Only Connect Page 47

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th November 2018, 7:13 PM

Who is a traditional English gentleman?

While pondering that question, I shall endeavour to come up with an altogether better answer to the original puzzle.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th November 2018, 5:44 PM

They are all people a traditional English gentleman would prefer his daughter not to marry.

I've posted the fiver, good guess. But no. If you add the connector to Lesbian and posh drug dealer you get a pun, add it to the Irish you get a laugh and add it to Builders you get an eye full.

I have an idea - but it would fit better if the posh drug user were simply a drug dealer of no particular social class.

Also, it doesn't account for the drug user being singular and all the others being plural.

I'll keep thinking.

Maybe you've got it Rood. Just realised its not a pun with the drug dealer, its just a tenuous joke. I'm also aware this question would never get on the show. I'm beginning to appreciate the skill needed writing these questions. That said, we've not got full marks on many of the questions yet. Is this thread just about writing questions or do we get the answers at some point ?

My idea is that they're all crack merchants of one sort or another.

That must be somewhere near it, surely.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th November 2018, 8:12 AM

I'm beginning to appreciate the skill needed writing these questions.

Ta.

The rejection rate is disheartening, but I soldier on. Whistling nnocently

And I'm sorry, just in case you are wondering; but I don't do autographs. Cool

Here's an old Only Connect reject from about 5 years ago - see if you can do it WITHOUT Google. Go on then, I trust you and I expect Rood Eye will cast his Rude Eye over it. ;)

JANETTE TOUGH
CARDEW ROBINSON
GERALD CAMPION
JIMMY CLITHEROE

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th November 2018, 8:42 AM

My idea is that they're all crack merchants of one sort or another.

I would imagine Victoria would say something like "Well done Rood. Let me give myself to you carnally. That's correct." she may follow this with "can you give me a little more" I don't know you well enough to call that.
Technically they all enjoy "The crack." Hence a posh drug dealer, the Irish, the builders crack etc... Now we have completed solve this one, what about the rest ?

Quote: Firkin @ 12th November 2018, 9:38 AM

the Irish,

That's craic, it's only pronounced "crack". No wonder I couldn't get the connection. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th November 2018, 9:14 AM

JANETTE TOUGH
CARDEW ROBINSON
GERALD CAMPION
JIMMY CLITHEROE

When adults played school kids.

Yeah that's one of your favourites in there Kenneth, Billy Bunter. Was Jimmy Clitheroe 'Jimmy Kranky?'

Quote: Firkin @ 10th November 2018, 9:29 AM

Here's a pretty easy one (tee-hee):

The Irish
Lesbians
Builders
A posh drug user.

Whistling nnocently

I thought they were episodes of a 70s sitcom but crack is a good one. I'm sure Victoria would've liked that one, she's quite likely to use them all, being in showbiz!

Quote: Firkin @ 12th November 2018, 8:12 AM

Maybe you've got it Rood. Just realised its not a pun with the drug dealer, its just a tenuous joke. I'm also aware this question would never get on the show. I'm beginning to appreciate the skill needed writing these questions. That said, we've not got full marks on many of the questions yet. Is this thread just about writing questions or do we get the answers at some point ?

You wait two years to see them on the telly. ooh I did that one. That's a good game, can see why Herc's hooked.

Quote: Kenneth @ 12th November 2018, 11:46 AM

When adults played school kids.

I've resisted the temptation to Google and, accordingly, I can't bring to mind an occasion upon which Cardew Robinson played the part of a child when he was an adult.

If they did indeed all play the part of a schoolchild when they were adults, that is certainly a connection.

However, if the above connection is correct, there is also another narrower connection in that they all played the part of schoolboys when they were adults.

I don't know the top one, and don't know if the second one played a school kid, but the last two, definitely, so worth answering.

I'm upside down to you Kenneth, the only one I know wore a school boy's uniform was the frist one, Janette Tough (Krankie). She was also a swinger. Then she went onto lead the Scottish national party. Its looking like you guessed right. Unless ventrioquist or swingers are also involved ? Herc ?

Yes, it was School BOYS specifically - each playing some sort of part in a kid's school uniform

Janette Tough - Wee Jimmy Krankie of course
Cardew Robinson - had an early stage act where he called himself Cardew the Cad
Gerald Campion - Billy Bunter in the TV series of course
Jimmy Clitheroe - the naughty schoolboy who was always getting into trouble both on radio and TV

There's also a fifth one as you have to offer at least one alternative and that was Terry Scott who also, like Cardew Robinson, had a schoolboy stage act in his early career, and who can forget his minor hit with "My Brother"

I think it's quite funny actually.............................."Ere, what you 'ad in your hand........." Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ODRbw69vs

Tonight's episode of Only Connect featured a team of Doctor Who fans.

They were all women - which didn't surprise me as I'm pretty sure that all the male Doctor Who fans had hanged themselves ten minutes into episode one of the current DW series.

Tonight, I excelled myself by getting three questions correct on the second clue: two connections and one sequence.

I was, however, surprised to see a connections answer deemed correct when given after the third clue - despite the fact that, although it applied to the first three clues, the given connection did not apply to the fourth clue.

Surely, in order to be correct, a connection must apply to all four clues?

I say "surely" but we've just been shown tonight that it is most certainly not the case.