Only Connect Page 58

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th July 2021, 11:57 PM

So, you had.....................(I've struck the Es through, but it doesn't quite show - Arse!)
E L bow,
E M pathy
E N tropy
And a messy O vert (where's the effin' E?)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what 'homophone' means? 'Bow' sounds like 'elbow' is stretching it a bit to me. And how often are 'pathy' and 'tropy' used without any preceding letters?

Bugger - just watched it again got it (I think). EL -L, EM - M, EN - N. But I still maintain that bow and elbow aren't homophones

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th July 2021, 11:57 PM

comes up regularly in Cryptic crosswords, but rarely Aeon. (And yes, before any stirrers stick their pennyworth in, the Aeon is mainly British, whereas the Eon is the American spelling)

Don't remember ever seeing Aeon as the answer but my crosswording isn't to Morse's standard, more 'Tea Time Teaser' :$

I see. So basically:

If you add the sound of the letter L to the front of bow it sounds like Elbow;
If you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) M to the front of pathy it sounds like Empathy;
If you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) N to the front of tropy it sounds like Entropy;

So they wanted a word to which, if you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) O it sounds like another word. They opted for vert - add the sound of O to the front, it sounds like Overt. Equally they could have opted for pen or men.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight!

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 4:56 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what 'homophone' means? 'Bow' sounds like 'elbow' is stretching it a bit to me. And how often are 'pathy' and 'tropy' used without any preceding letters?

Bugger - just watched it again got it (I think). EL -L, EM - M, EN - N. But I still maintain that bow and elbow aren't homophones

It was midnight when I typed that, and was very hot and very tired, and I think I confused myself. Let me tackle it again with a "fresh" mind.

The homophones were EL, EM and EN, BUT Overt?!? I think not. In fact, the Aeon would have worked better, as you do not pronounce the A (no wonder the Americans spell it Eon!), which gives you L,M,N and O.; Not satisfactory I agree, but there you go, they bend the rules sometimes. BUT, not when I send them in. Angry

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 4:56 AM

Don't remember ever seeing Aeon as the answer but my crosswording isn't to Morse's standard, more 'Tea Time Teaser' :$

I only do Cryptic crosswords all the time, and love 'em! Not interested in Concise ones, with straight answers. I find cryptics easier as they have, in effect, two clues to, or parts of the answer. The only problem with them, is if they change the compiler, as then you have to get into their mindset and style.

I used to do the Sunday Times Clue Writing Contest, and won it about four times I seem to remember, where they give you a word and you have to write a cryptic clue for it, to earn £20 if yours is printed.

Here's the first one I had success with - see if you can work it out. :)

Ice around dodgy funnel causes sway. (9 letters)

Child's play!

Quote: beaky @ 20th July 2021, 9:37 AM

Child's play!

:D Too easy, eh? So easy, beaky doesn't have to answer it............................... Whistling nnocently

Influence with no cheating. Unless you count writing the letters in a circle ;)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th July 2021, 8:20 AM

I see. So basically:

If you add the sound of the letter L to the front of bow it sounds like Elbow;
If you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) M to the front of pathy it sounds like Empathy;
If you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) N to the front of tropy it sounds like Entropy;

So they wanted a word to which, if you add the sound of (the next letter of the alphabet) O it sounds like another word. They opted for vert - add the sound of O to the front, it sounds like Overt. Equally they could have opted for pen or men.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight!

Ohh. Now I get it!

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 10:22 AM

Correctamundo :)

Quote: zooo @ 20th July 2021, 10:50 AM

Ohh. Now I get it!

Glad my explanation cleared it up. Whistling nnocently

Influence, that's it. I neglected to write it down.

Quote: beaky @ 20th July 2021, 9:37 AM

Child's play!

Quote: beaky @ 20th July 2021, 1:23 PM

Influence, that's it. I neglected to write it down.

Yeah, we can all be wise after the event, Whistling nnocently but I'll believe you - thousands wouldn't. :D

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 10:22 AM

You'd be surprised how many people couldn't get that when I showed it to them, AND a lot of them were high school teachers, but I suppose that's understandable if you have a logical mind and cannot think laterally. I even had a couple of them saying, after I explained it, saying "Oh, of course, I see it now. Flue" (as in chimney)

OK, OK all you brain-boxes. Get yer grey matter around this one :-

Clown takes lid off and gets jam everywhere (8 letters)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th July 2021, 3:03 PM

I even had a couple of them saying, after I explained it, saying "Oh, of course, I see it now. Flue" (as in chimney)

Just 'Ice' around an anagram of funnel surely?

Struggling with the second one though :(

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 6:26 PM

Just 'Ice' around an anagram of funnel surely?

Oh of course, it s just that I was taken aback when they thought the answer was because funnel and flue were similar, or the same. I didn't have the heart, or interest, to explain further.

Quote: fasty @ 20th July 2021, 6:26 PM

Struggling with the second one though :(

Thought you would. Pirate

Beaky - is this child's play? :D

Do they get shown the missing letters a fraction of a second after we do when it's broadcast? They always seem to take so LONG to buzz in.

Probably a good second or so I should think because I can't believe the nerds they get on there don't know most of them straight away. Most quiz shows have devised ways to cater for viewers, for example on Mastermind JH won't let the contestant say the answer until he's finished asking the full question. You can tell a lot of the brainboxes know it straight away, but they have to wait.

But Only Connect's already lost me because I find the sequences have got so intricate they're impossible to get now, and the walls have got ridiculously hard. It's become elitist ultra nerd nonsense, now imo. They've overdone it for the average quiz fan.

Again there were two questions I thought were, er, questionable and go against the unwritten rules they enforce, which annoys me very much!! Angry