Count Arthur Strong - Series 2 (TV) Page 3

It's a strange show, isn't it?

It's like a simple, early evening sit com from about 1976-86, and this week's had a bit of a Some Mothers vibe at times. And then, into this are dropped, quite awkwardly, the hilarious Count character, and some rather wrenched pathos.

I didn't like this week's as much as last week's, and certainly like none of them as much as the radio show, bhut despite all my reservations about the tone, I do find it incredibly watchable.

It won't be one for the annals, but it does raise a chuckle.

I thought it was the first of the series as that is what the continuity announcer appeared to say. Now I realise from other peoples' comments it was the second. Apologies for the confusion in my post yesterday.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th January 2015, 12:07 PM GMT

I'm not sure what its reference points are design wise. Desmond's?

I think it makes Desmond's look like gritty realism. Laughing out loud

I like the cafe, though - I wish there were cafes like that where I live. There used to be one, but the guy died Teary

Quote: gappy @ 15th January 2015, 8:30 PM GMT

I think it makes Desmond's look like gritty realism. Laughing out loud

I like the cafe, though - I wish there were cafes like that where I live. There used to be one, but the guy died Teary

It's not very real is it? Laughing out loud

We need a list somewhere of great comedy cafes.

I like Miserys in the Real McCoy. :)

The mix up over the flying lesson was reminiscent of the confusions that abounded in the radio show.

Thoroughly enjoyed that and now get the Rockers and Urchins reference elsewhere - very funny.

And there was me thinking there was a tad of Hancock in him, and who should be playing the flying club owner? None other than Kevin McNally. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th January 2015, 9:20 PM GMT

Thoroughly enjoyed that and now get the Rockers and Urchins reference elsewhere - very funny.

And there was me thinking there was a tad of Hancock in him, and who should be playing the flying club owner? None other than Kevin McNally. :)

Yes - it reminded me of Hancock's aircraft episode.

...getting cheap laughs...

Quote: vinny j @ 15th January 2015, 7:05 PM GMT

@Compo "What I do (seriously) is download the show then open a video editor and delete ALL the Rory Kinnear scenes. Try it if you can, Its much funnier!"

I will call you out on that, don't believe for a second anyone other than a person with a very sad life would do that. Very silly to make stuff up to try and get a point across.

As for "....and this is worse than the first series... the Count is hardly in it!"

Apart from being in nearly every seen that is.

YOU CALLING ME A LIAR? Angry

I happen to do it for a living and bashing through a 30min episode and deleting the "Shit" takes about 5 of my "sad" minutes.

+ theres a nice looking table in all of the cafe "seen"'s too but there not really relevant!

...anyway you don't fool me! Your either 4 years old or Graham whats'his'ted himself just trying to prop up your poor show.

And PLELEEEEEEESE mr Delaney if your reading this put your foot down and BE the Count again!!!!

I agree

The Count on the radio was infuriatingly annoying at times - which was his appeal

He was a total nutter!

His TV incarnation has had a lot of the 'life' sucked out if him

He is a pale shadow of himself now

I don't know why they made this decision

I still like the TV show

It's just....it's not Arthur

Another belter!

Laughing out loud

This episode was a knockout! ;)

Radio or TV Arthur is hilarious. They're quite different, but I love them both.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it too. Although, I do feel that that this series has been a lot more silly compared to the first series, something which I'm not too keen on but yeah on the whole, it was good.

Series 1 was not remotely silly enough !