Writers Income Opportunity. Page 2

I didn't say that. Maybe there are but doubt Sooty is one of them.

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th December 2014, 5:41 PM GMT

Just out of interest, why do you find it so hard to believe someone on this site earns their money from free-lance writing?

I'm afraid Lazzard like a hideously deformed stripper, performing to an audience of the blind and impotent.

I suspect he's desperate for a rise....any rise.

I'm afraid Lazzard; like a hideously deformed stripper performing to the blind and impotent; I suspect he is desperate for a rise...any rise.
Semi-colons are useful.
You haven't risen yourself; to the challenge.

Sorry to perpetuate this but that isnae a proper use of a semi either Jerf.

And commas would have been right for sootyj with an ellipsis at the end for stylistic effect nicely used. Mind you I am afflicted with the same problem as Lazzard and he.

Unless you really are afraid of course in the first instance? Otherwise a 'that' added and a simple comma.

What rampant alcoholism?

Why I oughta set my invisible bunny on you.

Actually for someone with my problems with English; I'm rather touched to see that my only noticable error was choosing between a comma and a semi colon.

Which I believe even Stephen Fry considers an aesthetic choice.

Quote: Jerf Roberwitz @ 28th December 2014, 6:40 PM GMT

Maybe there are but doubt Sooty is one of them.

Which is odd, because he actually includes a direct link in his sign-off to one of the the sites where he earns money, where there are details of jobs he has done.

Check your facts before you start spraying the invective.

Is that a euphemism?

And sootyj rampant alcoholism ..!? I'll have you know I inherited that liver!

George Osborne reckons he's got a grip of the economy, do you believe him?
I'm not afraid and didn't say I was.
I've checked with my 'Grammar For Grownups' and my punctuation is acceptable.

Quote: Marc P @ 29th December 2014, 10:01 AM GMT

Is that a euphemism?

And sootyj rampant alcoholism ..!? I'll have you know I inherited that liver!

From a brontosaurus I suspect, if the footage of that Sherringham pub seige are to be believed.

Quote: Jerf Roberwitz @ 29th December 2014, 10:04 AM GMT

George Osborne reckons he's got a grip of the economy, do you believe him?
I'm not afraid and didn't say I was.
I've checked with my 'Grammar For Grownups' and my punctuation is acceptable.

Did you wish me to point out where you are wrong Jerf? Don't wish to get into an argument but I am happy to help?

Yes please.

Take your filthy red hands off that sherry, before I blow you in 2 you bearded, booze thief.

Snarled the Drunken Detective as he levelled his faithful shotgun at St Nicolas.

Or should I say St Pickled Arse, you international, imaginary booze thief.

Growled the Drunken Detective, with surprisingly good diction for someone who'd just imbibed a paddling pool of advocaat and a lilo full of gin.

Darling have you finished putting the presents under the tree, whilst dressed as Santa. Called down the lovely Mrs Drunken Detective.

Yes love of my life, but theres someone dressed as Santa hiding in the mirror I bought you he's trying to swipe my bloody sherry....and he's got a shotgun. Don't worry I've got the drop on him.

It might not be LSD but he's on something. If you are a dealer, I'll have some.

A semi colon basically separates two clauses, issues that are being addressed if you will that are being grouped together due to the subject. So two different things that are connected.

'I'm afraid Lazzard; like a hideously deformed stripper performing to the blind and impotent; I suspect he is desperate for a rise...any rise.'

By using the semi colon you are making two statements here, therefore, one that you are afraid and then to address reasons for your disquiet. In fact you were wanting to use the expression in a colloquial sense so you absolutely do not separate the words and you need the 'that' to keep it in that context. The subsequent use of semi colons are also wrong as the part of the sentence 'performing to the blind and impotent' can be but doesn't have to be in parenthesis. Semi colons do not put things in parenthesis. So you either run as is or separate the enhancing phrase by commas.

Hope that helps.

The point about honesty by the way is about the person being honest. I do not believe that Osborne thinks he has a grip on the economy in that he is handling it successfully -he just believes what he is doing is better for him and his than what the red scum would be doing. Farage's popularity is due largely to the fact that he says what he thinks without too much brain processing getting in the way. People buy the man, or woman, before they buy the product.

Quote: sootyj @ 29th December 2014, 10:20 AM GMT

Take your filthy red hands off that sherry, before I blow you in 2 you bearded, booze thief.

Snarled the Drunken Detective as he levelled his faithful shotgun at St Nicolas.

Or should I say St Pickled Arse, you international, imaginary booze thief.

Growled the Drunken Detective, with surprisingly good diction for someone who'd just imbibed a paddling pool of advocaat and a lilo full of gin.

Darling have you finished putting the presents under the tree, whilst dressed as Santa. Called down the lovely Mrs Drunken Detective.

Yes love of my life, but theres someone dressed as Santa hiding in the mirror I bought you he's trying to swipe my bloody sherry....and he's got a shotgun. Don't worry I've got the drop on him.

:D Did you see my vid? ;)

I did it was rather fun.