The non-cliquey pop music thread. Page 2

Following on from a post somewhere on the forum with a bit of detective work I've discovered one of the recent songs I couldn't understand a word of but was on the radio all the time when I was working in a different office recently.

"All about that bass" by Meghan Trainor.

The only bits I could honestly understand were the "No trouble" bits. Am I finally entering Old Fartdom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Quote: Chappers @ 11th March 2015, 11:21 PM GMT

. Am I finally entering Old Fartdom?

Yes, accept with grace, as I did. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th March 2015, 6:56 AM GMT

Yes, accept with grace, as I did. :(

They are always banging on about Ms Trainor's output (is she related to Marion Plimsoll btw?) because it concerns teenage body image. Yeah right. You need base, but you shouldn't ignore the treble, it's all about balance.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th March 2015, 11:21 PM GMT

Following on from a post somewhere on the forum with a bit of detective work I've discovered one of the recent songs I couldn't understand a word of but was on the radio all the time when I was working in a different office recently.

"All about that bass" by Meghan Trainor.

The only bits I could honestly understand were the "No trouble" bits. Am I finally entering Old Fartdom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

They all have an industry-led obsession with the rear. Twerking etc. That's what she is on about. The treble would be the three bits at the front. Ignore (i) dubious PHDs on alleged infancy in adulthood and (b) faux outrage from the New Moral Majority. It's neo-liberal economics yet again - American!

Before the rot set in:

Hey Mickey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-Zrg9CB_Q :D

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th March 2015, 7:28 PM GMT

Before the rot set in:

That really is a great pop record. I bought it for my daughter when it first came out. I'm sure Aaron would love it.

They all have an industry-led obsession with the rear. Twerking etc. That's what she is on about. The treble would be the three bits at the front.

No, in that song by bass she means bigger girls and by treble she means thinner, skinnier ones.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2015, 9:46 PM GMT

That really is a great pop record. I bought it for my daughter when it first came out. I'm sure Aaron would love it.

I got the video............for me. Lovey

Quote: zooo @ 14th March 2015, 11:04 PM GMT

No, in that song by bass she means bigger girls and by treble she means thinner, skinnier ones.

Oh.

Ok then.

Thanks for the clarification. Cool Whistling nnocently ;)

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2015, 9:46 PM GMT

Nice memory.

It has the same cheerleader thing but is more indie pop.

I remember it when driving in my mini van to the insurance office.

Salary - £3,201 pa.

If only I had that sort of income now. Rolling eyes

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2015, 11:07 PM GMT

I got the video............for me. Lovey

Yes. I know.

That is, I didn't doubt it. Geek

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th March 2015, 11:27 PM GMT

Yes. I know.

That is, I didn't doubt it. Geek

Got both versions too. Cool

He's back!

Ole' cross-eyes,
The Chairman Of The Dork,
The Hardest Smirking Man In Showbiz,
America's Biggest...Ass!

Listen and learn:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xydmjr-nmU4

They all have an industry-led obsession with the rear. Twerking etc. That's what she is on about. The treble would be the three bits at the front. Ignore (i) dubious PHDs on alleged infancy in adulthood and (b) faux outrage from the New Moral Majority. It's neo-liberal economics yet again - American!

Before the rot set in:

I'm sorry, Horseradish. But I just must ask this. :)
How do you get from backsides and twerking to American neo-liberal economics in the same post?
Reading it I can't avoid the feeling that I skipped a page or two.
But however many times I re-read, I just can't spot what I have missed.

Care to enlighten me?

Else I will have to retaliate by posting an alleged link which connects cricket, the average length of hair in the Czech Republic and Chinese industrial output.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 17th April 2015, 9:40 PM BST

I'm sorry, Horseradish. But I just must ask this. :)
How do you get from backsides and twerking to American neo-liberal economics in the same post?
Reading it I can't avoid the feeling that I skipped a page or two.
But however many times I re-read, I just can't spot what I have missed.

Care to enlighten me?

Else I will have to retaliate by posting an alleged link which connects cricket, the average length of hair in the Czech Republic and Chinese industrial output.

Thanks for the question. Sex wouldn't exist in an economic vacuum. In very equal societies - eg Communism - the vast majority of people are poor. They produce children to have some chance of support in older life as they aren't going to get any money from the state. Apart from that, they lead lives that would put the purest of nuns to shame. Why? Because at a certain point they can't afford to raise any more children. In contrast, liberal societies will flaunt their economic inequalities. Huge numbers of people struggle financially but comparatively few will be really desperately poor, at least for as long as there is some sort of welfare. The entire emphasis in society is on making money out of anything. So sex is a massive selling point just as everything is a massive selling point, including even the last blades of grass. And being one of the most fundamental of things, what that does is (i) symbolise the ongoing economic inequalities (ii) reinforce them and (iii) post 1979, accentuate them.

So in the case of twerking in pop music etc, it is a fairly basic thing. Some might say it is the sort of tribal phenomenon that might be found in a jungle except there it is likely to be more more about life and death in economic terms. It is cultural in a longer-term sense, definitely roots up in emphasis and consequently dignified. Whereas in, say, the jungle of the Bronx, big money makers will take a handful of youngsters away from their hovels and say "we're gonna make you a star". "How?" they are asked. "Just trust us" is the reply followed by the instructions "Sing and Dance to this Rhythm" and "Twerk".

And yeah, those few people get very rich. It's a novelty thing. Fun. No one is in the slightest doubt that those from Yale are unlikely to be twerking other than on that night when they all took a load of drugs and decided hilariously to try to mimic poor people. But - and this is the crucial point - as for the average young member of the public, yes, everyone starts twerking. It is the in thing and the commercial packaging of it is such that it cleverly hints at being upwardly mobile. But the vast majority do not get rich on it. They have a temporary distraction. And if anything any buy in on their part is unwittingly compliance. Compliance with the neo-liberal economic expectation that they will easily display an instinct not to reach for the stars but to swing in the trees without a care about the loss of future state pensions. Hence, you, GFN can twerk if you want to. A Horseradish is not for twerking.

Um - if I had one I'd yellow card the above 2 posts. This thread is for Pure Pop (for Now people).

Quote: Chappers @ 17th April 2015, 11:30 PM BST

Um - if I had one I'd yellow card the above 2 posts. This thread is for Pure Pop (for Now people).

If it is any consolation, it isn't my idea of a Friday night either.

Nor is having to walk for 90 minutes just to get some milk.

Unfortunately, that is the next thing. Where's me survival guide? :(

Quote: A Horseradish @ 17th April 2015, 11:39 PM BST

If it is any consolation, it isn't my idea of a Friday night either.

Nor is having to walk for 90 minutes just to get some milk.

Unfortunately, that is the next thing. Where's me survival guide? :(

Where TF do you live?

Can't you manage without milk?