Mapp & Lucia

Excellent cast, excellent script and most enjoyable.

Here......

It was quality stuff, I agree and the cast were amazing. Not really sure how the plot will expand over two more episodes though as it just seems to be a tale of small town snobbery. I think the scheduling would work better over three consecutive *weeks*, not days, but I guess that I can PVR it accordingly.

The scenery looks amazing in HD too.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 30th December 2014, 2:11 AM GMT

Not really sure how the plot will expand over two more episodes though as it just seems to be a tale of small town snobbery.

Well, they managed ten episodes in the original series - and there are at least half-a-dozen novels...

:)

The League of Gentlemen were certainly noticeable over this Christmas/New Year period, what with Mark Gatiss and Steve Pemeberton (both superb in their parts, especially Mr Pemberton) in Mapp & Lucia and Reece Shearsmith in House of Fools.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th December 2014, 9:23 AM GMT

Well, they managed ten episodes in the original series - and there are at least half-a-dozen novels...

Indeed, although I'd wager that they are all fairly similar. A bit like PG Wodehouse lite.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th December 2014, 10:01 AM GMT

The League of Gentlemen were certainly noticeable over this Christmas/New Year period, what with Mark Gatiss and Steve Pemeberton (both superb in their parts, especially Mr Pemberton)in Mapp & Lucia and Reece Shearsmith in House of Fools.

That shows the breadth of their talent. I have always thought that The Gents plus other comedy chameleons such as Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse could give the RSC a run for their money. Actually, saying that, wasn't Tamsin Greig part of the Stratford-based band of merry thespians?

Miranda Richardson seemed rather Prunella like.

Just about recognisable with those gnashers in.

As Prunella Scales, you mean?

Very good. More, please.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th December 2014, 10:17 AM GMT

Miranda Richardson seemed rather Prunella like.

Her performance was essentially a facsimile of Prunella's Scales' from the Channel 4 series. Much like when you see theatrical productions of Abigail's Party and Beverly is always a copy of Alison Steadman. I guess the kids here haven't seen the original show.

I have to say I was dreading this, essentially because of Steve Pemberton as Georgie but he was actually okay. It is was Gatiss who was hideously miscast as Major Benjy - a career soldier. I doubt he'd even get into Captain Flack's Trumpton army he's so physically and vocally effete.

Do casting directors not matter anymore? If Gatiss had to have a role because of the mates network couldn't he have played Twistevant or even Quaint Irene?

The C4 series aired 30 years ago but is in colour, if not widescreen and HD and is available on DVD. (I'm sure Aaron will provide a link.) It is essentially perfectly realised, from its excellent title sequence and music onwards. Remaking it seems more like an exercise in keeping certain people in work than bringing anything new to the screen - except more pixels of course.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 30th December 2014, 3:22 PM GMT

The C4 series aired 30 years ago but is in colour, if not widescreen and HD and is available on DVD. (I'm sure Aaron will provide a link.)

Don't mind if I do! :D

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/3855/mapp_lucia_the_complete_series_dvd/

Just a pity Miranda Richardson is allowed to chew the scenery. When it's all there in the writing, no need to hit it over the head. Still, she has history.

Silly story line, but nonetheless still very enjoyable. Will they now become firm friends? I doubt it so will be very interested to see how it concludes.