the first two or three series', and are basically (fictional) members of the public's views on news, politics, etc. You've no doubt seen these done on TV sketch shows. You never hear the actual interviewer's question, just the reply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nz8b8

Comedy club interview with Nish Kumar.

Quote: Gollum Bond @ 13th February 2015, 10:43 AM GMT

Here's previous NJ producer Ed Morrish talking about Jackapps, the previous type of Vox-pops on Newsjack: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/w216JdHkDhbKmHFM8ZY3zR/ed-morrish-why-one-liners-are-harder-than-jackapps

For him it was all about the character behind the line, although whether the new producers have a similar view is yet to be seen!

Thank you StephenM.