Getting hold of scripts Page 2

Exactly. Scripts are fluid documents, not things that should be locked down. Makes editing harder for other people in the process.

F**k the other people in the process! :)

Hmm. I think it's a strategy that may backfire :)

You can edit PDFs.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 7th January 2015, 10:07 AM GMT

Hmm. I think it's a strategy that may backfire :)

WHy? When it gets to a production script they can do what they like with it, to a degree, if a script is being edited it is for the writer to make amendments until the script is locked off.

No I can't! No idea how to. But I do know how to edit in Word and Final Draft.

Quote: Marc P @ 7th January 2015, 10:33 AM GMT

WHy? When it gets to a production script they can do what they like with it, to a degree, if a script is being edited it is for the writer to make amendments until the script is locked off.

I'm sure you're being tongue in cheek, but in a business where decisions can be made by fine margins I'm not sure you want the formatting of your document to advertise that attitude!

I always send out first drafts, treatments and specs in PDF format.
No complaints so far.
If they want to go further we begin exchanging in Final Draft or whatever.
And anyway, they can add notes to PDF very easily (and they will!).
But until the paperwork's done you don't really want to encourage 'tinkering'.

Oh well. I wince a bit at the idea, but that may just be me.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 7th January 2015, 11:18 AM GMT

Oh well. I wince a bit at the idea, but that may just be me.

I thought industry standard was to send scripts in PDF format, for all the reasons listed above! Too much of a risk of your formatting going wrong on someone else's computer.

Plus the point of a script is for it to be made better. It is just a blueprint after all.

I never have. Maybe it is an industry standard, and I'm the one out of line.

I wouldn't say out of line at all, no one will hate you for it. Have you had a script go through the production process?

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th January 2015, 11:07 AM GMT

But until the paperwork's done you don't really want to encourage 'tinkering'.

Yeah.. Like I say.. F**k em! :D

Quote: Marc P @ 7th January 2015, 1:22 PM GMT

I wouldn't say out of line at all, no one will hate you for it. Have you had a script go through the production process?

Yes. But I don't want to accord my own opinion undue weight. Plenty of ways to skin a cat (although surely there aren't? Then again, I'm not a furrier).

When it went through that process did they amend the document themselves or feed back notes for you to make changes? What was the nature of the production.

I know scriptwriting is a hugely collaborative process, but there is collaboration and then there is the sticking of ignorant, sticky fingers in where they don't belong. :)

See I wouldn't like the repeat above of the sticky concept, but if it needs changing ..give me a note and I will f**king change it! You know that kind of thing :)

All sorts. I take what you mean about "sticky fingers", but that seems to be a problem with the producer-writer relationship not the formatting.

Quote: Marc P @ 7th January 2015, 4:42 PM GMT

then there is the sticking of ignorant, sticky fingers in where they don't belong. :)

We all hate that. :)

My perception (which may or may not be accurate) is:

1. PDF looks more professional than celtx or Word.

2. Final Draft probably fine, presuming that the reader also has Final Draft.

3. If it is funny, well plotted, sparkling sitcom it could be written on the back of a fag packet for all they care.