Only Connect Page 52

Paul Wimsett

• Sunday 8th September 2019, 5:17pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,180 posts

So maybe you mean every question on the show?

Paul Wimsett

• Monday 9th September 2019, 8:33pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,180 posts

Just being pedantic. :)

Steve Sunshine

• Monday 9th September 2019, 10:56pm
  • Dagenham, England
  • 14,531 posts

I haven't watched today's ep yet but I gather my pals did ok if Facebook spoilers are anything to go by will check it out shortly

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Monday 9th September 2019, 11:30pm
  • England
  • 16,083 posts

VERY impressed with the Lexplorers - even at this early stage, if they are not in the final I'll be surprised.

Kenneth

• Tuesday 10th September 2019, 9:00am
  • Australia
  • 5,210 posts

Lexplorers good, though fed copious bonus point opportunities and had the easier wall. It was looking bloody grim following the Intro cringe when that first question, about soothsayers, went begging. And the question editors, McWhortle Snoffler and Hugh Bally Fool, are still forcing their names into the bantz, rendering it painful. Which in this case was simply "we're all too dumb to think of something clever and the host is too lazy to learn the correct pronunciation of Devo, gosh aren't we so witty!" -- followed up by: "I don't care if I can't pronounce Quixote correctly."

The highlight was the Lexplorer chap putting the boot in:
Host: You have zero points, so I'll give you some confidence by asking: Name 2 celebs who wear a fez?
Losing team: Tommy Cooper and Dr Who.
Lexplorer: Wrong, Tommy Cooper's hat is a kaboosh, not a fez.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Tuesday 10th September 2019, 9:40am
  • England
  • 16,083 posts
Quote: Kenneth @ 10th September 2019, 9:00 AM

The highlight was the Lexplorer chap putting the boot in:
Host: You have zero points, so I'll give you some confidence by asking: Name 2 celebs who wear a fez?
Losing team: Tommy Cooper and Dr Who.
Lexplorer: Wrong, Tommy Cooper's hat is a kaboosh, not a fez.

Although seemingly very knowledgeable for someone so young, he is also a tad impetuous with his "correction", also mispronouncing it. The Turkish Fez and Arabic Tarboosh or Tarbush is the same hat and to say that Tommy Cooper wore the latter is technically wrong. There are variants with colour, height and slope, but both are red generally with a black tassel.

Oh, and by the way THIS is a Kaboosh - the type of sunhat worn by babies :-

Kenneth

• Tuesday 10th September 2019, 10:05am
  • Australia
  • 5,210 posts

I look forward to the Intros for the BCG team on Only Connect.