It's Adam And Shelley Page 7

i agree with the consensus. this is about as bad as its possible to be in my view.
having said that, its quite interesting to watch and try and work out why it is so bad.
i think some of the sketches have an interesting premise but for me, they just go on way too long. also, the humour is quite cruel, which i don't enjoy. there is no warmth in any of the characters.
with other similar shows like little britain and fast show - you really do warm to the characters. but wanking in your hand and trying to rub your muck on a bloke's head doesn't really do it.

I think the problem with a lot of these sketch shows (Catherine Tate, Titty Shite, etc) is the writing.

The tendancy now is to start with the talent. Performers are spotted on the live circuit, at Edinbrough, etc by producers and then offered their own show based on the fact that their work well as a live act.
Unfortunately this doesn't then work on TV. What was maybe a 20 minute to one hour set is then stretched out to 6 half hour shows. Material is sparse, sometimes the performer wants to showcase their acting talent to the detriment of the writing. Producers - in the mistaken belief that the audience are all idiots who like to know what's coming - encourage them creating characters that can be put into endless different situations - but with exactly the same outcomes. In sitcoms this works, in sketches it just becomes tired and predicatable.

It seems what works on a live stage doesn't work so well on TV. Some recent sketch shows, in my opinion, have worked (Mitchell and Webb for one), but overall the stuff being churned out is hopeless and I think this is often because the starting point is the performers and not the concept/writers.

Although not a sketch show, I think the Mighty Boosh is a case in point where writing for a live audience is different to a TV one. Series two was much better than series one because they were smart enough to move away from what made their live act work so well (the banter at the beginning for example) and actually tailor the script to TV.

I think maybe TV and radio producers should look a little further than the live scene to find new talent.

Mitchell & Webb had the benefit of having a good radio sketch show beforehand so they knew the talent was there.

On a slightly separate note, how do you find out the tv ratings? I would love to know what this show got for its second episode - plus a few others.

Oop, hangon, I'll just pop into Mark mode:

Media Guardian. Blah blah paid. Blah subscription. Blah blah IMDb. Blah something.

End Mark mode.

:)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 10, 2007, 10:51 AM

Mitchell & Webb had the benefit of having a good radio sketch show beforehand so they knew the talent was there.

On a slightly separate note, how do you find out the tv ratings? I would love to know what this show got for its second episode - plus a few others.

Although a bit behind, this should help.

http://www.barb.co.uk/index1.cfm?flag=home

I believe the figures for VV were 1.8M and 1.5M for Peter S. Over 2M watched Everton play an unknown team on CH5.

Also, noticed it on the headings that Laura Solon has signed up to do shows on various things. I think this is where we go badly wrong as well. Putting pressure on a person to come up with things is going to make them feel forced.
Let them come with a great idea and then sign them up.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 10, 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote: Aaron @ October 10, 2007, 9:38 PM

Oop, hangon, I'll just pop into Mark mode: Media Guardian. Blah blah paid. Blah subscription. Blah blah IMDb. Blah something.

You confused me for a moment there Aaron - I thought, "hang on, I don't remember replying to this".

The short answer though ContainsNuts is that unless you have a paid subscription it's quite hard to find out TV ratings until a month after the show has been on (incidently that's via barb.co.uk).

I'll let you know if I find out (as I'm quite interested too).

Laughing out loud

Thanks Marks!

i watched a bit of this last night and it wasn't as bad as it has been. i smiled a few times. my wife even laughed and said "this is funny".

Watched the first two. I thought the Worlock-dad sketch was funny, quite original. It's not as bad as everyone says. It's a new BBC 3 sketch show so wasn't expecting it to change my world.

While I agree, this show is pretty poor, I don't think it could ever be as bad as 'Tittybangbang', no matter how hard it tried.

both made my jaw drop. in a bad way.

Unfortunately, 'It's Adam and Shelley' suffers from a lack of the two basic ingredients of good comedy - 1) sharp, tight, intelligent writing and 2) understated but razor-sharp comic performances.

Okay, so it's supposedly meant to be a mere frippery... a silly, throwaway sketch show aimed at a younger audience, but even the silliest comedy (see Father Ted for example) relies on really taut and clever writing.

These sketches smell of a lack of a quality buffer, a lack of re-writing and editing. The premises are tired and predictable, the writing is bland and meandering. When you get thirty seconds into a sketch and you know how it's going to end it's bad enough. When the initial premise hasn't even made you laugh and you have to wait around another couple of minutes for the sketch to crawl to its finish, you're in the disaster zone.

The characters are unsympathetic and not funny enough to justify their behaviour. Whatever one thinks of Little Britain or Cath Tate they keep their absurd and often cruel characters grounded in a real world, as gross exaggerations of underlying human characters and human experience. The Fast Show & Harry Enfield perhaps showed how absurd characters really blossom out of real people. Adam & Shelley simple take a sledge-hammer to stereotypes and invent characters who simply don't behave as human.

The performances are massively over-the-top and not in a funny way. They never really inhabit a character, and no amount of wigs, costumes and make-up can diguise that. Whatever the merits of these two in live performance, nothing has been toned down for the magnifying effects of a TV camera lens.

In the performers' defence they may have felt obliged to compensate poor writing by 'turning-up' their performances. Presumably though, this being their breakthrough show, they had more than a hand in the selection of material, so no excuses there.

You can always reply to any criticism of a comedy show that it's "not you're kind of thing". True, but I really don't that this is anyone's kind of thing. That should have been apparent after they shot a pilot.

I'm all in favour of the Beeb showing its commitment once again to the sketch show (I'm waiting to see whether I'll be involved in writing one, probably to be on BBC 3), but they seem to be desperate for anything that apes Little Britain. Now, Little Britain ain't on the whole for me, but I respect the fact that Walliams & Lucas are genuinely very talented writers and performers who obviously know what they want.

I'd like to see more sketch shows along the line of Mitchell & Webb, Armstrong & Miller. OK, some might say they're very middle-class, but they don't rely on one-trick pony characters and they genuinely explore new comedy territory on occasion.

Probably the best sketch show of recent years was Big Train, especially the first series written by bother Arthur Mathews and Graham Lineham. But even the second series was pretty damn good.

One little tip for budding sketch show producers. Go and look at the writing credits at the end of really great sketch shows, e.g. the early Alas Smith & Jones, The Fast Show, Harry Enfield, Big Train, The Day Today, Brass Eye etc...
See how many very diverse and talented writers (and subsequent performers) contributed to each episode. Sketch shows should employ a large number of quality writers providing a large batch of sketches from which the producers & performers cull a series out of. Not a second of air-time should be wasted in a sketch. There is no place for lazy writing. Assemble a bunch of performers who can act rather than a bunch of stand-ups... Oh, I could go on and on and on... and indeed I have.