Only Connect Page 45

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th November 2018, 9:04 AM

I expect you all to get this one:
A letter from your doctor saying 'Sorry but we can't help you anymore'
A letter from Age Concern asking if you are okay because you haven't used your free bus pass for the last five years
A knock on the door from two menacing characters out of a Harold Pinter play
A vivid and sweaty dream of Victoria Coren Mitchell as a prostrate Brunhilda screaming 'give it to me you puny little nerd' before digressing with 'You know, I once had a chat about Tottenham's poor defensive record with Wagner on top of the no.26 bus to Walthamstow'

I thought it was the Grim Reaper come to collect his dues....................I think about him often. :( Angelic

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th November 2018, 12:44 AM

What do the following 4 clues have in common?

Humphrey Bogart

Clint Eastwood

Billy Joel

Rod Stewart

Is anybody still trying to work this one out?

If not, I'll be very happy to reveal the answer.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th November 2018, 3:19 PM

Is anybody still trying to work this one out?

If not, I'll be very happy to reveal the answer.

That would be most welcome. :)

When I have more time I'll go back a couple of pages as I think there may be others.

Quote: Firkin @ 7th November 2018, 11:42 AM

Kenneth, is your Q about Nottingham ?

More Eastbourne-origin than Nottingham for the fourth in the sequence.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th November 2018, 12:44 AM

What do the following 4 clues have in common?

Humphrey Bogart

Clint Eastwood

Billy Joel

Rod Stewart

As nobody has come up with the correct answer, I can tell you that each of the above men married a woman who was less than half his own age.

Very good, Rood.

Okay here's three clues of a sequence. What comes fourth?

1. Sorry, mind elsewhere.
2. The dark part of the day stretching on.
3. The spouse and immediate relatives.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th November 2018, 4:44 PM

As nobody has come up with the correct answer, I can tell you that each of the above men married a woman who was less than half his own age.

Riiiiight.

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2018, 7:53 AM

Divorcees who married younger women.

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2018, 7:53 AM

Divorcees who married younger women.

Although that answer is correct, I don't think it's sufficiently correct to qualify as the correct answer.

I think most mature showbiz men are divorcees and the overwhelming majority of men marry younger women.

No cigar, I'm afraid!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th November 2018, 5:53 PM

Although that answer is correct, I don't think it's sufficiently correct to qualify as the correct answer.

In which case, you don't qualify as a quiz question-setter.

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th November 2018, 5:55 PM

That may very well be true but I'd be surprised if anybody could come up with four clues for the "connections round" that aren't connected in some blindingly obvious way such as "things that might appear as clues in the connections round on Only Connect".

It's simply not possible to come up with four things that are connected in one way but in no other.

Accordingly, any answer deemed correct must show a connection which is by no means obvious.

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th November 2018, 5:55 PM

Qualifications, Kenneth?

Have you worked mine out yet?

Quote: Kenneth @ 7th November 2018, 11:03 AM

It's a Connections question, aye? The answer is Birthday -- the Pinter clue makes it a bit too easy.

Sorry Kenneth can't give the points as you went for one the reasons instead of the answer. Harold Pinter plays was the answer and his best 4 imlo.
The Caretaker ( Taker away of care)
The Dumb Waiter (That's not a bus stop it's a lamp post!)
The Birthday Party
The Homecoming (sorry to be crude but home cumming)
Semi final grade stuff eh Herc? Oh don't be like that.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th November 2018, 7:03 PM

Qualifications, Kenneth?

What about them? One does not require a certified qualification to qualify as a question-setter. One simply requires competence and the ability to respond "You'll need to be more specific" rather than dismissively saying "No, that's blindingly obvious."

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th November 2018, 6:11 PM

It's simply not possible to come up with four things that are connected in one way but in no other.

Au contraire

Your own connection you put up last week Wise Whistle Dreadful Black had only one answer, and not to list but here's another one I pitched to OC as a sequence about four years ago, but they rejected, which I was pissed off about at the time as I thought it was another gem from the Herc stable :D :-

Bill Brewer Jan Stewer Peter Gurney Peter Davy

This is only one answer.

Having said that I do agree that sometimes on the prog. I see a Connection come up and think to myself "Yes, but it could also be................."

The fourth was Final resting place or Suffering from exposure. They are the concerns of Al in the second verse of Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al".