Character biographies Page 2

Lister's character notes: complete scruff. Mixed race. Funny haircut with little dreadlocks at the back. Two appendixes.

Quote: Jennie @ 2nd January 2015, 10:07 PM GMT

So focus on attitudes rather than facts.

Quote: Marc P @ 12th January 2015, 1:54 PM GMT

I Sum your character up with a single sentence defining ATTITUDE and that should be good enough.

:)

Is this me being right and you being sensible again? :D

I think they're useful if they help you build conflict between characters.

Dave Lister from Red Dwarf was mentioned above. This show is pretty much that platonic example of a character designed to wind up another - The ship's computer Holly brought back Rimmer specifically because he was the crew member that would annoy Lister the most and thus keep him sane.

So lets say you're pairing up characters. Gender gap - man and woman. Make them flatmates. Perhaps the woman has feminist tendencies. Perhaps the man has cheated in the past and one of his flings shows up as a guest character. Maybe the woman's hobby is a sport such as cricket - society doesn't really care about women's cricket. This is all stuff that would generate conflict between them.

Quote: Lawrence Diamond @ 13th January 2015, 4:22 AM GMT

I think they're useful if they help you build conflict between characters.

Dave Lister from Red Dwarf was mentioned above. This show is pretty much that platonic example of a character designed to wind up another - The ship's computer Holly brought back Rimmer specifically because he was the crew member that would annoy Lister the most and thus keep him sane.

So lets say you're pairing up characters. Gender gap - man and woman. Make them flatmates. Perhaps the woman has feminist tendencies. Perhaps the man has cheated in the past and one of his flings shows up as a guest character. Maybe the woman's hobby is a sport such as cricket - society doesn't really care about women's cricket. This is all stuff that would generate conflict between them.

Yes, but you can (and should) do all that as you go along.
You are allowed to re-write and retro-fit - in fact it's vital.
But there books and software out there that have you filling in what degree they got and their favourite food etc. before you even write a word.
That's just process for process' sake.

Quote: Jennie @ 12th January 2015, 11:36 PM GMT

Is this me being right and you being sensible again? :D

Absolutely!! I learn from the best! :D

Quote: Marc P @ 12th January 2015, 1:54 PM GMT

character is only interesting when in action and not repose.

By 'in repose', do you mean when the script's not about them?

When you go into a fight and people start throwing punches you don't think back to exercise classes you just whirl into action like an elegant ninja.

Quote: Nogget @ 13th January 2015, 9:44 AM GMT

By 'in repose', do you mean when the script's not about them?

Not really. I just mean when there is nothing at stake, People can be having a conversation but there is still action because something is at stake. Some dynamic WILL shift in the scene. Of course a lot of people just write banter (so the driving narrative motivations of character are in repose if you will) but without action it's usually just boring bollocks!

Quote: Marc P @ 13th January 2015, 9:50 AM GMT

I just mean when there is nothing at stake, People can be having a conversation but there is still action because something is at stake.

When there's nothing at stake, something is at stake?

Sorry, not quite following you.

I meant in repose meant that nothing is at stake. Put something at stake and you have action.

Gotcha, thanks.

;)

I don't write well!

> Yes, but you can (and should) do all that as you go along. You are allowed to re-write and retro-fit - in fact it's vital.

Well, I'm glad you say that. It makes me feel better about my own "slap-dash" methods.

Slap dash? Slap dash?
The very thought.

It's an overused analogy, but it's a journey.
Where do you want to start, where do you want to end up.
You need to plan a route before you get in the car - but that doesn't mean you can't take a detour or stop for a picnic on the way.
The joy of writing is that, if half-way through the journey you realise you've left your wallet at home, it's a lot easier to go back and get it!

Quote: Lawrence Diamond @ 14th January 2015, 5:48 AM GMT

> Yes, but you can (and should) do all that as you go along. You are allowed to re-write and retro-fit - in fact it's vital.

Well, I'm glad you say that. It makes me feel better about my own "slap-dash" methods.

Writing isn't so much about methods it's about feeling. If you are concentrating on the process too much you sometimes hamstring your creativity. Get the thing written and then play about with it is my advice. The easy work is in the re-writing. Planning is good, over planning if it stops the work is bad. Hard call I know. I guess everyone is different though and at the end of the day if it works it works! I would be wary of the how do I fill a 'How to' book exercises though.

If it sells it sells and that's the perfect response to people who question your methods!
:D

[quote name="Lazzard" post="1105101" date="14th January 2015, 10:11 AM GMT"
The joy of writing is that, if half-way through the journey you realise you've left your wallet at home, it's a lot easier to go back and get it!

[/quote]

What the f**k are you talking about? Never use your own wallet!! ;)

Quote: Marc P @ 14th January 2015, 11:54 AM GMT

What the f**k are you talking about? Never use your own wallet!! ;)

Sorry, schoolboy error.
I meant the producer's wallet.