Is it still funny? Page 2

I think the Gaurniad should rate higher The Day Toady and The Orifice...

My friend said the writer had a "tin ear for comedy", which I liked. I mean, comparing The Day Today to The Thick of It because they both have politicians in (although the former not that often), is like comparing Mungo Jerry to Sunn O))) because they both have guitars. Which is not to say you must never do it, but to say one somehow invalidates the other, as if they were different software iterations, or something, is truly idiotic.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th October 2014, 9:35 PM GMT

Who really takes the Grauniad seriously? Apart from themselves?

By far the best cryptic crossword in UK papers, even considering Araucaria's passing. Cool

Quote: gappy @ 27th October 2014, 6:04 PM GMT

By far the best cryptic crossword in UK papers, even considering Araucaria's passing. Cool

In what way best, as I usually "do" The Times one........rarely finish it though. >_<

Quote: sootyj @ 27th October 2014, 12:59 PM GMT

Sadly Aaron that could be applied to pretty much all of the Guardian these days.

Sadly this is true. I have recently given up buying the Guardian of a Saturday (the one day of the week I fork out rather than pick up a freebie) because my eyesight is no longer up to the font size 0.5 used in The Guide, my main reason for the purchase. Instead, I have swallowed my scruples at funding the Murdoch empire of evil, and switched my allegiance to the Times. That reading a newspaper could be a pleasure rather than an irritating chore has come as something of a revelation to me.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th October 2014, 6:58 PM GMT

In what way best, as I usually "do" The Times one........rarely finish it though. >_<

I find it the most inventive, the most audacious. The Times is good, perhaps in some senses (eg Ximenean) better, but I find the Guardian the most fun.

I hate all papers though, never read them. The Graun x-word is free online. Laughing out loud

Quote: gappy @ 27th October 2014, 7:13 PM GMT

I find it the most inventive, the most audacious. The Times is good, perhaps in some senses (eg Ximenean) better, but I find the Guardian the most fun.

I hate all papers though, never read them. The Graun x-word is free online. Laughing out loud

Now that is interesting. I never read the papers either :) , but fortunately they buy The Times at the school where I work, so photocopy it. I think it used to be about £25 to subscribe to the paper - hardly worth it just for the crossword. >_<

I will certainly check it out - not unless you have the link by any chance?
Whistling nnocently

Quote: Aaron @ 27th October 2014, 12:52 PM GMT

In short, I think we all agree that the article is bollocks written by nitwits.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th October 2014, 12:59 PM GMT

Sadly Aaron that could be applied to pretty much all of the Guardian these days.

I was just about to say the same thing - apart from "these days."

Quote: gappy @ 27th October 2014, 7:13 PM GMT

I find the Guardian the most fun.

I never thought I'd ever see anyone describe the Guardian as fun!

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2014, 9:30 PM GMT

I never thought I'd ever see anyone describe the Guardian as fun!

They're talking about the crossword. :|

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th October 2014, 9:36 PM GMT

They're talking about the crossword. :|

I can read! Surprisingly.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2014, 9:46 PM GMT

I can read! Surprisingly.

No he can't. It's his "lady guardian" telling him what it says.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2014, 9:30 PM GMT

I was just about to say the same thing - apart from "these days."

That's thing, for all the right wing sneers, the Guardian was once a home to diverse viewpoints and some of the most elegant and witty stylists in English journalism.

It is embarrassing that the paper that once boasted Nancy Banks-Smith and Charlie Brooker as it's television columnists is reduced to this humourless, politically correct posturing.

I also rate the Telegraph crossword - easier than Times or Graun, but really neat and satisfyingly put together (also, my first cryptic, because my parents bought the Toryguff).

Quote: Tursiops @ 28th October 2014, 10:19 AM GMT

That's thing, for all the right wing sneers, the Guardian was once a home to diverse viewpoints and some of the most elegant and witty stylists in English journalism.

It is embarrassing that the paper that once boasted Nancy Banks-Smith and Charlie Brooker as it's television columnists is reduced to this humourless, politically correct posturing.

Ooh good point. Screenburn must be one of the best columns ever and Nancy Banks-Smith could make art from the worst telly.

No wonder the author still thinks The Young Ones is funny; like most Guardian readers he and his opinions are almost exactly like Rik!

I thought The Young Ones was great at the time, but it's dated horribly - much worse than any of the other comedies mentioned in that article. The only good bits are the slapstick bits with Viv and Rik and some of the band performances.