British Comedy Awards 2014 Page 3

Who's doing the live coverage on behalf of The BCG tonight Aaron?

Me! Probably. Or maybe Mark. We'll both be there.

Brilliant; I look forward to reading your tweets and comments.

Is anyone else watching?

I'm watching on plus one

Nice to see Harry & Paul get the best sketch show
Although Aaron will probably call it a sitcom

I thought it was strange and actually quite disrespectful of this year's Britsh Comedy Awards to completely ignore the passing of the great Rik Mayall.
I expected something would be said about this wonderful comedian, let's face it where would comedy be today without The Young Ones, The Comic Strip, The New Statesman and Bottom.
I expect if one of the "panel show" comedians died it would get a bit of coverage.
Sad really...R.I.P. Dr. The Rik Mayall..

Dead people are rarely tributed on this show, TomTom. Spike Milligan, Eric Sykes, whoever...

I can remember the awards in the past dedicating a small section of the show to the comedians that had passed away that year. Was there nothing at all like this this year? I watch some but not all last night. Brendan what's his name getting the Writers' Guild award made me switch off I'm afraid. Sadly none of The Comic Strip Crowd have ever been recognised much for their writing or work at these awards. I too would have thought as Rik's passing was so sudden and premature it would have been respectful to have had a small mention last night.

No, they've never been in for long tributes at the BCAs as far as I'm aware. The BAFTAs do, however.

Mel Smith didn't get anything last year, and Rik certainly wasn't the only person of note to die in the past 12 months, but all were mentioned in the 'memorial' note pre-credits.

Whilst it's true that The Comic Strip itself hasn't been honoured at the BCAs, both Rik himself and Bottom have, likewise Absolutely Fabulous, Dawn French, and Murder Most Horrid, so it's neither true nor fair to say the 'crowd' haven't been recognised.

Fair point, just been looking over all the past winners.
Couldn't help but notice also how the titles of the awards have altered over the years too. Some were only awarded one or twice!

The year Geoffrey Perkins died (2008) he won Outstanding Contribution to comedy. In 2005 a Posthumous Contribution to Comedy was awarded to Harry Thompson the year he died. In 1998 the year Frank Muir died the Writers Guild went to Frank Muir and Dennis Norden. I remember Dennis Norden came on to accept the award and paid tribute to Frank Muir.

While I accept it's a fun comedy get together to celebrate current comedy trends, they shouldn't just ignore the legends and comedy greats that pass away each year, a memorial note pre-credits quite frankly isn't good enough.